News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Niners Players Mock DJ

Started by Ed Vette, September 23, 2023, 03:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StompYouOT

I'll just say it's likely the only place people will really defend Jones and find alternate reasons for not being competitive are here or other places like these boards.  We will never compete against the top third of the league and the league knows it.

TDToomer

The 49ers are a team that I will be rooting against for a long time. Not that I ever liked them. They've always been a team I hated but now they are almost in Cowboy/Eagle territory of hatred.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

True Blue

Quote from: Trench on September 24, 2023, 02:01:12 PMSimple question for us all to ponder:

If a team offered a 1st round pick straight up for Daniel Jones, would you take it?

If the answer is yes then I think we have our answer as to whether or not he is elite.

I would no question. Depending on the pick it is wither a QB pick or trade ammo to get one. In this scenario the Giants were done with him anyway. Win win in that scenario

Jaime

Well here goes; Eli and Dimes are apples and oranges
Dimes is a pretty smart guy. But if I'm not mistaken, Eli had a top five of all time Wonderlic score :Faint:
Eli would regularly call audibles under Center or in Shotgun. I read that Eli always had two plays that he could Audible to. Eli was so sly, he would simply look at Plax, and Plax would nod back. And the two would hook up on an Audible. What a magical time that was.

Is Dimes even permitted to call Audibles? I mean, we all have watched him go through his Progressions of late, something he struggled with bigtime his 1st couple of seasons.  Well, back to the Thread, Don't you just Luv it when NFL Players make critical remarks behind the veil of anonymity....
What cowards they be.  This is America, the land of the Free.  But the freedom of speech we are afforded, doesn't allow you to "Yell FIRE in a crowed Movie Theater" (always luved that quote).

Busting Dimes balls because Daboll called a lousy Game. Plus as mentioned, we were without the services of Barkley, Thomas,  Breadson and a few others I can't recall.  Missing all those Players on O, really tilted the Field against us.

BlueMoshik

1. Eli Manning enjoyed good protection throughout most of his NFL career, and especially from 2005 to about 2012-2013. It's one of the reasons why the man never got hurt during a decade-and-a-half-long career. That, and his amazing rubber band body.

2. If John Mara and Dave Gettleman thought Daniel Jones was another Manning, they were sorely mistaken. Eli had many faults but he was one of the best improvisers in the history of the game. He could call his own plays 90 percent of the time and if it weren't for the fact that NFL head coaches are control freaks he wouldn't even need to get calls from the sideline. That's not something Jones excels at. Also, he was a risk taker, nothing like DJ. That said, Eli was never much of an athlete and he was slow and awkward when on the run. DJ is a much better athlete and one of the best running QBs in the league. I guess they're both calm players, but Eli always had a lot more personality on and off than field than DJ has ever shown. So I don't rate DJ as highly as Eli, for now at least, but he has his good qualities. He's no Alex Smith by the way. Much better.

Rambo89

Quote from: Trench on September 24, 2023, 02:01:12 PMSimple question for us all to ponder:

If a team offered a 1st round pick straight up for Daniel Jones, would you take it?

If the answer is yes then I think we have our answer as to whether or not he is elite.

2024 1st rounder?  Yes, I would.  Use the Giants pick to get a QB and the other pick to build the rest of the roster.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

They'd never get it, not right now with that contract. It'd more likely be a 2nd and a conditional late pick.

MightyGiants

For the record, am I understanding things correctly?  It seems some of you are suggesting that Daniel Jones is not the answer at QB, and the Giants still have a need at QB.  Is this your position?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 25, 2023, 01:09:21 PMFor the record, am I understanding things correctly?  It seems some of you are suggesting that Daniel Jones is not the answer at QB, and the Giants still have a need at QB.  Is this your position?

I won't answer for others but here is my full explanation.  While I believe Daniel Jones is a solid average Starting QB, from what I've seen through four plus seasons I don't believe even with the proper supporting cast the Giants will be ever able to win a championship with him as their Starting QB.  IMO if you provided him with a good offensive line and a legit #1 WR you would see an increase in performance and production.  However, IMO I don't think it would be as much of an increase that would have him on the level of an elite QB.

Daniel Jones is fine for now as the Giants QB.  They could do a lot worse than him as their Starting QB.  But IMO there will come a point where Schoen will have to make the transition to someone with a higher ceiling and more ability than Jones.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Bob In PA

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 23, 2023, 04:21:47 PMIf there's any truth to this it does show with how predictable Jones is in his decision making
Rambo: I see no relationship at all between Jones' decision-making and the issues supposedly raised by some of the 49-er's players (over-paid, for example).  Would you have Jones take more chances BECAUSE the Giants are paying him a lot of money?  I don't think so.  In fact, you pay him a lot to know when NOT to take chances. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 25, 2023, 01:09:21 PMFor the record, am I understanding things correctly?  It seems some of you are suggesting that Daniel Jones is not the answer at QB, and the Giants still have a need at QB.  Is this your position?
They do. You either have an elite top 5-6 Qb or you don't, and if you don't you should always be searching for one.

Hypothetical we don't come back from this bad start and we are in a position to draft Caleb Williams, or Drake Maye I don't think there's even a remote possibility that if both or one of those guys are on the board that our front office wouldn't take one of them. Sit them a year to learn, and let DJ play out 2024 before going with the new guy in 2025.