News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Has the league caught up with Winks D.

Started by beaugestus, September 22, 2023, 02:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AYM

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 23, 2023, 12:38:06 PMMy primary concern/worry with Wink is not that the league has figured him out. He's been around for a long time, so people know what his style is. I don't think that's the issue.

The issue is I'm not sure he is adaptable enough. I think he's a terrific coordinator as long as he has the players he needs. That is, two shutdown man corners and at least four or five legitimately good blitzers, if not more. Clearly, the Giants don't have enough of those ingredients right now, and I'm not sure he's capable or willing to sufficiently adapt his approach in a way that best maximizes the talent we do have.

And if that's the case, then we need another defensive coordinator. I'm sure Patrick Graham and James Bettcher would be pretty good if they had 2 shutdown man corners and 4-5 good blitzers.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on September 24, 2023, 05:28:32 PMAnd if that's the case, then we need another defensive coordinator. I'm sure Patrick Graham and James Bettcher would be pretty good if they had 2 shutdown man corners and 4-5 good blitzers.

I don't know. I think it's a little early to hit the panic button on Wink, myself. He's an established very good coordinator.

BluesCruz

He's getting a little long in the tooth...he seemed far more involved and animated when he 1st got here

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 24, 2023, 05:38:05 PMI don't know. I think it's a little early to hit the panic button on Wink, myself. He's an established very good coordinator.

Defense doesn't have enough talent on it to panic about the coordinator yet.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Trench

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 24, 2023, 05:46:17 PMDefense doesn't have enough talent on it to panic about the coordinator yet.

BS Rambo!...there is plenty of talent....(I'm not talking about panicking about Wink here) Last year they did JUST fine!...they got soft and they forgot how to tackle. The media hyped the entire team up. Jones looks lethal, Thibs is in great shape, the kid corners have been shut down...blah blah blah...the beat reporters miscalculated. The loss of Julian Love has hurt immensely. He was a pro. McKinney hasnt stepped up. Nor has Thibs or Oljulari. We also haven't had a few breaks go our way like last year and a few horrible calls by refs. Wink isn't the problem, the players are for the most part the same as last year. But it is apparent looking at replays they are not giving their all in the tackling department.

shadowspinner0

Ravens fans complained about him after his last year with the team. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on September 24, 2023, 06:37:19 PMRavens fans complained about him after his last year with the team. 

They lost both their starting corners that year (both all pro or at least pro bowl guys) and the D struggled. In just about every year he was there they were a top 5 NFL defense.

Rambo89

Quote from: Trench on September 24, 2023, 06:06:18 PMBS Rambo!...there is plenty of talent....(I'm not talking about panicking about Wink here) Last year they did JUST fine!...they got soft and they forgot how to tackle. The media hyped the entire team up. Jones looks lethal, Thibs is in great shape, the kid corners have been shut down...blah blah blah...the beat reporters miscalculated. The loss of Julian Love has hurt immensely. He was a pro. McKinney hasnt stepped up. Nor has Thibs or Oljulari. We also haven't had a few breaks go our way like last year and a few horrible calls by refs. Wink isn't the problem, the players are for the most part the same as last year. But it is apparent looking at replays they are not giving their all in the tackling department.

Disagree on the talent.  We may have overrated it a bit based upon last year.  Outside of Lawrence there isn't a player out there that you would consider elite.  LW is a shell of what he used to be.  Thibodeaux is physically gifted but not all there as far as his mental game.  And the rest of the group are either really young or never will be much.

There's still a lot of work to do on that side of the ball.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

A lot of young players and we don't know how they will develop. Because of that, Wink needs some slack. He can however review his coverage in certain situations and learn from it and spend more time with tackling drills.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

shadowspinner0

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 24, 2023, 06:40:19 PMThey lost both their starting corners that year (both all pro or at least pro bowl guys) and the D struggled. In just about every year he was there they were a top 5 NFL defense.
Their complaint was that he never adjusted. He kept blitzing, leaving unproven CB's in an island and gave up big plays all season.  Unless our young DB's actually come of age, things can get ugly if he doesn't change his approach.