News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What hasn't gone right this season

Started by MightyGiants, September 25, 2023, 01:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb587

I agree with the post above by Bob that it is too early in the season to draw meaningful conclusions and I agree with Phil that the way the preseason played out resulted in the team not being ready for the season.  And it wasn't just the Giants.

A team cannot patch together a group of individuals on the Ol who have not played together at all and expect success against a defense like the 49ers. Add in losing the top offensive playmaker and 4 days rest and on the road.  And, this is coming from someone who saw the Cowboy game as very important. Let the season play out and we'll see.

As an aside, I disagree with those who blame Schoen for the state of the OL at least for now.  We lost 2 journeymen and added a high potential draft choice.  Ez missed lots of last year and McKethan all of last year. I'm one who would have been ok with a Remmers or Pugh type but that's not a big deal and we need to find out what we have in Neal.  We have to be patient

jgrangers2

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 25, 2023, 03:33:33 PMSo the plan for the weak reciver group was to keep two of the starters and sign a slot player.
The Slayton money should've gone to a vet guard and Campbell has currently played like a bad signing and will probably be nothing more then injury insurance for most of the season.
Not sure what they could've done to free up some cap to sign a vet RT and after watching EZ playing the LT spot they should've at least been tried him at RT during the off season.

My point is that solving all these issues was never going to happen in two years. They opted to spend on the receiving corps rather than the O-line, which you can argue is a mistake. But also, the plan for the receiving corps was for Waller to be the top guy and everyone else to be somewhat supplemental.

I think Schoen had a 2-3 year plan, but winning 9 games last year messed with it because suddenly they were drafting 25th and had an actual decision to make on either paying Jones or going with a stopgap QB.

MightyGiants

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 25, 2023, 04:56:55 PMMy point is that solving all these issues was never going to happen in two years. They opted to spend on the receiving corps rather than the O-line, which you can argue is a mistake. But also, the plan for the receiving corps was for Waller to be the top guy and everyone else to be somewhat supplemental.

I think Schoen had a 2-3 year plan, but winning 9 games last year messed with it because suddenly they were drafting 25th and had an actual decision to make on either paying Jones or going with a stopgap QB.

I would suggest the failure of Schoen's first draft class had more of an impact than the unexpected victories
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jgrangers2

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 25, 2023, 05:24:51 PMI would suggest the failure of Schoen's first draft class had more of an impact than the unexpected victories

Sure. Having two top 10 picks and neither of them looking good is obviously not great, but I think this offseason goes a lot differently if the team wins 4-5 games as opposed to 9.

andrew_nyGiants

This all starts and ends at the LOS.

OL & OL COACHING

DL & DL COACHING

SPECIALS & COACHING

ARE THE BIGGEST CULPRITS SO FAR THIS SEASON

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Rambo89

Outside of Dexter Lawrence's play I don't think I can point to a player on this roster that has played more than 2 quarters at a high level.  Everything has gone wrong and they all need to up their games.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on September 25, 2023, 02:57:10 PMWith Neal, I remember watching a 335 pound player do a squat jump and land like 3 higher on some mats and thought that a ridiculous explosiveness for someone so big.  I thought that would translate into lateral movement.  It has not as he looks slow laterally.  Also, he is getting bull rushed successfully by players 50 pounds lighter.  That should not be happening.  Is he just weak in core strength or is his technique to anchor down really bad?  Either is not good.  He has seemed very coachable and has taken to off-season coaching with Willie Anderson which shows maturity and dedication.  I hope Neal evolves into a good player because right now, my misread of Neal has me questioning everything in my life.  How could I be so wrong?

Phil: The issue for me relates directly to your observations. I was certain his feet were "better than" what I saw in these first three games.  IMO no one loses his ability to "dance" (if he ever had any).  That's why I say there is a mental element to his lack of success thus far in the NFL.  He has GOT TO BE overthinking some of the changes the coaches have asked him to make.  How much is mental and how much physical?  Just don't know.  Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

RelaxTension

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 25, 2023, 04:56:55 PMMy point is that solving all these issues was never going to happen in two years. They opted to spend on the receiving corps rather than the O-line, which you can argue is a mistake. But also, the plan for the receiving corps was for Waller to be the top guy and everyone else to be somewhat supplemental.

