News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones does not seem to be involved in in-game adjustments

Started by BluesCruz, September 24, 2023, 05:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 09:33:53 AMTim, the title of this thread:

Daniel Jones does not seem to be involved in in-game adjustments

@Dgoodmantrublu is correct in his assertion about the poster having no way of knowing this.   The poster has literally heard none of the discussions between Jones and the coaching staff. It's literally fact-free speculation. 
Rich,

You seem to be truly bothered by this. That's my perspective, based on what I've read so far. I don't have "facts" to support it. All I'm going by is the responses thus far. I am free to speculate based on what I've seen. We all do it.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 09:34:33 AMI watched a bit of the Chargers Vikings game and saw Justin Herbert under pressure for most of the game while at the same time making plays.  That's the difference between an elite QB and an average one.

@TruBlu

Okay, so you saw Herbert on 51 pass plays with 18 total pressures (per PFF)

You saw Jones on 38 pass plays with 23 total pressures (per PFF)

I am not sure .35 pressures per pass play is equal to .61 pressures per pass play
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

expatriot

All I know is that several 49ers players were/are laughing at Jones as reportd in the press.  To me that says a lot. Peer respect=zero.  A bad sign. Never mind all our fandom cheerleading.

MightyGiants

Quote from: expatriot on September 26, 2023, 10:07:25 AMAll I know is that several 49ers players were/are laughing at Jones as reportd in the press.  To me that says a lot. Peer respect=zero.  A bad sign. Never mind all our fandom cheerleading.

I think it says more about the lack of character of the 49ers (as does their cheap shots), but you're entitled to your opinion.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: expatriot on September 26, 2023, 10:07:25 AMAll I know is that several 49ers players were/are laughing at Jones as reportd in the press.  To me that says a lot. Peer respect=zero.  A bad sign. Never mind all our fandom cheerleading.
Eli had his own players laughing at and disrespecting him up to 2006. #whossorrynowtikiandshockey
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 09:52:55 AM@TruBlu

I am not sure .35 pressures per pass play is equal to .61 pressures per pass play

You seem to be missing the point

If he isn't pressured on those other 15 plays and receivers are wide open on some of those plays, he has to strike and make the plays when he has them.

If he isn't pressured in those instances the OL did their job on those plays, if receivers are open, they also did their job on those plays

At that point, if DJ doesn't make those plays, that is solely on him and no one else. Can't blame coaching for DJs faults on a play he has a pocket and open receivers, what more does he need? You can't scheme anything else at that point.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on September 26, 2023, 10:16:20 AMYou seem to be missing the point

If he isn't pressured on those other 15 plays and receivers are wide open on some of those plays, he has to strike and make the plays when he has them.

If he isn't pressured in those instances the OL did their job on those plays, if receivers are open, they also did their job on those plays

At that point, if DJ doesn't make those plays, that is solely on him and no one else. Can't blame coaching for DJs faults on a play he has a pocket and open receivers, what more does he need? You can't scheme anything else at that point.

You seem to be missing my point.   When you are being pressured on well over half the pass plays, a QB needs to speed up his internal clock (or get lots of sacks which stall drives).  When a QB is forced to speed up his clock due to the sort of pressure Jones faced, there are going to be plays left on the table.

You can't have it both ways.  You can't complain about too many sacks (and stalled drives) or plays left on the table as the QB speeds things up to avoid the sacks.   It doesn't matter if an O-line does it's job 1 out of 10 pass snaps, because the QB has no way of knowing which snaps they will be.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 09:52:55 AM@TruBlu

Not all pressure is equal.  That doesn't account for making quick decisions before the pressure can get there.  The point is there are QB's who get pressured consistently yet find a way to make plays.  The elite ones at least do.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 11:16:14 AMNot all pressure is equal.  That doesn't account for making quick decisions before the pressure can get there.  The point is there are QB's who get pressured consistently yet find a way to make plays.  The elite ones at least do.

The bigger point is that I don't think any valid conclusions can be drawn when comparing QBs with such drastically different pressure rates.   How can you even characterize being pressured 35% of the time as "pressured consistently"?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Another topic derailed by a few who took it off topic.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 11:22:32 AMThe bigger point is that I don't think any valid conclusions can be drawn when comparing QBs with such drastically different pressure rates.  How can you even characterize being pressured 35% of the time as "pressured consistently"?

That's your opinion and I respect that but also respectfully disagree. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18