News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Cowboys have found a couple of underrated gems

Started by GloryDays, September 02, 2023, 03:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

It looks like the hated cowboys are also doing a decent job in drafting, at least getting big value at running back.
After dropping Elliot, they drafted Deuce Vaughn in the 6th round. Vaughn who was one of my favorite sleepers in the draft, is a short but strong, quick and fast RB with great hands. He is elusive and dangerous in the open field.
I was watching Cowboys Raiders 3rd preseason game and noticed this Kid Hunter Luepke who went undrafted I think mainly because he was listed as a FB from NDSU. He did everything in this game, 115 yards in 15 Carries and 5 catches!
These two RBs who will probably get some touches against us next week are quite dangerous and can not be taken lightly.

On the other hand, they mistakenly traded to get Trey Lance who has been a disappointing high first round pick by the 9ers. They made this trade while they had a very good prospect in Will Grier who played really good in the preseason game I watched, 29/35 305 plus 55 yards running!. Trading for Lance tied their hands as they were forced to keep 3 QBs and there was no room for Grier. As soon as he was waived a bunch of teams tried to sign the kid off waivers. Grier chose the Bengals. The boys will regret this move for years because from what I saw, Grier will be a successful starter in the league at some point.

For the upcoming game, this is how I see this Cowboys team:
While their passing game is not so strong with Prescott, they seem to have a potent running game.
Their defense is improved, their pass-rush is strong and their CBs do a pretty good job man2man, sticking to the receiver.

This game comes down to winning the battle in the trenches. To come out on top, our O line has to do a decent job holding off their rushers and our D line must have a good rate of success in pressuring Zack and controlling their running game.

I foresee a challenging game for our boys right off the bat. If they can beat this team next Sunday, we have a real contender this year.

4xchamps

Just my opinion.

I disagree that that Cowboys don't have a strong passing game "with Dak." Dak is a solid QB if not a top 10 in the league QB.

And I feel that their running game will take a hit this year. We'll see what Pollard is made of being the 100% bell-cow back, coming back from a broken leg less than 9 months ago. Their 6th round back will get 3 carries a game. No fear here.

I would also say, don't put too much on an opening day game. By week 8 neither of these teams will look anything like they do in week 1. That said, F the Cowboys. I feel an ambush coming to the tune of 31-20 Giants.

LFG Giants!

Uni

Mark Schlereth ripped Jerry Jones for the Lance trade. Apparently, Jones made the trade on his own without consulting the coaches or front office!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Jolly Blue Giant

QuoteIt looks like the hated cowboys are also doing a decent job in drafting, at least getting big value at running back.
After dropping Elliot, they drafted Deuce Vaughn in the 6th round. Vaughn who was one of my favorite sleepers in the draft, is a short but strong, quick and fast RB with great hands. He is elusive and dangerous in the open field.
I was watching Cowboys Raiders 3rd preseason game and noticed this Kid Hunter Luepke who went undrafted I think mainly because he was listed as a FB from NDSU. He did everything in this game, 115 yards in 15 Carries and 5 catches!
These two RBs who will probably get some touches against us next week are quite dangerous and can not be taken lightly. Glory Days

Disagree with the Vaughn accolades, totally agree on the Luepke accolades

Deuce Vaughn is a very small running back. Will be the smallest player in the NFL. He's quick and can scat, but his size will be his demise in the NFL. Running backs are fair game for tacklers to cripple. Unlike QBs, WRs, etc., RBs get virtually no protection from the guys in stripes. I know that it's a feel good story because his father has worked for the Cowboys for several years, but IMHO, he's just too small to sustain the brutal life of a RB in the NFL

Now Hunter Luepke - he's a stud. I wanted him as a late round pick and was surprised he didn't get drafted. At 6'1" and 240 lbs, he's a bowling ball who can knock over LBs like pins on an alley. He's a handful to bring down and he runs with a mean-ass demeanor. Reminds me of a shorter version of Brandon Jacobs. A handful to tackle

The game next week will give us an indication of how well we handle the running game now that we've added Okereke, Nachos, and A'Shawn. I suspect that Dallas will run the ball alot because Dak has a propensity to throw into traffic and turn the ball over (last season, he threw 15 picks in 12 games played  =D> ). He will be monitored closely by his coaches as his no.1 goal this year will be to stop throwing interceptions (sorta like DJ had to go through). So a QB worried about throwing picks, prefers to hand the ball to a back and say, "here you go kid...good luck"
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Trench

Okereke, (I believe) will be the key to beating Dallas

kingm56

Quote from: GloryDays on September 02, 2023, 03:30:37 AMWhile their passing game is not so strong with Prescott, they seem to have a potent running game.