I just don't understand how especially after these past few years they haven't figured out the need for a functioning Oline because everything else won't matter. I'm not sure if Allen was able to overcome a bad oline and they thought they could get a way with it with Jones.
They decide to pay Jones a big contract where I again would expect them to want to protect that investment yet here we are will terrible oline play and a few more average WRs trying to make plays while under instant duress. .
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

RelaxTension

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 26, 2023, 03:16:47 AMPhil: The issue for me relates directly to your observations. I was certain his feet were "better than" what I saw in these first three games.  IMO no one loses his ability to "dance" (if he ever had any).  That's why I say there is a mental element to his lack of success thus far in the NFL.  He has GOT TO BE overthinking some of the changes the coaches have asked him to make.  How much is mental and how much physical?  Just don't know.  Bob

Not sure about his foot speed but there was reports about how bad his balance was at the college level leaving him on the turf and that hasn't seemed to change.

Rambo89

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 26, 2023, 07:48:52 AMI just don't understand how especially after these past few years they haven't figured out the need for a functioning Oline because everything else won't matter. I'm not sure if Allen was able to overcome a bad oline and they thought they could get a way with it with Jones.
They decide to pay Jones a big contract where I again would expect them to want to protect that investment yet here we are will terrible oline play and a few more average WRs trying to make plays while under instant duress. .

They spent the 7th overall pick on a player that they penciled in at Right Tackle having used the 4th overall pick on a Left Tackle 2 years prior.  If they didn't recognize the need for good offensive line play then I don't think they would have invested as much resources into it as they have.  They have recognized the need for it they just haven't been able to get the ROI on the investments they've made into the Offensive line.

jgrangers2

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 26, 2023, 07:48:52 AMI just don't understand how especially after these past few years they haven't figured out the need for a functioning Oline because everything else won't matter. I'm not sure if Allen was able to overcome a bad oline and they thought they could get a way with it with Jones.

They've spent three top 90 picks on the O-line in the last 2 years. They got Glowinski and Bredeson last year. If they could literally just pick any player they want to be on their team, I'm sure they'd grab a couple of All-Pro guards but it doesn't work that way.

RelaxTension

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 26, 2023, 09:18:59 AMThey've spent three top 90 picks on the O-line in the last 2 years. They got Glowinski and Bredeson last year. If they could literally just pick any player they want to be on their team, I'm sure they'd grab a couple of All-Pro guards but it doesn't work that way.
Not asking for all pro players although for next season they will have the cap space to get one especially at Guard.
Fixing a bad oline line by drafting a Center and then leaving the rest with a hope and prayer with the ones that played so poor will improve enough doesn't make sense to me.
I get they had to see if Neal was going to improve but they also need a back up Tackle so I felt the investment was warrented. 

RelaxTension

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 08:26:31 AMThey spent the 7th overall pick on a player that they penciled in at Right Tackle having used the 4th overall pick on a Left Tackle 2 years prior.  If they didn't recognize the need for good offensive line play then I don't think they would have invested as much resources into it as they have.  They have recognized the need for it they just haven't been able to get the ROI on the investments they've made into the Offensive line.
So your in the camp that they can't make bad draft choices picking that high and can run with garbage players as back up?
Just drafting a center and nothing else this off season is what they did which has proven to be a bad choice after 3 games. There is no option at this point but to have hope these players won't continue to be the worse in the league at their positions and EZ did look good enough at LT that maybe he can be that swing tackle back up or the starting RT if Neal contnues to play the same.

Rambo89

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 26, 2023, 09:29:42 AMSo your in the camp that they can't make bad draft choices picking that high and can run with garbage players as back up?
Just drafting a center and nothing else this off season is what they did which has proven to be a bad choice after 3 games. There is no option at this point but to have hope these players won't continue to be the worse in the league at their positions and EZ did look good enough at LT that maybe he can be that swing tackle back up or the starting RT if Neal contnues to play the same.

I'm in the camp that they haven't gotten the return in the offensive line play for all that they've invested into it.  The issue isn't that they haven't tried to fix the offensive line or invested highly into it.  There isn't a team that has invested two top 10 picks into their offensive line.  Teams that have invested less have gotten better line play than the Giants.

Bob In PA

Quote from: RelaxTension on September 26, 2023, 07:51:17 AMNot sure about his foot speed but there was reports about how bad his balance was at the college level leaving him on the turf and that hasn't seemed to change.
RT: Agree.  I think there's a direct relationship between slow/bad footwork and overall balance.

If your don't move the feet fast/soon enough to get them under your center of gravity you're usually in trouble.

The very best OL's get out-maneuvered almost as much as bad OL's. IMO, the difference is that good OL's are quick to reset themselves to a "neutral" position (which often bears a strong resemblance to the position in which they began the play immedately after coming out of their set at the time the ball is snapped.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!