News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The NYG Stats that will result in a bad season.

Started by bamagiantfan, September 18, 2023, 07:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: kingm56 on September 19, 2023, 12:55:46 PMI'll extend that to the last 16 games; he's only generated 2.5 sacks and anchors a dline that's abysmal against the run. That trade and subsequent signing have become indefensible...

If I am not mistaken the Giants did not restructure his deal again meaning they can be done with him with no cap hit after this season.  Thank goodness if that's still the case.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 19, 2023, 12:56:53 PMIf I am not mistaken the Giants did not restructure his deal again meaning they can be done with him with no cap hit after this season.  Thank goodness if that's still the case.

According to OTC 2024 is a void year and will carry $6M in dead money.  Which is still a helluva lot better than this year's $32M+
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 19, 2023, 12:56:53 PMIf I am not mistaken the Giants did not restructure his deal again meaning they can be done with him with no cap hit after this season.  Thank goodness if that's still the case.
We will be done with this DG blunder next season.

Dgoodmantrublu

They don't want him split to the inside for the most part in this scheme. They want him to occupy the blockers to free up the blitzer.

Quote from: kingm56 on September 19, 2023, 12:37:56 PMThe problem, as I see it, the Giants are not winning their one-on-one matchup. Last week, Thibs was doubled, a lot, which should present opportunities for the high-priced DTs  to push the pocket.  Dex started doing so in the 4th QTR, but LW was a complete non-factor. Thibs also needs to learn how to split double teams and/or inside pass move.  He's fast, but incredibly predicable in pass-rush situations. He is better at run def than he gets credit for. 

kingm56

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 19, 2023, 01:10:23 PMThey don't want him split to the inside for the most part in this scheme. They want him to occupy the blockers to free up the blitzer.

Splitting double teams does not free the blockers from their responsibilities.  He is still occupying them. 

Dgoodmantrublu

It opens up a gap that has to be filled from someone else. Wink is trying to create free rushers by occupying these gaps.

Quote from: kingm56 on September 19, 2023, 01:17:45 PMSplitting double teams does not free the blockers from their responsibilities.  He is still occupying them. 

LennG

Here's a stat that means big trouble, especially going into SF

Big Blue has surrendered a staggering 136.5 rushing yards per game and five total rushing touchdowns through the first two weeks of the season.

We were terrible last year and now seems, even worse.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kingm56

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 19, 2023, 01:19:17 PMIt opens up a gap that has to be filled from someone else. Wink is trying to create free rushers by occupying these gaps.

??  Again, the gap is still there as the blockers still have their responsibilities. Moreover, what DC tells their premiere pass-rusher to avoid rushing the QB?  Playing in the exact same 3-4 position, Lt routinely faced double-teams and beat them, which did not prevent L Marshal from achieving 75 sacks.   If Thibs wants to mature his brand, he'll need to learn to beat double-teams, just like every other premier edge rusher.

Dgoodmantrublu

Not every 3-4 scheme is the same. Wink has never had an edge with double digit sacks. Judon had 9. The next year in New England, he had 15 I think. This is a very different scheme than what BB ran then and now.

Quote from: kingm56 on September 19, 2023, 01:43:33 PM??  Again, the gap is still there as the blockers still have their responsibilities. Moreover, what DC tells their premiere pass-rusher to avoid rushing the QB?  Playing in the exact same 3-4 position, Lt routinely faced double-teams and beat them, which did not prevent L Marshal from achieving 75 sacks.   If Thibs wants to mature his brand, he'll need to learn to beat double-teams, just like every other premier edge rusher.

kingm56

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 19, 2023, 01:55:35 PMNot every 3-4 scheme is the same. Wink has never had an edge with double digit sacks. Judon had 9. The next year in New England, he had 15 I think. This is a very different scheme than what BB ran then and now.

Do you honestly believe Wink is telling Thibs to avoid beating double-teams?  That's effectively what you're discussing here. 

Dgoodmantrublu

He's telling him to occupy blockers in many instances for the blitz to get through. The play to kill Thibs on is when Simmons did this for him on the blitz and Thibs was too slow taking advantage on his stunt.

kingm56

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 19, 2023, 02:11:35 PMHe's telling him to occupy blockers in many instances for the blitz to get through. The play to kill Thibs on is when Simmons did this for him on the blitz and Thibs was too slow taking advantage on his stunt.

I'm not killing Thibs; I'm one of his biggest supporters. I fundamentally disagree with your notion that our DC only expects our #5 overall pick, who was selected based on his pass-rushing aptitude, to simply eat up blocks on the majority of known passing situations. Logically, that doesn't hold water with me.  As a Thibs supporter, it would be intellectually dishonest of me to fail to acknowledge he's off to a slow start.  He needs to beat double-teams and win his one-on-one matchups. I do give him credit in the run game; he's done a phenomenal job setting the edge and/or holding the PoA.  However, he was selected to rush the passer.  He needs to start improving in that area.  It really is that simple.