Over the last 5 years, Prescott was #7, #6, and #2 in passing yards.  The two years he didn't place in the top 10 (2020 and 2022), he only played 5 and 12 games; still, his 17 game averages for both seasons would have placed him in the Top 10.  When you consider they have 3 WRs with 1K yard receiving seasons, one of which is top 10 wr, and an excellent receiving tailback, their talent suggest they should finish among the NFC leaders in passing yards/TDs; of course, this assumes Dak stays healthy.  Also, I wouldn't classify Dallas as a running team; they have transitioned to a pass-first model, like everyone else...

I also don't believe you can glean anything from the 1st game of the season.  Last year, Da Bears beat the the 49ers; the latter played in the NFC Championship game, while the former 'earned' a top 10 draft pick.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on September 02, 2023, 10:08:47 AMOver the last 5 years, Prescott was #7, #6, and #2 in passing yards.  The two years he didn't place in the top 10 (2020 and 2022), he only played 5 and 12 games; still, his 17 game averages for both seasons would have placed him in the Top 10.  When you consider they have 3 WRs with 1K yard receiving seasons, one of which is top 10 wr, and an excellent receiving tailback, their talent suggest they should finish among the NFC leaders in passing yards/TDs; of course, this assumes Dak stays healthy.  Also, I wouldn't classify Dallas as a running team; they have transitioned to a pass-first model, like everyone else...

If you go more expansive stats

QB Rating- Prescott 25th

QBR-  Prescott 12th

PFF (50% filter) 17th
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

I think Dallas had a terrible draft at the top portion. The DT they drafted isn't as good as our 7th rounder. And the TE they took wasn't as good as other TEs on the board. I think they clearly had the worst draft in our division. But we'll see.

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 02, 2023, 10:15:38 AMIf you go more expansive stats

QB Rating- Prescott 25th

QBR-  Prescott 12th

PFF (50% filter) 17th

So passing yards and TD have nothing to do with offensive rankings?  Funny, I thought the NFL ranked offenses by yards, not QBR....

Dgoodmantrublu

Dak was a bit unlucky last year. Kind of a similar year to Eli in 2010. He's better than that interception number suggests. Geno Smith was the opposite. Geno was incredibly lucky in turnover worthy throws not becoming turnovers. That's why I'm not as high on Seattle as other people seem to be.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 02, 2023, 12:21:38 PMI think Dallas had a terrible draft at the top portion. The DT they drafted isn't as good as our 7th rounder. And the TE they took wasn't as good as other TEs on the board. I think they clearly had the worst draft in our division. But we'll see.

They took DT Mazi Smith in the first round when it was a luxury pick and didn't fill a need. They wanted Dalton Kincaid and Jerry showed a pissed off face when the Bills jumped them to grab Kincaid. However, they could have taken Michael Mayer(rated no 1 TE) or Luke Musgrave (rated no 3 TE), but punted by taking Smith. Jerry caught on tape saying, "whatever, it's all a bunch of xxxx" with a disgusted look on his face

In the second round, they took TE Luke Schoonmaker, the 7th rated TE in the draft. The very next pick by the Bills grabbed the no. 1 rated OG, O'Cyrus Torrence. And the Cowboys have an aging line that has digressed a lot in the last couple of years. Torrence was expected off the board in the first round and would have been a steal for the Cowboys at a position of need

In the third, they took LB DeMarvion Overshown, who wasn't a bad pick by any means, but he could have been had later...I think anyway

Yeah, this wasn't a great draft for the Cowboys. By the time they took Deuce Vaughn (who was likely headed for UDFA status), it was done mainly to pay homage to his father, Chris Vaughn who was one of the Cowboy's scouts and a friend of Jerry's

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on September 02, 2023, 01:05:15 PMSo passing yards and TD have nothing to do with offensive rankings?  Funny, I thought the NFL ranked offenses by yards, not QBR....

