News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Let's be real

Started by LennG, September 17, 2023, 08:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Surely not to take anything away from our terrific win, it was one for the ages (I was ready to take off and burn my lucky Manning road jersey) but alas, it lives to be worn another day.

If we think Wink and Kafka did a poor job as coordinators, WTF happened to Arizona? This Dobbs was throwing the ball all over the field, yet when we started our come back, they seemed to go into an ultra-conservative game plan. Really, it seemed as if, once we knew it was going to be Conner, left, the Conner right, our defense put the clamps on that and forced them into several big 3rd and longs. Another typical prevent offense, trying to seal a victory instead of going out and winning the game.
Don't get me wrong, I am elated, and hats off to the entire Giants team, coaches and all for making the right half-time adjustments, but the Card's coaching staff blew this one big time.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Len,

I can't disagree; this defense gives me a lot of causes for concern.  The Giants added some serious FA talent and draft picks to boost this defense.  So it's disturbing to see how poorly they have been playing.   Still, I will enjoy the win, at least for tonight.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

Sometimes when you add a lot of new pieces, it takes some time to come together.

MagicRat

Lots of concerns after 6 quarters of pure crap, but we'd put ourselves in a 20 point hole, dug ourselves out of it and sit 1-1.
Now, I'm REALLY curious to see how we do against the niners.
The D mega worried me first half (Jaysus, as did the O) but the second half showed we still have some minerals about us.
I think we lose on Thursday night (Friday off work....malbec anyone?) but let's see if we're competitive.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Philosophers

Let's give some credit for stopping the Cards at 28 points when it looked lime they'd put up 40.  Two consecutive 3 and outs at the end were brilliant.

TDToomer

Gannon and the Cards has some curious offensive play calling once the Giants started their comeback. They were dead set on having Connor run the clock out but credit to Wink and the defense for stopping what was working for them. I mean we had no answer for stopping Dobbs legs and the never called a single QB run play the 2nd half.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jaime

Before we break our arms patting each other on the back, let's put this comeback win in some perspective. And as Mighty said, I'll enjoy the W for tonight.
Even if the Cards get their #1 QB back soon, I see them as a six win Team, which makes them a door mat. So our dynamic come back win was vs. a door mat quality Opponent.

If I'm to be truly impressed, we need to put a quality effort on the Field in San Fran on four days rest.  You'd think the Sched Makers would at least cut us some slack by making the Niners tilt a home Game for us...

LennG

Quote from: Philosophers on September 17, 2023, 09:49:16 PMLet's give some credit for stopping the Cards at 28 points when it looked lime they'd put up 40.  Two consecutive 3 and outs at the end were brilliant.

When the Cards basically were trying to run out the clock and they sort of made it easier for us to stop them, I wouldn't exactly call Wink and our defense brilliant. Sure I give them all the credit for making them punt, but we have seen this far too many times, especially with our own Giants, they go into a shell instead of doing what they were doing all game.  Brilliant, far from it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Trench

Quote from: LennG on September 18, 2023, 10:32:57 AMWhen the Cards basically were trying to run out the clock and they sort of made it easier for us to stop them, I wouldn't exactly call Wink and our defense brilliant. Sure I give them all the credit for making them punt, but we have seen this far too many times, especially with our own Giants, they go into a shell instead of doing what they were doing all game.  Brilliant, far from it.

Fair point LennG. Your post points out the sincere way that fans can view things vastly different and both can be correct in the eyes of the beholder.

BluesCruz

Again Id love to see Coughlin get a shot

He cannot possibly make this D worse....its been horrible during the 60-0 6 quarters
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Painter

Quote from: Trench on September 18, 2023, 10:46:49 AMFair point LennG. Your post points out the sincere way that fans can view things vastly different and both can be correct in the eyes of the beholder.

Fans see only what they want to see which is not meant as criticism. The question is what did we  see yesterday which was not only unpredictable but downright unimaginable- until it wasn't. And so now, what do make of it as it is processed through our personal biases and conceits? Something positive, I would hope.

Cheers!

Trench

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 11:24:32 AMAgain Id love to see Coughlin get a shot

He cannot possibly make this D worse....its been horrible during the 60-0 6 quarters

I felt the same way in game thread yesterday. He appears to be a textbook type defender

uconnjack8

I feel like this getting behind early is eerily familiar.   Yes, it's great to pull that game out, but teams generally don't win a lot if games where they are down 20 early.  And its 2 weeks in a row that happened

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 18, 2023, 01:38:34 PMI feel like this getting behind early is eerily familiar.   Yes, it's great to pull that game out, but teams generally don't win a lot if games where they are down 20 early.  And its 2 weeks in a row that happened

Agreed.

We had to score 31 (technically 29) points in a single half to win yesterday. There is a very realistic chance that doesn't happen again this year.