News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Its always fun to go to the next opponents message board

Started by BluesCruz, September 18, 2023, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

I read every post and they do not seem too confident

are pegging their hopes on Barkley being out (I guess they dont realize we are pretty loaded at RB)

in essence they see this as a trap game
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

The Giants are done without Saquon Barkley
Overreaction or reality: Reality

Barkley is the cog in the offense that makes the Giants go, specifically Daniel Jones. With Barkley on the field in the second-half comeback, Jones completed 17 of 21 passes for 259 yards with two pass touchdowns while rushing for 58 yards and a touchdown. Jones became just the second player in NFL history with 250 passing yards, 50 rushing yards, two passing touchdowns, and a rushing touchdown in a half.

Barkley's injury is severe enough he won't discuss it, even though one report says it's a sprained ankle. We'll see how long Barkley is out, but the Giants need him if they want to go to the playoffs. Jones can't be the quarterback the Giants want him to be without Barkley on the field.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-2-overreactions-reality-checks-jets-moving-on-from-zach-wilson-how-hot-is-brandon-staley-seat/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

I don't think the Giants are done if Barkley's out but it will be a significant blow to the offense.  We all saw a decline in the offense's performance a year ago when he was out and limited.  Maybe the drop off won't be as significant with improved weapons in the passing game but not sure how anyone argues there won't be some type of drop off.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Trench

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 18, 2023, 10:56:35 AMI don't think the Giants are done if Barkley's out but it will be a significant blow to the offense.  We all saw a decline in the offense's performance a year ago when he was out and limited.  Maybe the drop off won't be as significant with improved weapons in the passing game but not sure how anyone argues there won't be some type of drop off.

It will be interesting to see. I remember years ago an unknown named Bradshaw took advantage of his opportunity and the rest is history.

* I hope Barkley plays ASAP

Ed Vette

What's missing for sure is the threat of Barkley. That's good and bad. It's bad because play action won't be nearly as effective unless they are effective gaining yards on the ground, so they have to earn it. It's good because they won't load the box unless the run game is effective.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

President Rick

I love SB, but was the run game really that good yesterday?  And didn't SB have ooopsie-daisy 2.0 causing another "interception?"  He's great but not perfect.  Some other fresh legs can make up at least sdome of the difference. Anyway it looks like we have no choice but to say 'next man up.'

also gotta wonder if they stay with the second half OL v.s. the niners, with Glow at LG [altho I assume when ready, Thomas will return at OLT.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 18, 2023, 10:53:51 AMThe Giants are done without Saquon Barkley
Overreaction or reality: Reality

Barkley is the cog in the offense that makes the Giants go, specifically Daniel Jones. With Barkley on the field in the second-half comeback, Jones completed 17 of 21 passes for 259 yards with two pass touchdowns while rushing for 58 yards and a touchdown. Jones became just the second player in NFL history with 250 passing yards, 50 rushing yards, two passing touchdowns, and a rushing touchdown in a half.

Barkley's injury is severe enough he won't discuss it, even though one report says it's a sprained ankle. We'll see how long Barkley is out, but the Giants need him if they want to go to the playoffs. Jones can't be the quarterback the Giants want him to be without Barkley on the field.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-2-overreactions-reality-checks-jets-moving-on-from-zach-wilson-how-hot-is-brandon-staley-seat/

Not sure this is the case.

Against AZ Barkley had-  17 carries 63 yards 3.7 yds/cary 16 yards long    1 TD and caused one INT
receiving in that same game-  6 rec 7 targets 29 yards    4.8 yds/rec 10 yards long 1 TD

Barkley had similar numbers in the Dallas games (some areas a little better some a little worse).

I don't think those numbers indicate crucial contributions that can't be duplicated by others.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 18, 2023, 11:07:52 AMNot sure this is the case.

Against AZ Barkley had-  17 carries 63 yards 3.7 yds/cary 16 yards long    1 TD and caused one INT
receiving in that same game-  6 rec 7 targets 29 yards    4.8 yds/rec 10 yards long 1 TD

Barkley had similar numbers in the Dallas games (some areas a little better some a little worse).

I don't think those numbers indicate crucial contributions that can't be duplicated by others.

"What's missing for sure is the threat of Barkley. That's good and bad. It's bad because play action won't be nearly as effective unless they are effective gaining yards on the ground, so they have to earn it. It's good because they won't load the box unless the run game is effective."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 18, 2023, 11:07:52 AMNot sure this is the case.

agreed.  I think our bench RBs are strong and the 2 ints he caused were horrific

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 11:18:27 AMagreed.  I think our bench RBs are strong and the 2 ints he caused were horrific

First one against Dallas wasn't completely on him.  One yesterday was.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 18, 2023, 11:13:27 AM"What's missing for sure is the threat of Barkley. That's good and bad. It's bad because play action won't be nearly as effective unless they are effective gaining yards on the ground, so they have to earn it. It's good because they won't load the box unless the run game is effective."

Ed,

At this point, if you were a DC, would you focus on stopping Barkley (assuming good health)?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 18, 2023, 11:22:24 AMEd,

At this point, if you were a DC, would you focus on stopping Barkley (assuming good health)?
Film shows they bite on play action. But no, only in certain situations because he is in motion often or stays in to block. 17 attempts and take away his long and its 47 yards.

Out of 66 snaps.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 18, 2023, 11:37:59 AMFilm shows they bite on play action. But no, only in certain situations because he is in motion often or stays in to block. 17 attempts and take away his long and its 47 yards.

Out of 66 snaps.

Ed would you say Barkley has good hands for a RB?
He seems to get in trouble thinking about his next move or where the opponent is rather than just securing the football 1st and foremost.  In his defense, Jones often throws him the ball in traffic....thats on Jones

Other RBs like say Brightwell will work in more open space as opponents assign shadows to Barkley

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 18, 2023, 11:37:59 AMFilm shows they bite on play action. But no, only in certain situations because he is in motion often or stays in to block. 17 attempts and take away his long and its 47 yards.

Out of 66 snaps.

For what it's worth, analytics people who have studied this, have found the effectiveness of the running game has little impact on the effectiveness of the use of play action.  While I have heard that more than a few times, I will admit instinctively, I have trouble accepting it completely.  Although I could see how well the QB and RB "sell" the play action might also play a big role in how well it will work.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 11:43:37 AMEd would you say Barkley has good hands for a RB?
He seems to get in trouble thinking about his next move or where the opponent is rather than just securing the football 1st and foremost.  In his defense, Jones often throws him the ball in traffic....thats on Jones

Other RBs like say Brightwell will work in more open space as opponents assign shadows to Barkley
I think Breda and Grey will be better Receivers.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin