News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Potential Changes I could see being made during the mini-bye

Started by MightyGiants, September 22, 2023, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Thanks to a Thursday night game being mated to a Monday Night game, the Giants have essentially an early mini-bye (the NFL did NYG no favors with this terrible schedule).

Here are some of the changes I could see happening:

1)  The O-line could come out of the bye looking like:

Thomas - Brederson - JMS - Pugh - Neal (outside chance of Ezeudu).  If no Pugh, I am not sure if McKethan or Ezeudu will become the second guard

2) Before the game, I would have thought McFadden would be demoted but no longer)

3) Won'Dale replaces Campbell

4)  Hyatt gets promoted to starter, letting Slayton be a sub

5)  If Barkley isn't back, I think Gray has a role in the running game

What other changes could you see happening?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

I have no interest in Pugh. My first choice would be to try Ez at RT and push Neal to RG. Second choice would be keep Neal at RT and play Ez at RG. But an injured 33 year old is not the answer and not something we should be spending money on.

McFadden had his best game maybe ever, but he still showed on several occasions why he is a limited player. I think putting Micah and Simmons in the right situations will allow both to be at their most successful.

I'm fine with Wan'dale getting Campbell's reps, but if Kafka is the one calling plays, I don't see what Wan'dale is going to do any different. We have to be bottom of the league in YAC.

I don't see Hyatt replacing Slayton. He'll likely start to get more snaps, but he'll still be used situationally.

Other changes I'd like to see are Flott replacing Holmes, Fox replacing Ximines, and Riley in for Davidson.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 22, 2023, 10:23:45 AMI have no interest in Pugh. My first choice would be to try Ez at RT and push Neal to RG. Second choice would be keep Neal at RT and play Ez at RG. But an injured 33 year old is not the answer and not something we should be spending money on.

McFadden had his best game maybe ever, but he still showed on several occasions why he is a limited player. I think putting Micah and Simmons in the right situations will allow both to be at their most successful.

I'm fine with Wan'dale getting Canobell's reps, but if Kafka is the one calling plays, I don't see what Wan'dale is going to do any different. We have to be bottom of the league in YAC.

I don't see Hyatt replacing Slayton. He'll likely start to get more snaps, but he'll still be used situationally.

Other changes I'd like to see are Flott replacing Holmes, Fox replacing Ximines, and Riley in for Davidson.

The book on Won'Dale coming out of college is he could generate a lot of YAC.

Flott is injured and struggled in the slot during camp.

I agree about Riley

I think Fox and Ximmines are a bit of a wash
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

The first item is going to be more a matter of who is likely to be healthy and play against Seattle.  The rest are definitely possible with the amount of time off to plan and practice.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 22, 2023, 10:28:33 AMThe first item is going to be more a matter of who is likely to be healthy and play against Seattle.  The rest are definitely possible with the amount of time off to plan and practice.

With the exception of Barkley (who I think is a bit more iffy), I would expect most of the injured to return Monday Night
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Learning that Pennock has 6 missed tackles, I could see Dane Belton or Bobby McCain starting to get more snaps at safety
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

As well as McFadden did making some plays last night - he did miss 7 tackles and is a liability in coverage.

I remember Tae crowder had a monster game vs the bears last year and a lot of fans said he solidified a spot in the starting spot. He was released later that year.

McFadden earned another start but his seat isn't comfy

MightyGiants

Quote from: JT39 on September 22, 2023, 11:37:06 AMAs well as McFadden did making some plays last night - he did miss 7 tackles and is a liability in coverage.

I remember Tae crowder had a monster game vs the bears last year and a lot of fans said he solidified a spot in the starting spot. He was released later that year.

I am torn on this one.  With the number of tackles McFadden is missing, you might as well put Simmons out there instead.  With Simmons you will at least get more big-time plays to go with the missed tackles
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UncannyGfan

It probably doesn't make sense in their current defense scheme, but I'd like to see Williams at LDE instead of Ward or Ojulari to start some games and certain drives.  I guess Robinson would be the LDT position when Williams lines up outside. 

I think he can still bring pressure and it would materially bring up the average weight of the DL and make opposing offensives shift their open drive scripts.

UncannyGfan

Quote from: JT39 on September 22, 2023, 11:37:06 AMAs well as McFadden did making some plays last night - he did miss 7 tackles and is a liability in coverage.

He did have that touchdown saving pass breakup on McCaffrey.  McFadden showed he has talent, hopefully it develops throughout the season.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 23, 2023, 10:24:04 AMI am torn on this one.  With the number of tackles McFadden is missing, you might as well put Simmons out there instead.  With Simmons you will at least get more big-time plays to go with the missed tackles
I like McFadden's hustle. I'd split time between him and Simmons.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Trench

I was saying this in game thread McFadden looked late and missed tackles. His stats I guess were pretty good. He did make a couple good plays in a row right after I posted about a couple bad ones so I'm at a loss on the guy

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 22, 2023, 10:01:28 AMThanks to a Thursday night game being mated to a Monday Night game, the Giants have essentially an early mini-bye (the NFL did NYG no favors with this terrible schedule).

Here are some of the changes I could see happening:

1)  The O-line could come out of the bye looking like:

Thomas - Brederson - JMS - Pugh - Neal (outside chance of Ezeudu).  If no Pugh, I am not sure if McKethan or Ezeudu will become the second guard

2) Before the game, I would have thought McFadden would be demoted but no longer)

3) Won'Dale replaces Campbell

4)  Hyatt gets promoted to starter, letting Slayton be a sub

5)  If Barkley isn't back, I think Gray has a role in the running game

What other changes could you see happening?

I think they should Dime Hawkins and move Flott back to the Slot and Adoree' to the Corner.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 26, 2023, 11:40:51 AMI think they should Dime Hawkins and move Flott back to the Slot and Adoree' to the Corner.

I agree, Adoree has not done well in the slot, and it would be better to have him back out on the boundary.  Flott, didn't look good in the slot during camp and was pushed outside.  Right now, it appears the only true slot CB is Holmes.  Perhaps Robinson returns from PUP and could be the slot CB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 11:43:45 AMI agree, Adoree has not done well in the slot, and it would be better to have him back out on the boundary.  Flott, didn't look good in the slot during camp and was pushed outside.  Right now, it appears the only true slot CB is Holmes.  Perhaps Robinson returns from PUP and could be the slot CB.
Holmes should be on a couch. I actually think Banks would be the best Slot guy but he's a victim of draft position. The Run Defense would also improve. The man loves to hit.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin