News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

In the second half Jones did something no other QB in history has done

Started by MightyGiants, September 17, 2023, 09:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aBladeOfBlue

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 18, 2023, 08:15:32 AMAgain that same standard should be applied to the Offensive Line and Receiving group that has gotten hammered in the past.
I agree he should be held accountable for ball security, decision-making, going through his reads, throw accurately etc. You just can't hold him accountable for having 1.7 seconds to make litterally anything.....running, escaping, surviving, and the distant last, throwing. The guy did not had the time to set his feet. This was unlike yesterday's second half where he could throw laser beams like the TD to Hodgins.

Rambo89

Quote from: aBladeOfBlue on September 18, 2023, 08:54:01 AMI agree he should be held accountable for ball security, decision-making, going through his reads, throw accurately etc. You just can't hold him accountable for having 1.7 seconds to make litterally anything.....running, escaping, surviving, and the distant last, throwing. The guy did not had the time to set his feet. This was unlike yesterday's second half where he could throw laser beams like the TD to Hodgins.

Missed the point about the "unfair" criticism of the offensive line and WR's for all of the Giants issues on offense according to a group of Giants fans.  What you described for Daniel Jones needs to be applied to those units as well if we want to be fair and not have a double standard.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

T200

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 18, 2023, 08:56:27 AMMissed the point about the "unfair" criticism of the offensive line and WR's for all of the Giants issues on offense according to a group of Giants fans.  What you described for Daniel Jones needs to be applied to those units as well if we want to be fair and not have a double standard.
It has been said ad infinitum that Jones can't succeed without a supporting cast.

If he gets the love for that epic comeback, his supporting cast needs to be at the table eating alongside him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

Hey if he puts up 31 points in one half

Theoretically he can put up 62 in a full game

What is the Giants record for most points scored in a game?
I think it was against the Skins in a losing effort
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: GloryDays on September 18, 2023, 01:13:01 AMHis performance when the O line gave him time served as a real confidence builder for himself and a middle finger to his unfair critics.

Fortunately for us, DJ blocks out all the criticism.   It took real mental toughness to bounce back in the second half the way he did, especially after the D tried to derail the momentum by giving up 8 after the Giants scored their first 7 points.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: T200 on September 18, 2023, 09:16:22 AMIt has been said ad infinitum that Jones can't succeed without a supporting cast.

If he gets the love for that epic comeback, his supporting cast needs to be at the table eating alongside him.

Agreed

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on September 18, 2023, 09:16:22 AMIt has been said ad infinitum that Jones can't succeed without a supporting cast.

True, but if you ignore DJ sitting at the head of the table, you might be in the unfair critic category.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

aBladeOfBlue

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 18, 2023, 08:56:27 AMMissed the point about the "unfair" criticism of the offensive line and WR's for all of the Giants issues on offense according to a group of Giants fans.  What you described for Daniel Jones needs to be applied to those units as well if we want to be fair and not have a double standard.
You are right. I missed the point. So what I can say, is fairness is related to the evaluation any position with the right set of criteria. While I agree with the (un)fairness of the evaluation of Daniel Jones, I don't agree with the middle finger part of it. The guy looks like a class act and not a Toney kindof act.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: aBladeOfBlue on September 18, 2023, 07:53:49 AMIt's a team sports, and the epitome of this is probably the QB position. It depends on route running, oline play, playcall, blitz pickup...just to name a few. Not having the time for a play to develop and players to get seperation, it wrecks any QB's game. So harsh critics, Daniel Jones was not deserving them. But, in yesterday's game, we saw some sense of urgency kicking in. Jones was quicker in decision making, moving way better in the pocket. Prioritizing evading the rush then making a play. The Cardinals also seemed to quit on spying Daniel Jones after the bomb to Hyatt. That bit them alot, giving Jones his legs back.

Welcome, great post

I've said it before and I'll say it again. All NFL quarterbacks have incredible athletic ability and even the mental acuity to play the game. That's how they got here in the first place. The huge wild card though, is that "inner competitor", an instinct that takes over and just shows some guys have a knack to find ways to win. Brady had it, Mahommes has it, Peyton, Rogers, etc. It's not like those guys are some kind of athletic freaks...in fact, quite the opposite in most cases. It's like in the middle of a game, something clicks inside that says, "I will not lose this game" and instincts take over and they carry the team on their back. Those kinds of players come out every few years and it's impossible to analyze and foresee when drafting one. This metaphysical phenomenon is the reason I think Dak is overrated - he doesn't appear to have that "knack" or that "killer instinct" so necessary to be an icon in the sport, and folds under pressure when the stakes are the highest, whilst the great ones rise to the occasion.

