News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

After watching the All-22

Started by Ed Vette, September 23, 2023, 08:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

And upon reflection...

The Niners are a very well coached team. Yes they have a lot of talent but talent needs to execute and they execute very well. They tackle well, they block well, and they carry out their assignments well. There was a series of downs where on two consecutive plays they Zone Blocked on outside Runs. Same play only on opposite sides. They perfectly executed each and every block and double team to release their RB for nice gains. The Giants on the other hand, were a mess. Yes, of course they were playing with a struggling young RT, rookie Center, a LT with one game experience and a turnstile, but you could see the contrast.

They had confidence and energy and it showed in the extended yards in Runs and over 200 YAC.

Shanahan ran a balanced attack for his young QB and had a plan for when Wink Martindale Blitzed and left himself exposed. Purdy was centered and played within the plan.

The score for most of the game was within reach but it was clear the Niners did not take risks and didn't go for the kill. They came in knowing the Giants game plan and where to exploit weaknesses. The Giants had a poor game plan and there were no adjustments for what was not working.

When the Giants tackled, some were late and they tackled high and had no leverage. This perpetuated throughout the game. As I mentioning several times there was no Rushing Attack after the first series. When Breda was in the backfield he was offset by a yard to pass protect or drop out to checkdowns or Screens, Swings or in the Flat. There was no hesitation in the Niners pass rush and they applied enough pressure while containing Jones. No adjustment at halftime.

When Micah McFadden outplays Bobby O, it's a problem. Okereke seemed like the game was too fast for him. He was constantly late in his Gap assignments and he was a non factor sideline to sideline.

The decision to play Lemieux at LG after  Glowinski looked solid there next to a green LT was something every fan on this site was alarmed about. The fans were right. He was a disaster and he was never pulled at halftime.

During the game DJ sits on the bench all by himself instead of reviewing the previous series with his QB Coach on the IPad. This drives me nuts. There were clear opportunities that they could have taken advantage of. Missed opportunities.

It almost seemed like Daboll was resigned to the fact that they were never going to win this game and he didn't take chances but had a mindset on reducing mistakes.

Again, the Giants did not match the intensity of their opponent. When this happens, players get hurt and they are lucky the injuries weren't worse.

The Giants could have made a few downfield passes, but like I said and Bobby Skinner said the same thing after I watched his podcast, it's going to take a leap of faith in Jalin Hyatt that he will get open and he will make the catch. There were High-Lows where the High was open. They can not tip or drop balls and Jones needs to see the field better and not make bad throws when the opportunity is there. If they did that, would they have had a chance to win? Perhaps and we will never know but I suspect the Niners would have just put the pedal to the floor.

Next up, a game they must win because it seems clear to me that they can not compete with Miami or Buffalo the way they are playing and the way Kafka is calling the game and how they are prepared so far this season. If they lose to Seattle they will be 1-5. Not that 2-4 sounds any better. Because it's really not. It's a hole they just can't dig out of.

Another disappointing season after high hopes.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

Excellent post Ed.

Your post illustrates a lot of what I've been saying. This team has talent but it's not being utilized correctly. Daboll, Kafka, and Wink need to figure stuff out. They have been the most disappointing people so far this season.

Ed Vette

Quote from: JT39 on September 23, 2023, 08:09:50 AMExcellent post Ed.

Your post illustrates a lot of what I've been saying. This team has talent but it's not being utilized correctly. Daboll, Kafka, and Wink need to figure stuff out. They have been the most disappointing people so far this season.
As Rich MightyGiants said, they need to give Simmons and Hyatt a lot more playing time. They can start there and they can be more aggressive from the opening kickoff as they said they wanted to do but then play scared, got punched in the mouth and went in a shell.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Miami and Buffalo both have star power in various places, especially on offense.

Miami's defense has not looked good so far, but their offense has been electric.

The Bill's DL gets up field well, but is vulnerable to the run game.

Still, the Giants will need to execute which they haven't done with the exception of 2 of 12 quarters this far.

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 23, 2023, 08:30:38 AMMiami and Buffalo both have star power in various places, especially on offense.

Miami's defense has not looked good so far, but their offense has been electric.

The Bill's DL gets up field well, but is vulnerable to the run game.

Still, the Giants will need to execute which they haven't done with the exception of 2 of 12 quarters this far.
What's a Run Game?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 23, 2023, 08:34:38 AMWhat's a Run Game?
It's an offensive system used by teams to move the ball down the field. The Giants used to employ that system with great success.