One of the nice things about using the measures I do is it forces someone to consider ALL the measures.   Matt, you keep talking about passing yards and TDs, but you keep "forgetting" about Prescott's league-leading (in just 12 games) 15 INTs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 02, 2023, 01:49:16 PMOne of the nice things about using the measures I do is it forces someone to consider ALL the measures.   Matt, you keep talking about passing yards and TDs, but you keep "forgetting" about Prescott's league-leading (in just 12 games) 15 INTs

Not at all; however, I don't view one year in a vacuum. With Prescott, we have 7-years worth of data to consider.  He also just turned 30; so, it's not like age should be a factor.  The data suggest that with a healthy Dak, Dallas is among the best passing teams in the NFL.

Jolly Blue Giant

The true measure of any player is the number of times you take your team to the Super Bowl and WIN. Stats for stats' sake mean nothing in the long run. It's like the old argument about who was better, Michael Jordan or Lebron. Jordon brought home six championships, five MVPs, and ten scoring titles. Hard to argue those stats. The answer is Jordan

Some say that Babe Ruth wouldn't have been the superstar he was because half his HR's were barely over the short fence in right field. But does it matter if it's a 330 feet HR barely clearing the wall compared to a 460' moon shot with an exit velocity over 120 MPH? The end result is all that counts

Football is a team sport, and the QB is responsible for a lot more than throwing the ball. He's analyzing defensive formations, making snap decisions under duress, knows his receivers inside and out, knows when to get rid of the ball, when to leave the pocket, making mental calculations about when the receiver will be at the right spot considering how he's covered, etc. The QB doesn't act in a vacuum...he's surrounded by ten other players on the field at the same time and they have to work together in systematic harmony. It's why Tom Brady is unequaled when it comes to being the GOAT, and he didn't have the greatest arm, or fastest legs, or even the best receivers. He simply knew how to win

Dak has been surrounded by superior teammates...and in fact, some claim the only good years he had was when Dallas' o-line was the best in the nation affecting (in a very positive way) his ability to stand in the pocket and wait for an open man. Regardless, even under those circumstances, he failed to bring home the bacon. And now that the Eagles have more talent, the Giants have more talent, and the Cowboy's o-line is average at best and some talent decline IMHO...it's hard to fathom him putting a ring on his finger anytime soon. His best opportunity has passed. However, kudos to him for using those best years to get a superstar contract while the gettin was good

Dgoodmantrublu

I don't think Mazi Smith was a luxury pick. I think it was a poor player evaluation. They have a need for a truly good DT. He just isn't that.

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 02, 2023, 01:41:18 PMThey took DT Mazi Smith in the first round when it was a luxury pick and didn't fill a need. They wanted Dalton Kincaid and Jerry showed a pissed off face when the Bills jumped them to grab Kincaid. However, they could have taken Michael Mayer(rated no 1 TE) or Luke Musgrave (rated no 3 TE), but punted by taking Smith. Jerry caught on tape saying, "whatever, it's all a bunch of xxxx" with a disgusted look on his face

In the second round, they took TE Luke Schoonmaker, the 7th rated TE in the draft. The very next pick by the Bills grabbed the no. 1 rated OG, O'Cyrus Torrence. And the Cowboys have an aging line that has digressed a lot in the last couple of years. Torrence was expected off the board in the first round and would have been a steal for the Cowboys at a position of need

In the third, they took LB DeMarvion Overshown, who wasn't a bad pick by any means, but he could have been had later...I think anyway

Yeah, this wasn't a great draft for the Cowboys. By the time they took Deuce Vaughn (who was likely headed for UDFA status), it was done mainly to pay homage to his father, Chris Vaughn who was one of the Cowboy's scouts and a friend of Jerry's