News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Its always fun to go to the next opponents message board

Started by BluesCruz, September 18, 2023, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 18, 2023, 11:44:02 AMFor what it's worth, analytics people who have studied this, have found the effectiveness of the running game has little impact on the effectiveness of the use of play action.  While I have heard that more than a few times, I will admit instinctively, I have trouble accepting it completely.  Although I could see how well the QB and RB "sell" the play action might also play a big role in how well it will work.
They do sell it well.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 18, 2023, 11:05:30 AMWhat's missing for sure is the threat of Barkley. That's good and bad. It's bad because play action won't be nearly as effective unless they are effective gaining yards on the ground, so they have to earn it. It's good because they won't load the box unless the run game is effective.

My thoughts exactly. The 49'rs will completely change their defensive strategy with Saquon out. They'll be covering the "6 yd dunk and catch", as well as the vertical side of the field due to Hyatt's breakout yesterday. Breida and Gray could have a field day because Sna Francisco is not going to adjust their defense for those two RBs. It wouldn't surprise me if we go heavy in the run game until the defense starts to counteract in order to stop it. Then the real game begins, and the coaches will have a chess game on their hands
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Leek21

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 10:43:29 AMI read every post and they do not seem too confident

are pegging their hopes on Barkley being out (I guess they dont realize we are pretty loaded at RB)

in essence they see this as a trap game

The drop off from Barkley is huge.
Don't understand why Giants fans can't see that but it should be obvious he's the best player on the team.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 18, 2023, 11:05:30 AMWhat's missing for sure is the threat of Barkley. That's good and bad. It's bad because play action won't be nearly as effective unless they are effective gaining yards on the ground, so they have to earn it. It's good because they won't load the box unless the run game is effective.

we KILLED them on play action in the second half. which is kinda crazy considering the run game wasnt doing much and we kept going back to the PA. bad coaching/play on arizona for that.

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 11:18:27 AMagreed.  I think our bench RBs are strong and the 2 ints he caused were horrific
No they aren't. I know you keep pushing this narrative but a vet min RB, a special teams contributor, and a rookie is not good. Without Barkley we have a bottom 3 RB room that's how bad it is. Breida was a free agent and didn't get a single other offer, and Brightwell barely made the team. There's no wonder kid in that room right now and that's just being honest.

DaveBrown74

Ever since Barkley joined the team, we have been very weak at the RB position outside of him. It's just a fact. Most teams have much better depth at the position than we do.

PSUBeirut

The problem comes when there are certain plays that only SB on the roster makes.  2 good, game-changing play examples from yesterday:  1)  His TD catch and 2) On the final drive, his huge run on 1st down to get them into solid FG range while simultaneously gaining a 1st down, allowing us to run the clock all the way down.  Hugely doubtful that either Gray or Breida would make those 2 plays.  Could we have still made different plays to overcome the loss of those 2?  Maybe, maybe not. 

Liking him or not doesn't matter (or where he was drafted...or think he dances too much...etc., etc.)- but if you don't think the opposing defensive gameplan changes (to their benefit) with Saquon out of the game, you're fooling yourself.

Rambo89

Quote from: PSUBeirut on September 18, 2023, 12:13:30 PMThe problem comes when there are certain plays that only SB on the roster makes.  2 good, game-changing play examples from yesterday:  1)  His TD catch and 2) On the final drive, his huge run on 1st down to get them into solid FG range while simultaneously gaining a 1st down, allowing us to run the clock all the way down.  Hugely doubtful that either Gray or Breida would make those 2 plays.  Could we have still made different plays to overcome the loss of those 2?  Maybe, maybe not. 

Liking him or not doesn't matter (or where he was drafted...or think he dances too much...etc., etc.)- but if you don't think the opposing defensive gameplan changes (to their benefit) with Saquon out of the game, you're fooling yourself.

None of the other RB's on the roster make the play he did on that TD catch.  At best they get that down to the 2nd-3rd yard line and you have a 4th down to score.  It was a huge play in the game.

Without that play the Giants maybe don't get to that last drive for him to make that big run.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 18, 2023, 12:01:06 PMwe KILLED them on play action in the second half. which is kinda crazy considering the run game wasnt doing much and we kept going back to the PA. bad coaching/play on arizona for that.
Exactly.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Hey Ed
Thursday night will be interesting

honestly i had written off the season after the utter embarrassment of the Dallas game

Now I'm very interested in a possible victory against a ranked opponent

How quickly the worm can turn on the every given Sunday NFL
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 12:48:54 PMHey Ed
Thursday night will be interesting

honestly i had written off the season after the utter embarrassment of the Dallas game

Now I'm very interested in a possible victory against a ranked opponent

How quickly the worm can turn on the every given Sunday NFL

The Niners may be the best team in Football right now with Dallas. They may have the better QB over Dallas. I would manage my expectations accordingly.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 18, 2023, 12:09:54 PMEver since Barkley joined the team, we have been very weak at the RB position outside of him. It's just a fact. Most teams have much better depth at the position than we do.
this is the kind of narrative that irks me

if Barkley is in on 97% of the snaps ......how in the world do you know what Brieda, Grey and Brightwell can do

are they sending psychic info from the bench?

Every one of those guys has equaled or passed The holy RB in YPC when they have had their few carries
as pass catchers they are all better in my opinion    again from limited action

Grey was an outstanding back in the highest levels of college play....an ankle breaker

Brieda was the feature back at least one season in SFO

Brightwell has looked very big, fast and smooth in his limited action

if the Giants rotated backs like other teams the "Holy RB" would not get seriously injured every season

its Mara demanding his pound of flesh from the #1 pick I believe drives this madness....I'm sure one of the qualifying questions for the interview proccess was "Well.....how would you take advantage of Barkley?"

The winner undoubtedly promised to use him til he dropped
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 03:32:01 PMthis is the kind of narrative that irks me

if Barkley is in on 97% of the snaps ......how in the world do you know what Brieda, Grey and Brightwell can do

Every one of those guys has equaled or passed The holy RB in YPC when they have had their few carries

Grey was an outstanding back in the highest levels of college play....an ankle breaker

if the Giants rotated backs like other teams the "Holy RB" would not get seriously injured every season

its Mara demanding his pound of flesh from the #1 pick I believe drives this madness....I'm sure one of the qualifying questions for the interview proccess was "Well.....how would you take advantage of Barkley?"

How many NFL teams besides us do you think would consider Breida their number two RB?

How many NFL teams do you think would carry Brightwell on their active roster?

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 18, 2023, 03:32:01 PMthis is the kind of narrative that irks me

All you have to do is look at the Giants offensive production when Barkley's been limited or out.  None of those guys have done anything of significance during that time especially last season.  Think you have your answer as to why there isn't more of a rotation. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18