Great summary of the all-22.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Rambo89

Year 7 of the Lynch / Shanahan regime vs Year 2 of the Schoen / Daboll regime

The former has had enough time to have their finger prints, culture, systems and players all over the franchise.  The latter is still a work in progress after the franchise was run into the ground the previous decade.  This is the same theme we see when the Giants play the Eagles.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 23, 2023, 08:06:33 AMAnd upon reflection...

The Niners are a very well coached team. Yes they have a lot of talent but talent needs to execute and they execute very well. They tackle well, they block well, and they carry out their assignments well. There was a series of downs where on two consecutive plays they Zone Blocked on outside Runs. Same play only on opposite sides. They perfectly executed each and every block and double team to release their RB for nice gains. The Giants on the other hand, were a mess. Yes, of course they were playing with a struggling young RT, rookie Center, a LT with one game experience and a turnstile, but you could see the contrast.

They had confidence and energy and it showed in the extended yards in Runs and over 200 YAC.

Shanahan ran a balanced attack for his young QB and had a plan for when Wink Martindale Blitzed and left himself exposed. Purdy was centered and played within the plan.

The score for most of the game was within reach but it was clear the Niners did not take risks and didn't go for the kill. They came in knowing the Giants game plan and where to exploit weaknesses. The Giants had a poor game plan and there were no adjustments for what was not working.

When the Giants tackled, some were late and they tackled high and had no leverage. This perpetuated throughout the game. As I mentioning several times there was no Rushing Attack after the first series. When Breda was in the backfield he was offset by a yard to pass protect or drop out to checkdowns or Screens, Swings or in the Flat. There was no hesitation in the Niners pass rush and they applied enough pressure while containing Jones. No adjustment at halftime.

When Micah McFadden outplays Bobby O, it's a problem. Okereke seemed like the game was too fast for him. He was constantly late in his Gap assignments and he was a non factor sideline to sideline.

The decision to play Lemieux at LG after  Glowinski looked solid there next to a green LT was something every fan on this site was alarmed about. The fans were right. He was a disaster and he was never pulled at halftime.

During the game DJ sits on the bench all by himself instead of reviewing the previous series with his QB Coach on the IPad. This drives me nuts. There were clear opportunities that they could have taken advantage of. Missed opportunities.

It almost seemed like Daboll was resigned to the fact that they were never going to win this game and he didn't take chances but had a mindset on reducing mistakes.

Again, the Giants did not match the intensity of their opponent. When this happens, players get hurt and they are lucky the injuries weren't worse.

The Giants could have made a few downfield passes, but like I said and Bobby Skinner said the same thing after I watched his podcast, it's going to take a leap of faith in Jalin Hyatt that he will get open and he will make the catch. There were High-Lows where the High was open. They can not tip or drop balls and Jones needs to see the field better and not make bad throws when the opportunity is there. If they did that, would they have had a chance to win? Perhaps and we will never know but I suspect the Niners would have just put the pedal to the floor.

Next up, a game they must win because it seems clear to me that they can not compete with Miami or Buffalo the way they are playing and the way Kafka is calling the game and how they are prepared so far this season. If they lose to Seattle they will be 1-6. Not that 1-5 sounds any better. Because it's really not. It's a hole they just can't dig out of.

Another disappointing season after high hopes.

ruins your whole week as a fan....not that we lost, more that we were not prepared and the coaches were clueless.   The Post wants to jump all over Wink but when the offense cannot make a 1st down the time the D spends on the field will wilt any defense

Our Punter likely needed to ice his foot for goodness sakes, terrible
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Trench

Very concerning Is the coaching and Jones not taking advantage of technology

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 23, 2023, 09:05:44 AMYear 7 of the Lynch / Shanahan regime vs Year 2 of the Schoen / Daboll regime

The former has had enough time to have their finger prints, culture, systems and players all over the franchise.  The latter is still a work in progress after the franchise was run into the ground the previous decade.  This is the same theme we see when the Giants play the Eagles.
I know and I hope M&T have the patience because this in NY and the fan base turns in a NY minute. After 1-6, wanna bet some reporter will be calling for jobs?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 23, 2023, 10:05:15 AMI know and I hope M&T have the patience because this in NY and the fan base turns in a NY minute. After 1-6, wanna bet some reporter will be calling for jobs?

After last season I hope at worst Schoen / Daboll have until next season before there is any talk about their jobs.  Should they miss the playoffs this year next season will be an important season to judge their progress and if they are the answer long term.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18