News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Franchise QBs on their second team

Started by zephirus, September 19, 2023, 11:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zephirus

Maybe it's simply my disdain for these 3 quarterbacks who suffer from hubris, but there's mounting evidence that quarterbacks who want to play coach/GM in addition to playing quarterback don't work out all that well, except for Tom Brady.  Let's also not forget that Tom Brady (and Peyton Manning back in the day) were both free agents when they signed with their second team, and did not cost draft capital to acquire.

Aaron Rodgers season lasted all of 4 snaps before his body gave out on him.  The Jets now stare down the prospect of an offseason where their 40 year old quarterback might mull over simply retiring.  Let us not forget they also grabbed the free agents Rodgers wanted like the over-the-hill Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard and Dalvin Cook.  They gave up 2 2nd round picks for that and are on the hook for 50-70 million in dead money depending upon when his career ends.

Russell Wilson worked his way out of Seattle after (allegedly) demanding input on personnel and asking for Pete Carroll and John Schneider to be fired.  He has now started 17 games for the Broncos and the team record in those contests is 4-13, with Wilson having a 21/12 TD/INT ratio.  He's also taken 63 sacks over those 17 games, the most in the league.  Realistically the Broncos need to keep him for at least 3 more years as his current contract doesn't have a palatable "out" until the conclusion of the 2025 season at which point they will have "only" 31 million in dead money.  They traded two 1st round picks, 2nd round picks and a 5th round pick for this. 

DeShaun Watson completed his suspension time last year and has subsequently started 8 games for the Browns, wherein they are 4-4.  He has a completion % below 60, a TD/INT ratio of 9/7.  Because his contract is fully guaranteed, the Browns have 200 million in monies remaining to be paid, or dead-cap money depending upon if/when he were to be cut.

AZGiantFan

The Jets are simultaneously in CAP hell and QB hell.  It's going to be a few ugly years for the tenants.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 19, 2023, 01:21:14 PMThe Jets are simultaneously in CAP hell and QB hell.  It's going to be a few ugly years for the tenants.

And they're not nearly bad enough to get a top 5 or probably not even top 10 pick.

Dgoodmantrublu

Matt Stafford did great on his 2nd team. So that is one positive example.

Rambo89

Drew Brees is another going from San Diego to New Orleans.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Dgoodmantrublu

Brees hadn't reached franchise QB status though.

zephirus

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 19, 2023, 02:07:46 PMDrew Brees is another going from San Diego to New Orleans.

Drew Brees was a free agent and New Orleans did not have to give up any draft capital to acquire him.  He also wasn't making any demands as to the coaching staff he would work with or demanding the team sign any free agent buddies of his. 

I'll buy Matt Stafford, although again he didn't demand the trade nor ask for personnel/coaches to come with him.

kingm56

Quote from: zephirus on September 19, 2023, 02:33:12 PMDrew Brees was a free agent and New Orleans did not have to give up any draft capital to acquire him.  He also wasn't making any demands as to the coaching staff he would work with or demanding the team sign any free agent buddies of his. 

I'll buy Matt Stafford, although again he didn't demand the trade nor ask for personnel/coaches to come with him.

He also had a significant injury, which SD wasn't convinced he could return from. 

Rambo89

Quote from: zephirus on September 19, 2023, 02:33:12 PMDrew Brees was a free agent and New Orleans did not have to give up any draft capital to acquire him.  He also wasn't making any demands as to the coaching staff he would work with or demanding the team sign any free agent buddies of his. 

Gotcha so this was in reference to traded QB's on their second time not just any.  Yeah from that standpoint you're right not the same situation.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

What about QBs who refused to play for the team that drafted them and demanded a trade?

The two I'm thinking of who did that seemed to work out ok.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 19, 2023, 08:41:27 PMWhat about QBs who refused to play for the team that drafted them and demanded a trade?

The two I'm thinking of who did that seemed to work out ok.

I think that is a completely different and unrelated situation if I'm understanding your point.  I'm assuming you're talking about Eli and maybe Elway?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 19, 2023, 09:05:31 PMI think that is a completely different and unrelated situation if I'm understanding your point.  I'm assuming you're talking about Eli and maybe Elway?

Yes, those were the two.

I agree it's different but in my opinion not totally unrelated, as it can be argued hubris is also in play there. Most players who get drafted don't take the attitude that an NFL franchise is not good enough for them. I love Eli, and as a Giants fan and from a selfish standpoint I'm obviously glad he did that, but it's pretty rare.

I didn't mean to derail the thread though. As you were.

DragonSoul

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 19, 2023, 01:21:14 PMThe Jets are simultaneously in CAP hell and QB hell.  It's going to be a few ugly years for the tenants.
and all that draft capital they gave up.