News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Chubb's injury...

Started by GordonGekko80, September 19, 2023, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGekko80

I just re-watched the replay of Nick Chubb's injury last night.

How in the world is a defender allowed to throw his body below the knee in such a fashion?

https://x.com/ced2k23/status/1704095918797005261?s=20

https://x.com/Soulanaut55/status/1704056281777209478?s=20

MightyGiants

I added a slow-motion video of the actual injury and another of the overall play

In the isolated video, I could see how it might be considered dirty

The bigger picture looks less sinister

I didn't see any rule broken

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uni

It reminded me of the time Ken Norton Jr rolled into Napoleon McCallum's knee on MNF and ended his career in 1994. That also looked dirty as hell. Norton kept doing his Blanka impersonation, severly injuring three other players in the course of his career including two of his teammates.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

I haven't watched the injury itself and I don't intend to. I have seen more than my fair share of horrible looking injuries. Chubb is one of my favorite players in the league, as to me he embodies everything you could possibly want from a football player, so while I hate seeing any serious injury, I am particularly disheartened by this incident.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 19, 2023, 08:48:40 AMI added a slow-motion video of the actual injury and another of the overall play

Thanks Rich.

I think the bold part is the issue. Do we need a rule where a body being thrown at other players knees is forbidden, mainly to protect the players? I think when you throw your body in that way it's clear that you are taking the risk of injuring another player. There is no way Chubb could've withstood this weight with his legs, not to mention the impact on top of it.

I mean, we have ridiculous calls for Roughing the Passer (see Dex vs MIN last season in the playoffs) and this is ok?

LennG

If I want gruesome stuff, I can go to many other channels. I applaud the TV crew for not showing it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Uni

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 19, 2023, 08:48:40 AMI added a slow-motion video of the actual injury and another of the overall play

To me, this is like the hip drop tackle. It's just a matter of geometry -- if you dive at the knees like that, you are very likely to cause an injury. If you grab the runner at the waist and twist your legs forward, you will land on the back of the runner's legs and cause an injury. Am I saying these players are trying to hurt the other players? I don't know that. But when you tackle a runner in a certain fashion and the outcome will likely be an injury, not trying to avoid that kind of tackle feels... purposeful.

They took out the horse collar tackle, they should take out the diving blindly at the knees and the hip drop tackle. Make it an unnecessary roughness and fine the players and it will cut down on those injuries.

MightyGiants

@Uni and @GordonGekko80

I agree there should be rules to try and prevent such injuries.  Although, when I see how frustrating the rule about hitting the QB's helmet and some of the tackles on receivers are, I wonder if a rule could be crafted that would discourage the practice without adversely impacting the game.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

It looked to me like the factor that made this so bad is that he was engaged with another would-be tackler up high, essentially leaving his legs vulnerable and defenseless.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

zephirus

I've seen the reverse angle video and it's as bad as you would expect.  Very reminiscent of the Willis McGahee injury he sustained while at the University of Miami where the knee bends completely backwards. 

They mentioned on the telecast that he'd already injured/torn up that knee previously.  I'm not a doctor but you gotta wonder if that's career-ending to blow out the same knee again.

ralphpal1

Quote from: Uni on September 19, 2023, 08:52:03 AMIt reminded me of the time Ken Norton Jr rolled into Napoleon McCallum's knee on MNF and ended his career in 1994. That also looked dirty as hell. Norton kept doing his Blanka impersonation, severly injuring three other players in the course of his career including two of his teammates.

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 19, 2023, 01:29:57 PMIt looked to me like the factor that made this so bad is that he was engaged with another would-be tackler up high, essentially leaving his legs vulnerable and defenseless.
This situation is where a rule should come into place.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

I rewatched the video when the ESPN crew wouldn't show it and don't understand the fuss. I guess after 40+ years of watching horrible injuries nothing shocks me anymore. It looks like a twisted knee but it wasn't Theismann or Alex Smith.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TDToomer on September 19, 2023, 09:50:57 PMI rewatched the video when the ESPN crew wouldn't show it and don't understand the fuss. I guess after 40+ years of watching horrible injuries nothing shocks me anymore. It looks like a twisted knee but it wasn't Theismann or Alex Smith.

I hate when any media withholds showing something to 'protect' me.  They aren't Col. Jessup and I CAN handle the truth.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll