News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Barkley out 3 weeks

Started by Rambo89, September 18, 2023, 04:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Rambo89

They weren't beating the 49'ers even with him but the Seattle game and Dolphins game just became that more difficult.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 18, 2023, 04:42:31 PMhttps://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1703871231403921708?s=61

I think we are about to get a preview of what RB by committee might look like next year.  And this probably blows the incentives, that were added to his tag to get him to report to camp, out of the water.  While vindicating the decision not to go multi-year large on his contract.

If they are going to give Gray a bigger role in the offense will they have someone else returning kicks and punts?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Giant Obsession

Given that i.m.o. almost all teams underreport the seriousness of injuries I think you can double his time off and that it is not an "ordinary" ankle sprain, more like stretched ligaments to go along with that "ordinary" report. 

Think November for his return.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

B1GBLUE

do you bring in a guy like kareen hunt or leonard fournette? or roll with the guys we have? i dont think breida is terrible, although unremarkable. we havent seen anything from grey yet but i have a good feeling about him. brightwell looks limited but could help.

go back to james robinson?

tough call. we have depth, not sure its quality depth, but we have bodies.

Rambo89

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 18, 2023, 04:48:49 PMI think we are about to get a preview of what RB by committee might look like next year.  And this probably blows the incentives, that were added to his tag to get him to report to camp, out of the water.  While vindicating the decision not to go multi-year large on his contract.

If they are going to give Gray a bigger role in the offense will they have someone else returning kicks and punts?

They could have Gray still return kicks and punts but just not give him a full RB workload like they did with Tiki Barber early in his career.

Trench

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 18, 2023, 04:53:43 PMThey could have Gray still return kicks and punts but just not give him a full RB workload like they did with Tiki Barber early in his career.

Guarantee if he gets a shot Gray will surprise us

Ed Vette

They should sign James Robinson to the Practice Squad and elevate him game day.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

This could have ramifications for future contract negotiations.  The question is which way.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Given how Barkley was pounding his fists into the turf after the injury, given the way he couldn't even limp off the field on his own, and given the look of utter dejection he had on the sideline, if this is truly a three week thing and is definitely not a high ankle, then I would call this a very good result relative to my fears at the time.

Jaime

I mentioned this on another Thread. This is at least a three week injury. A sprained ankle for a RB can easily linger for the remainder of the season. I was hoping Barkley would make it to mid-season before being injured, no luck there. Remember, we won a Lombardi Trophy with a Rookie 7th Rd. Pick Ahmad Bradshaw. The learning curve for an NFL RB is probably the smallest of any position.  That's why we see so many 1st & 2nd year RB's excelling around the League.
Thinking Barkley is no longer a Giants player after this season. I suspect Gray & Brieda will fill in nicely in Barkley's absence. We probably have have someone on the PS that can fill in as well.

Barkley is a very popular guy, but he can't stay on the field. He  is way injury prone.  Basically, he's a a poorly spent 10 Mill this season. Doubt very much anyone will pony up 10 Mill for his services for the 2024 Season. I saw this coming, as I think others here have as well. We can replace him next season with a mid Rd. Pick or a medium priced FA. The RB position has been down-graded throughout the NFL.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jaime on September 18, 2023, 05:44:05 PMI mentioned this on another Thread. Thinking Barkley is no longer a Giants player after this season.
He's a very popular guy, but he can't stay on the field. Barkley is way injury prone. We can replace him next season with a mid Rd. Pick or a medium priced FA. The RB position has been down-graded throughout the NFL.

They already have a middle round pick on the roster in Grey.  They should see what they have in him.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

zephirus

Curious to see how the distribution of carries goes. I would own on Gray more than Breida, at least on 1st/2nd down. Not sure Gray is ready for primetime in pass pro, most rookies struggle mightily there.

Rambo89

Quote from: zephirus on September 18, 2023, 05:58:36 PMCurious to see how the distribution of carries goes. I would own on Gray more than Breida, at least on 1st/2nd down. Not sure Gray is ready for primetime in pass pro, most rookies struggle mightily there.

Especially on a short week.  He might get a few carries but maybe won't get more until the Seattle game with more practice and preparation under his belt.

files58

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 18, 2023, 04:52:40 PMdo you bring in a guy like kareen hunt or leonard fournette? or roll with the guys we have? i dont think breida is terrible, although unremarkable. we havent seen anything from grey yet but i have a good feeling about him. brightwell looks limited but could help.

go back to james robinson?

tough call. we have depth, not sure its quality depth, but we have bodies.

Would love to have a Fournette type. He'd be like OJ Anderson, and LaGarette Blount. A November/December big body punisher that gets tough yards.