News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Boosted

Started by LennG, September 21, 2023, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Myself and my wife just got the new Covid booster today. We got the Moderna one as we have had their shots throughout this pandemic.  In the past, we both always felt lousy for a day, myself usually 2 days. As of now, we feel fine.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

FWIW our 16 year old just got over covid. Our whole household got it in spring of 2022, and while our cases were not severe by any means, they were fairly unpleasant. My daughter's recent case was incredibly mild, and, interestingly, neither my wife nor I caught it. She said it was less bad than your average cold this time. Kids at her school have had similar experiences. So, based on our small sample size here, whatever this strain is that is going around (at least in our area) doesn't seem too bad, and I'm not sure if it's as virulent as the last strain given it didn't even spread in our own household. None of us have had any boosters since last year.

Sem

Good job Len.

A dear friend of mine is currently in the hospital with Covid. He just spent close to a week on a ventilator, but was just removed from it a couple days ago. He's still weak but slowly improving. Because he has underlying health issues he and his wife have gotten all their boosters and have been very careful when in public. They always mask and stay away from crowded situations, and up until now had avoided Covid, (his wife is still negative). Covid with all it's various strains does seem to be weakening as more and more of humanity have built up antibodies through contracting the virus, and/or vaccinations, which makes it less dangerous to the general public. However there is still a percentage of the population that if they do catch Covid it can still be very serious, even deadly. We should not forget about them even as it becomes less an issue to the rest of us.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 21, 2023, 07:24:42 PMFWIW our 16 year old just got over covid. Our whole household got it in spring of 2022, and while our cases were not severe by any means, they were fairly unpleasant. My daughter's recent case was incredibly mild, and, interestingly, neither my wife nor I caught it. She said it was less bad than your average cold this time. Kids at her school have had similar experiences. So, based on our small sample size here, whatever this strain is that is going around (at least in our area) doesn't seem too bad, and I'm not sure if it's as virulent as the last strain given it didn't even spread in our own household. None of us have had any boosters since last year.

Dave

Overall, we are both healthy, but I am 77 and my wife is 72, and with all the reports of increasing Covid, especially in the Fall and Winter months, we thought it was a no-brainer to stay on the 'safer' side. I sure do not want to start any sort of controversy about shots, but why not be safer than sorry? We basically all get flu shots,, to try and prevent us from getting the flu and if we do get it, it would be much milder, so why is it so hard for people to get a Covid shot, because a certain section of the population think it is so unnecessary? We do what we feel is right for us, and if they say that this shot will 'hopefully' protect us a bit more, we believe it and take it. We decided to wiat for a couple of weeks to get our flu shot but, that also will be done.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2023, 11:51:37 AMDave

Overall, we are both healthy, but I am 77 and my wife is 72, and with all the reports of increasing Covid, especially in the Fall and Winter months, we thought it was a no-brainer to stay on the 'safer' side. I sure do not want to start any sort of controversy about shots, but why not be safer than sorry? We basically all get flu shots,, to try and prevent us from getting the flu and if we do get it, it would be much milder, so why is it so hard for people to get a Covid shot, because a certain section of the population think it is so unnecessary? We do what we feel is right for us, and if they say that this shot will 'hopefully' protect us a bit more, we believe it and take it. We decided to wiat for a couple of weeks to get our flu shot but, that also will be done.

It's not "hard" for us and we're not taking some stand against boosters. We have gotten two already. Just hadn't gotten around to it yet. We were away on vacation through the week following labor day, and we certainly didn't want to deal with it then, so we are just now getting back into the swing of things these past couple of weeks. We get flu shots every year too.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 22, 2023, 12:11:08 PMIt's not "hard" for us and we're not taking some stand against boosters. We have gotten two already. Just hadn't gotten around to it yet. We were away on vacation through the week following labor day, and we certainly didn't want to deal with it then, so we are just now getting back into the swing of things these past couple of weeks. We get flu shots every year too.

Sorry Dave, I wasn't singling you out, I was just speaking in generalities.

BTW, my wife feels like crap now, but I am feeling a bit achy.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2023, 12:27:54 PMSorry Dave, I wasn't singling you out, I was just speaking in generalities.

BTW, my wife feels like crap now, but I am feeling a bit achy.

No problem Lenn, I didn't really take it that way.  :cheers:

Very sorry to hear you guys aren't feeling well. I hope it passes quickly.

Jolly Blue Giant

I went on Wednesday for my annual regular flu vaccine and also got the new RSV vaccine. I was going to get the next Covid booster shot, but they told me to wait a week or two. To make a long story short, my arm was so sore from the RSV shot that I could barely use my arm until today. Also got a fever, sore joints, and the spot where I got my shot was incredibly sore, but not until a few hours after the shot. I'm glad I went through it, but it's the first time I've really struggled with after effects  :sick:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 22, 2023, 02:17:50 PMI went on Wednesday for my annual regular flu vaccine and also got the new RSV vaccine. I was going to get the next Covid booster shot, but they told me to wait a week or two. To make a long story short, my arm was so sore from the RSV shot that I could barely use my arm until today. Also got a fever, sore joints, and the spot where I got my shot was incredibly sore, but not until a few hours after the shot. I'm glad I went through it, but it's the first time I've really struggled with after effects  :sick:

Those are next on our agenda. My arm is as sore as can be right now. I got the shot in my left arm, as they said to get it in the same arm to help (???). I always sleep on my left side so sleeping last nite was a problem.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

I got the Covid and Flu shot yesterday in different arms. The Covid arm is sore at the injection point and the other isn't. Overall though, feeling a bit achey breaky. I had both before and was fine except for the arm pain.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I got my flu and Covid shots Friday afternoon.   Other than a mildly sore arm (both shots in the same arm) for a couple of days, I had no ill effects.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE