News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Was there any surprise moves (cuts or additions) by the Giants

Started by MightyGiants, August 31, 2023, 12:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

With the 53-man roster and PS settled (for the time being), was there anything that surprised you?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Not dramatically. There certainly weren't any shocks for me. Guys like Corbin and Crowder I thought had solid chances to make the squad, but I wouldn't say either shocked me when they were cut.

Dgoodmantrublu

Beavers and Phillips were mild surprises, but I bet they make it back to the roster at some point during the season.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fast Eddie Felson on August 31, 2023, 01:18:03 PMLemieux over Sean Harlowe.

I've been hard on Lemieux, and to be clear I'm not really changing my opinion, but it seems he had a very good camp overall (at least relative to expectations). Maybe he's managed to improve to a point where he is worthy of being a depth guard. I would not have said even that about him a year or two ago.

Jclayton92

35 yr old Taiwan Jones over Joh Corbin sounds pretty absurd when you say it outloud.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 31, 2023, 03:36:19 PM35 yr old Taiwan Jones over Joh Corbin sounds pretty absurd when you say it outloud.

Corbin himself seems to agree, which is perhaps why he has taken his business elsewhere.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 31, 2023, 03:36:19 PM35 yr old Taiwan Jones over Joh Corbin sounds pretty absurd when you say it outloud.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 31, 2023, 03:40:44 PMCorbin himself seems to agree, which is perhaps why he has taken his business elsewhere.

Q: What was the thought process of cutting (running back Jashaun) Corbin? It seemed like he had a pretty good camp.

A: It was a competition, and we kept the four that we kept. Trying to get him on the practice squad, it's his choice to go somewhere else, but when you cut a player 31 other teams have the opportunity to claim him. It happened last year, and he stayed on the practice squad, and it happened again this year and nobody claimed him so it's his right to look elsewhere and that's what he decided to do.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

So if Corbin was offered a PS spot but chose to go to another team then why are we saying Schoen chose Taiwan Jones over him?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: TDToomer on August 31, 2023, 03:45:27 PMSo if Corbin was offered a PS spot but chose to go to another team then why are we saying Schoen chose Taiwan Jones over him?
Because no one was aware of it until Rich just posted that.

MightyGiants

I will say the Giants cutting Tyree Philips from the PS was a surprise
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

Guess I was more wrong about Phillips than I previously thought.

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 31, 2023, 01:07:32 PMBeavers and Phillips were mild surprises, but I bet they make it back to the roster at some point during the season.