News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Gettleman was still the GM, Barkley would have a big contractt

Started by MightyGiants, September 25, 2023, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Gettleman still refuses to acknowledge that the NFL game has changed, or is willing to listen to analytics

Quote"The style of play in the NFL has certainly evolved in the 60 years I've been watching. But there are certain principles that have not changed, and those are: protect the quarterback, sack the quarterback, run the ball in key spots, and stop the run," Gettleman told the Boston Globe this week. "Those are key points, basic principles, and they have not changed.

"When you build a team, on offense, about the quarterback, it's about the offensive line and it's about touchdown scorers. "Saquon Barkley is a touchdown scorer from anywhere on the field. And, oh by the way, via land or air, he can be in the army or he can be in the air force. You can't put that in an analytic formula. I know that every time Saquon touches the ball. There aren't a ton of those guys, they're rare."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/24/ex-new-york-giants-gm-dave-gettleman-analytics-cant-measure-saquon-barkley-value/?taid=651199695c9b8c000109cccd&utm_campaign=trueAnthem_manual&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Saw this on Saturday and not surprising his arrogance still doesn't believe he's wrong.  Yes, in the NFL you need playmakers but that still doesn't mean you spend the 2nd overall pick on a RB.  The fact that Barkley never became that "gold jacket" player Gettleman believed he was makes the pick even worse than it was at the time.  Outside of his rookie year he has not become the NFL player he is describing.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

I know we're having problems right now but I don't miss this guy one iota. I'll just leave it at that.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 25, 2023, 10:41:26 AMSaw this on Saturday and not surprising his arrogance still doesn't believe he's wrong.  Yes, in the NFL you need playmakers but that still doesn't mean you spend the 2nd overall pick on a RB.  The fact that Barkley never became that "gold jacket" player Gettleman believed he was makes the pick even worse than it was at the time.  Outside of his rookie year he has not become the NFL player he is describing.

The thing is, a RB can still be valuable, just look at the 49ers and McCaffery.  Gettleman doesn't seem to get that Barkley is not a natural receiver and his value as a receiver is limited (in fairness Barkley doesn't get this either).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 25, 2023, 10:44:13 AMThe thing is, a RB can still be valuable, just look at the 49ers and McCaffery.  Gettleman doesn't seem to get that Barkley is not a natural receiver and his value as a receiver is limited (in fairness Barkley doesn't get this either).

Absolutely but it comes down to value of how you are utilizing your draft picks.  Also, Barkley never became the player he was hyped up to be by Gettleman and others.

sxdxca38

In hindsight I didn't mind the Barkley pick, I just wish Gettleman would have also drafted the other PSU standout in Micah Parsons.

It would have been awesome to have Barkley on offense, and Parsons on defense on the same team.

Parsons fell right to them, and they passed, so the blame is on them.

Rambo89

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 25, 2023, 10:49:12 AMIn hindsight I didn't mind the Barkley pick, I just wish Gettleman would have also drafted the other PSU standout in Micah Parsons.

It would have been awesome to have Barkley on offense, and Parsons on defense on the same team.

Parsons fell right to them, and they passed, so the blame is on them.

But the Giants did draft Barkley and did have him on offense.  We all saw what he became as an NFL player and the results it produced.  So I am not sure how drafting Parsons would have changed the Giants on the offensive side of the ball.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 25, 2023, 10:54:10 AMBut the Giants did draft Barkley and did have him on offense.  We all saw what he became as an NFL player and the results it produced.  So I am not sure how drafting Parsons would have changed the Giants on the offensive side of the ball.

It wouldn't have changed the Giants on the offensive side of the ball, but it would have given them a future HOF player on the defensive side of the ball, filling a need at pass rusher, and keeping him away from the rival Cowboys who got him instead.

T200

They bought a Ferrari to drive it on dirt roads. They did not provide the right environment to make use of the vehicle.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

nicky1000

Quote from: T200 on September 25, 2023, 11:43:16 AMThey bought a Ferrari to drive it on dirt roads. They did not provide the right environment to make use of the vehicle.

Best analogy for the situation. Ever. No sarcasm

MightyGiants

I think the bigger issue doesn't technically involve Barkley.  I think that in today's NFL, ideally, you have two RBs who are roughly equally productive.  A RB duo is far better equipped to handle the injury issues that RBs have to deal with, than having a single bell-cow RB
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE