News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Credit to the Offensive Line for their second half play

Started by Rambo89, September 17, 2023, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2023, 08:29:50 PM3 false starts and a negated TD with a holding call, and you are going to claim to mention that is "nitpicking"  seriously?  :what:
Still night and day better than the starters from last week. The pass protection was solid. The run blocking got better as the game progressed. I think McKeathan deserves that RG position. Ezeudu who struggled as a Guard looks to have supplanted Peart at the Swing Tackle. We know they won't tank Neal this season unless he has a total Glowinski meltdown.

The reason DJ had success passing was because of the play of this Oline today.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 17, 2023, 08:38:33 PMStill night and day better than the starters from last week. The pass protection was solid. The run blocking got better as the game progressed. I think McKeathan deserves that RG position. Ezeudu who struggled as a Guard looks to have supplanted Peart at the Swing Tackle. We know they won't tank Neal this season unless he has a total Glowinski meltdown.

I am not sure I would use last week's O-line as a measure.  Now I actually am going to nitpick.  I would think it would be better to say the O-line allowed Jones to be successful rather than saying they were the reason he was successful.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 17, 2023, 08:38:33 PMStill night and day better than the starters from last week. The pass protection was solid. The run blocking got better as the game progressed. I think McKeathan deserves that RG position. Ezeudu who struggled as a Guard looks to have supplanted Peart at the Swing Tackle. We know they won't tank Neal this season unless he has a total Glowinski meltdown.

I hope Neal becomes what I thought he would. 

After today, and it's extremely premature,  I can't help but think that Ezeudu as the RT and Neal kicking in to guard would be the n
Best line this team can field right now.

Ezeudu looks natural on the outside but seems to lack the power to handle the bigger inside guys.  Neal has an opposite thing going where he can dominate those big insides, but cannot keep up with outside speed.

Dgoodmantrublu

I thought the holding call was horrid. Hands inside the entire time. I thought Neal just finished his block.

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 17, 2023, 10:03:06 PMI hope Neal becomes what I thought he would. 

After today, and it's extremely premature,  I can't help but think that Ezeudu as the RT and Neal kicking in to guard would be the n
Best line this team can field right now.

Ezeudu looks natural on the outside but seems to lack the power to handle the bigger inside guys.  Neal has an opposite thing going where he can dominate those big insides, but cannot keep up with outside speed.
We don't know if Neal would make a solid Guard or not. That his next destination if he can't cut it at Tackle. From my perspective though, he's top heavy and doesn't have a solid base. He's not good with his hands yet. He's slow to get out of his stance. I can't see him pulling. Not the makeup of a Guard, but he would make a good Run Blocker. I'm pretty optimistic about McKeathan.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2023, 08:44:01 PMI am not sure I would use last week's O-line as a measure.  Now I actually am going to nitpick.  I would think it would be better to say the O-line allowed Jones to be successful rather than saying they were the reason he was successful.

Don't forget the play of Bellinger today. He was kept mainly on the line to help block as far as I could see. Unfortunately he needs to play that role so his offensive plays likely will suffer. But it's necessary for now

Rosehill Jimmy

Neal - 15 career starts
McKethan -1 career start
JMS - 2 career starts
Bredeson -11 career starts
Ezeudu - 3 career starts

Considering the lack of experience across the ENTIRE line, I think they acquitted themselves quite well
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Rambo89

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on September 17, 2023, 11:56:34 PMNeal - 15 career starts
McKethan -1 career start
JMS - 2 career starts
Bredeson -11 career starts
Ezeudu - 3 career starts

Considering the lack of experience across the ENTIRE line, I think they acquitted themselves quite well

Absolutely.  Don't think you can nitpick the penalties when they haven't played much together as a unit.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

It was good to see Neal recover from that disastrous Dallas game. I think a lot of it is mental for him. He gets flustered and discombobulated and loses grasp on his fundamentals. He's thinking too much.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

RelaxTension

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 17, 2023, 07:20:58 PMI thought McKeathan and Ezeudu did very well today. That's important as we move forward.
It was real nice to see the coaches make the change at RG and with Berdeson hurt it looks like Ezeudu will be the LG once Thomas gets back.
This week will be the real test for these players and the team.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

B1GBLUE

They absolutely played a great game. even in the first half, they were holding it down. ezudu looks pretty good at tackle! and mcethan? i think his name is? didnt hear his name called all game. JMS played a clean game. Neal looked better but had some bad penalties. i guess ill take that over sacks. glowinski looks like he doesnt GAF out there. but he settled in nicely after some time as well.

arizona put up 6 sacks the week before. so to protect as well as we did, it deserves major props.

RelaxTension

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 17, 2023, 10:12:39 PMI thought the holding call was horrid. Hands inside the entire time. I thought Neal just finished his block.
Disagree the player he was holding made a move to get Jones and he should be able to shread the block going a way from Neal.
I would be upset if a Giants defender was being held like that and couldn't fill the hole to make the stop.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

B1GBLUE

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 17, 2023, 07:23:47 PMAbsolutely crazy thought.  When AT  becomes available, put him at RT (he got his big LT contract so he should be OK with that), leave Ezeadu at LT and drop Neal into RG.

i think id be more inclined to see how EZ looks at RT. but if we are better as a unit with EZ at left and thomas at right...do it. move neal inside. we gotta get this fixed.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2023, 08:44:01 PMI am not sure I would use last week's O-line as a measure.  Now I actually am going to nitpick.  I would think it would be better to say the O-line allowed Jones to be successful rather than saying they were the reason he was successful.

agreed. ive been waiting to see a game we could fairly judge jones. in the first half, the protection was good enough and jones was stinking it up and i was ready to change my tune on him. then the protection continued being good in second half, and jones absolutely lit it up.

MightyGiants

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 18, 2023, 08:12:49 AMagreed. ive been waiting to see a game we could fairly judge jones. in the first half, the protection was good enough and jones was stinking it up and i was ready to change my tune on him. then the protection continued being good in second half, and jones absolutely lit it up.

Exactly, Jones finally had NFL caliber protection and receiving and we got to see what he was capable of
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE