News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Imagine This

Started by Philosophers, September 18, 2023, 10:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Marcus McKethan continues to start at RG and becomes above average while helping Neal continue to get better so he is above average as well.  JMS becomes a steady center with Eze at LG and Thomas back.  OL is stronger and can hold off opposing lines.

What happens?

1) running game may be ok but not great if Saquon injuries become ongoing.

2) passing attack improves substantially especially downfield as Hyatt works into a greater role in the WR rotation and Waller stays healthy and owns the middle of the field.

Defense

1) makes marginal improvement in pressure but simply remains mired in bottom half of rankings in pressure.

2) Banks and Hawkins get better and better and become undoubtedly the outside CBs for future.

3) McKinney improves play but Pinnock makes bigger improvement.

4) Simmons becomes the ILB fixture opposite Okereke and plays well. 

Giants finish 8-9 with much improved passing game, an older and more injured Saquon and a middling D that is only middling because it can't generate enough pressure.

What would you do?

If you think it's too early to speculate then simply dont respond.  But if you don't......

Dgoodmantrublu

You offer Simmons a reasonable deal, but not a large one. Let Barkley walk. Sign a slot corner, let Adoree walk. Add a difference making edge if possible. Still look for a dominant WR to pair with Hyatt going forward. Add a good back in the draft. Tag McKinney for one season.

DaveBrown74

I don't want to ignite a big Barkley debate with his big defenders on the board (we did enough of that back in June/July), but at a bare minimum I think it's pretty clear that you don't sign him or even tag him if he spends much of this year banged up. Move on, draft a young back on day two and possibly another back on day three depending on how things go with Gray.

I would let Adoree walk as well, given the price tag, the fact that he's starting to get a bit older, and the fact that he has generally been injury prone. I would likely draft another corner in the mid-rounds to play/compete in the slot.

I would not keep Leo unless he really steps his game up, and even then it would be at a dramatically reduced price from what he has been getting. He is the most overpaid player on the team right now. Assuming he was not coming back, D tackle would be a high priority in the draft.

I would re-sign Simmons for whatever the fair pricepoint is. Given we are already spending $10mm/yr on one ILB (not a premium position), I would not be open to paying significant money for Simmons. I'm not comfortable allocating too much to this position as it is not difficult to replace (despite us being terrible at that in the last 5-plus years).

Since it is stated that the passing attack improves substantially, I take that to mean Jones plays much better this year than anything we have seen to him to this point. Ie, clearly a top 10 starter in the league, no questions asked. IF that is the case, then I would significantly restructure his contract to spread that gargantuan 2024 hit out to future years (ie remove the post 2024 trap door option).

I guess my only question is, how does a team that accomplishes everything mentioned in the OP manage to only finish 7-8 from here?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on September 18, 2023, 10:30:03 PMMarcus McKethan continues to start at RG and becomes above average while helping Neal continue to get better so he is above average as well.  JMS becomes a steady center with Eze at LG and Thomas back.  OL is stronger and can hold off opposing lines.

What happens?

1) running game may be ok but not great if Saquon injuries become ongoing.

2) passing attack improves substantially especially downfield as Hyatt works into a greater role in the WR rotation and Waller stays healthy and owns the middle of the field.

Defense

1) makes marginal improvement in pressure but simply remains mired in bottom half of rankings in pressure.

2) Banks and Hawkins get better and better and become undoubtedly the outside CBs for future.

3) McKinney improves play but Pinnock makes bigger improvement.

4) Simmons becomes the ILB fixture opposite Okereke and plays well. 

Giants finish 8-9 with much improved passing game, an older and more injured Saquon and a middling D that is only middling because it can't generate enough pressure.

What would you do?

If you think it's too early to speculate then simply dont respond.  But if you don't......

Probably the most logical, reasonable post regarding how this season shakes out. we are not contenders yet. anything thinking otherwise is crazy. but it set us up nicely. we COULD have a real oline for the first time in a long time. if we got 2 starting outside cb's in the same draft, that is vital. pinnock is looking like a pro bowler.

so i'd be happy we werent a door mat this year, and showed signs of hope for strong near future. this team is young and has the makings of a solid team for the next 5 years. we got some of our stars locked down. we have some good young talent. 8-9 is slightly disappointing but again, reasonable. until we catch up to the boys and eagles in terms of play and talent, it will be real hard to get past .500

Stringer Bell

I was just really surprised with how fluid and athletic Ez looked at tackle. When I watch him and Neal, I see 2 completely different players.

Not to say that Neal can't eventually figure it out, but at this point I'd want to know if Ez can perform solidly at RT.

Yes, it would stink to move such a high pick to guard, but I imagine a line of Thomas-Neal-JMS-MM-Ez. Ages 24-22-24-24-24. Imagine not having to invest any more resources in OL?

That would allow high picks at edge, DL, WR / RB.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on September 18, 2023, 10:33:14 PMYou offer Simmons a reasonable deal, but not a large one. Let Barkley walk. Sign a slot corner, let Adoree walk. Add a difference making edge if possible. Still look for a dominant WR to pair with Hyatt going forward. Add a good back in the draft. Tag McKinney for one season.

i dont think mckinney has earned the tag. he looks... not great this year. if he turns that play around and becomes mckinney of a couple years ago, sure. but he does not look like a 10m plus safety right now.

i'd like to see them unleash simmons. i feel like he can truly offer a lot.

barkley can go. i love him, but his (unlucky) injuries are going to catch up to him. hes never going to get that big pay day (luckily hes still made close to 50m in his time in the league). if he wants to be a team guy and take a modest 5-6m a year deal while still being a part of this team, while starting to make way for other guys (we havent had a true backup basically since he came here), let him stay. but if wants to pout over being a 7th year oft injured running back, see ya later.

right now more than anything (and ive been saying this for well over a year), we need pass rushers. we are ABYSMAL. only team in the league without a sack. that CANNOT continue. its almost hard to believe.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 19, 2023, 07:41:08 AMI was just really surprised with how fluid and athletic Ez looked at tackle. When I watch him and Neal, I see 2 completely different players.

Not to say that Neal can't eventually figure it out, but at this point I'd want to know if Ez can perform solidly at RT.

Yes, it would stink to move such a high pick to guard, but I imagine a line of Thomas-Neal-JMS-MM-Ez. Ages 24-22-24-24-24. Imagine not having to invest any more resources in OL?

That would allow high picks at edge, DL, WR / RB.

EZ looks (i hesitate to use these words, but) REALLY good at LT. just absolutely natural for him. he needs to strengthen up a bit, but thats not hard for these guys. natural fluid movement you just cant teach. is it crazy to try him at RT..and if he struggles there... move him back to left and put AT at RT? i know we just spent a crazy amount of money on him, but i feel like you need to play your best hand, regardless of draft position or salary.

and agreed, we do not need to spend any premium picks at OL. we have our LT. we might have a RT. we have our C. guards are easy enough to find in later rounds.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 19, 2023, 07:05:02 AMI don't want to ignite a big Barkley debate with his big defenders on the board (we did enough of that back in June/July), but at a bare minimum I think it's pretty clear that you don't sign him or even tag him if he spends much of this year banged up. Move on, draft a young back on day two and possibly another back on day three depending on how things go with Gray.

I would let Adoree walk as well, given the price tag, the fact that he's starting to get a bit older, and the fact that he has generally been injury prone. I would likely draft another corner in the mid-rounds to play/compete in the slot.

I would not keep Leo unless he really steps his game up, and even then it would be at a dramatically reduced price from what he has been getting. He is the most overpaid player on the team right now. Assuming he was not coming back, D tackle would be a high priority in the draft.

I would re-sign Simmons for whatever the fair pricepoint is. Given we are already spending $10mm/yr on one ILB (not a premium position), I would not be open to paying significant money for Simmons. I'm not comfortable allocating too much to this position as it is not difficult to replace (despite us being terrible at that in the last 5-plus years).

Since it is stated that the passing attack improves substantially, I take that to mean Jones plays much better this year than anything we have seen to him to this point. Ie, clearly a top 10 starter in the league, no questions asked. IF that is the case, then I would significantly restructure his contract to spread that gargantuan 2024 hit out to future years (ie remove the post 2024 trap door option).

I guess my only question is, how does a team that accomplishes everything mentioned in the OP manage to only finish 7-8 from here?

Dave - my answer to your question at the end is that the tougher schedule and failing defense causes more losses than wins in the remaining games.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on September 19, 2023, 11:52:32 AMDave - my answer to your question at the end is that the tougher schedule and failing defense causes more losses than wins in the remaining games.

Understood. No doubt the schedule is tougher.

ralphpal1

I would always draft line in the first or second round
Until we can block
Dallas
Eagles
49ers
And others
The saints defs looks good
We will go no where
One person gets hurt
We are back where we were
We can win with this offense if we give jones time