Dare I say it: "I'm beginning to think DJ is that type of person".
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 18, 2023, 09:47:05 AMTrue, but if you ignore DJ sitting at the head of the table, you might be in the unfair critic category.
I asked in the other thread: What is fair and unfair criticism?

DJ is the QB of the team. He always sits at the head of the table. But here's where things divide on this site:

Giants win >> DJ is at the head of the table and should get the lion's share of the credit.

Giants lose >> DJ is at the head of the table and his supporting cast gets the lion's share of the blame.

Those who criticize Jones are called out for having an agenda, never liking Jones, etc.

Those who support Jones are called out for blue-washing his faults, blaming his supporting cast, etc.

Sadly, I don't see an end in sight. Happened with Eli as well.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 18, 2023, 10:03:52 AMWelcome, great post

I've said it before and I'll say it again. All NFL quarterbacks have incredible athletic ability and even the mental acuity to play the game. That's how they got here in the first place. The huge wild card though, is that "inner competitor", an instinct that takes over and just shows some guys have a knack to find ways to win. Brady had it, Mahommes has it, Peyton, Rogers, etc. It's not like those guys are some kind of athletic freaks...in fact, quite the opposite in most cases. It's like in the middle of a game, something clicks inside that says, "I will not lose this game" and instincts take over and they carry the team on their back. Those kinds of players come out every few years and it's impossible to analyze and foresee when drafting one. This metaphysical phenomenon is the reason I think Dak is overrated - he doesn't appear to have that "knack" or that "killer instinct" so necessary to be an icon in the sport, and folds under pressure when the stakes are the highest, whilst the great ones rise to the occasion.

I think there are toughness has two aspects.  One is physical, which is the ability to tolerate pain and not be bothered by the idea of getting hit.  The other is mental toughness, which is the ability not to get down on one's self or choke in the big moments.

To DJ, I don't think there is any doubt about his physical toughness.  As to mental toughness, his leading the team to a historic comeback showed just how mentally tough he can be.  That said, it's hard to overlook that the poor pass protection seemed to rattle him some last week, and it appeared it took half a game before he started trusting his line.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 18, 2023, 10:03:52 AMWelcome, great post

I believe sometimes you can "see" it. Deion Sanders son is an example. It's clear he has an "it" factor. I see it in some form also with Mack Jones

Thegratefulhead

We have something special, some of us missed it. 

That is OK.

We saw the same kid in Minnesota in the playoffs and Jones did things in that game that no QB ever has.https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/16/new-york-giants-daniel-jones-made-nfl-history-playoff-upset-minnesota-vikings/ He just did again.  Ascending player, be careful with absolute criticisms, Jones is about to take flight.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on September 18, 2023, 10:16:31 AMI asked in the other thread: What is fair and unfair criticism?

DJ is the QB of the team. He always sits at the head of the table. But here's where things divide on this site:

Giants win >> DJ is at the head of the table and should get the lion's share of the credit.

Giants lose >> DJ is at the head of the table and his supporting cast gets the lion's share of the blame.

Those who criticize Jones are called out for having an agenda, never liking Jones, etc.

Those who support Jones are called out for blue-washing his faults, blaming his supporting cast, etc.

Sadly, I don't see an end in sight. Happened with Eli as well.

I think the commonality is that, like with Eli, too many fans rush to judgment.  Once you declare your judgment, it's hard to maintain objectivity.  Remember how many fans had declared by 2007 that Eli Manning was not a franchise QB and never led the team to a Super Bowl (based on his play and playoff losses since coming into the league.  With DJ, he didn't even get that much time before being declared a below-average QB who the Giants made a mistake drafting or drafted too high.

The controversy will remain until the Giants move on from DJ or DJ wins at least one Super Bowl. 

I will add this in terms of perspective.  Many NFL QBs get NFL-caliber support; it's pretty common.  Not every QB who gets that sort of support plays like Daniel Jones did yesterday.  Of course, since it took time for the offense to get going and DJ did not appear to start trusting his O-line until the second half, there will be those who will focus on that aspect of his game because it's supportive of their views.

We seem to be in a sort of Rorschach phase in terms of Daniel Jones and the NY Giants.  We are all looking at the football equivalent of an ink blotch and our inclinations mold what we shape we see.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Thegratefulhead on September 18, 2023, 10:26:49 AMWe have something special, some of us missed it. 

That is OK.

We saw the same kid in Minnesota in the playoffs and Jones did things in that game that no QB ever has.https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/16/new-york-giants-daniel-jones-made-nfl-history-playoff-upset-minnesota-vikings/ He just did again.  Ascending player, be careful with absolute criticisms, Jones is about to take flight.

I hope you're right  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE