News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Around the NFL: Week 3

Started by DaveBrown74, September 24, 2023, 12:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

With our guys having already played and weather on the east coast making any sort of outdoor activity unlikely, this is a good opportunity to check out some other action around the league. Here are the games I'm keying on the most. I'm including the line just for information purposes.

Pats -2.5 at Jets:

Pats have beaten the Jets 14 times in a row. That's pretty astonishing. Can Wilson avoid these terrible gaffes that have cost his team wins in the past and lead an otherwise strong roster to victory today? Or will Belichick get the best of this team yet again?

Chargers +0.5 at Vikes:

Two talented but winless teams battling it out. The loser of this game is in deep, deep trouble. Could be a shootout as neither team plays any D and both have high octane passing attacks. Should be a fun one for fans who enjoy high scoring affairs.

Falcons +3 at Lions:

Intriguing game here. Lions had the big upset in KC back in week one, but their D looked awful in a home game last week. Nobody believes in this Falcon team, but they're 2-0 and they have their share of playmakers. Can they get to 3-0?

Broncos +6 at Miami:

Miami has looked unbeatable so far, but Payton is a seasoned coach and Wilson has played in his share of big games. They also have some playmakers on D. Do they have what it takes to pull an upset here, or are we looking at a 3-0 Miami team?

Steelers +3 at Vegas (night game):

Steelers played well and got a hard-earned victory at home last week against a tough Browns team. Can they make it two in a row by getting it done on the road tonight against a 1-1 Raiders team looking to bounce back from last week's rout in Buffalo?

Blue Since ‘62

Watching the Ravens against the Colts and getting more pissed off that they can be so consistently good on both sides of the ball while the Giants muddle in mediocrity.

DaveBrown74

Zach Wilson just doesn't have it. Romo just commented on how he takes too long to go through his progressions. He has been sacked a couple of times where he has a clean pocket that eventually collapses because he can't find the open guy, even the check-down option. Painful to watch.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Blue Since '62 on September 24, 2023, 01:43:02 PMWatching the Ravens against the Colts and getting more pissed off that they can be so consistently good on both sides of the ball while the Giants muddle in mediocrity.

Yup. Extremely well-run franchise. I'm not sure I would have given Lamar a huge contract myself, but it could end up working out.

Rambo89

Zach Wilson isn't it.  He is absolutely awful.  Any other QB and the Jets probably win that game today.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AYM

Broncos have to fire the defensive coordinator after that. There's no way he can be on the sidelines for another game.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 24, 2023, 04:54:34 PMZach Wilson isn't it.  He is absolutely awful.  Any other QB and the Jets probably win that game today.

Agreed. He's horrible.

With the Vikes now 0-3, I think there is a legit chance the Jets make a move for Cousins. This is the last year of his contract, and the Vikes have to be thinking about tanking for Caleb Williams at this point. Plus there was talk before the season of them potentially being willing to trade Cousins. It makes total sense to do so now. Their season is over. Can't win with that D unless your QB is someone like Mahomes or Allen.

spiderblue43

The Jets should have found a way to beat Mack Jones..who couldn't seal the game. Saw some issues on Jets sidelines already. Saleh is a glad hander who isn't the answer.

Wilson's been there long enough and simply can't function.

AYM

Quote from: spiderblue43 on September 24, 2023, 05:05:58 PMThe Jets should have found a way to beat Mack Jones..who couldn't seal the game. Saw some issues on Jets sidelines already. Saleh is a glad hander who isn't the answer.

Wilson's been there long enough and simply can't function.

Yeah, the real coach of the Jets isn't on the sidelines right now.

spiderblue43

I think the Jets may pull the plug next week. Saleh is so milquetoast I don't know if he demands it. He should. :knockONwood:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on September 24, 2023, 05:10:07 PMI think the Jets may pull the plug next week. Saleh is so milquetoast I don't know if he demands it. He should. :knockONwood:

Who are they going to make the interim HC if they do that though? I don't think Nathaniel Hackett is an option at this point (to say the least). Maybe the DC.

I think they'll probably give Saleh until the end of the year. Losing Rodgers in the first quarter of week one was not exactly in their plans. They lost a close game today to a team that has had every Jet head coach's number for 8 years. They did beat the Bills earlier. I doubt they fire him this week, but if they don't make the playoffs this year then he's gone.

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 24, 2023, 05:16:04 PMWho are they going to make the interim HC if they do that though? I don't think Nathaniel Hackett is an option at this point (to say the least). Maybe the DC.

I think they'll probably give Saleh until the end of the year. Losing Rodgers in the first quarter of week one was not exactly in their plans. They lost a close game today to a team that has had every Jet head coach's number for 8 years. They did beat the Bills earlier. I doubt they fire him this week, but if they don't make the playoffs this year then he's gone.

Dave...talking about Wilson, not Saleh. He'll make it through the year I believe..just don't believe he'll last. Sorry for any confusion.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on September 24, 2023, 05:39:25 PMDave...talking about Wilson, not Saleh. He'll make it through the year I believe..just don't believe he'll last. Sorry for any confusion.

Spider -

Thanks for correcting me. It was actually clear in your post what you meant, so that's my bad.

Yes agreed - Wilson could be relieved of his duties as early as this week possibly, and very likely within the next two weeks. It's pretty clear he's not up to the job.

Philosophers

In Kansas City's 42-0 win today, Kadarius Toney had 1 reception for -1 yards.  Wow.  He's a nobody there.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on September 24, 2023, 06:46:20 PMIn Kansas City's 42-0 win today, Kadarius Toney had 1 reception for -1 yards.  Wow.  He's a nobody there.

I think that first game against the Lions did some serious damage to him. And I'm guessing his behavior has been poor since then. They're probably just about done with him.

I'm not sure how much of an opportunity he'll get after this. If you're a young receiver and you can't have any success on that team, why would you anywhere else?