News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CJ Stroud Vs Daniel Jones

Started by Philosophers, September 25, 2023, 11:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 09:26:29 AMPoint is if you are going to not count something when the receiver doesn't bail out the QB then should the QB get credit when the receiver bails out the QB?  Think it needs to go both ways if you're going to do something like that.

The INT is being "counted".  What Tim is suggesting is that the INT be credited to the party that is responsible.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I think when people go down the road of parsing through INTs and claiming a certain number of a QB's recorded INTs were not his fault and hence "aren't really INTs", the exercise is incomplete and imbalanced unless errant throws that easily could have or should have been INTs are also included in the analysis.

In the long run (not three games but over time) these two forces cancel each other out.

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 09:27:31 AMThe INT is being "counted".  What Tim is suggesting is that the INT be credited to the party that is responsible.

Ok, then should there be a stat where the receiver makes a play on a poorly thrown ball?

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 26, 2023, 09:28:23 AMI think when people go down the road of parsing through INTs and claiming a certain number of a QB's recorded INTs were not his fault and hence "aren't really INTs", the exercise is incomplete and imbalanced unless errant throws that easily could have or should have been INTs are also included in the analysis.

In the long run (not three games but over time) these two forces cancel each other out.

That's exactly my feeling that it cancels each other out in the long run.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

The competition faced had a lot to do with the stat line and Stroud would have had a more difficult time facing Dallas and the Niners. Still, I was impressed with Stroud and he beat and outplayed Trevor Lawrence in a game Jacksonville should have won. Pressure is pressure no matter who sends is or how it comes.

I do think the Giants would be at least 2-1 with that schedule or I would hope they would.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 09:26:29 AMPoint is if you are going to not count something when the receiver doesn't bail out the QB then should the QB get credit when the receiver bails out the QB?  Think it needs to go both ways if you're going to do something like that.
Totally not the same. A receiver that catches a less than accurate pass isn't necessarily bailing out a QB. A QB can deliberately throw a pass low into coverage so his receiver doesn't get his head taken off. Back-shoulder throws, corner of the end zone, sideline passes fall into that category.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

All - I apologize as I made a critical mistake.  I inadvertently wrote down their first three preseason teams they played, not their first three regular season games.  Sorry.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on September 26, 2023, 01:20:58 PMAll - I apologize as I made a critical mistake.  I inadvertently wrote down their first three preseason teams they played, not their first three regular season games.  Sorry.

I appreciate the effort and the admission.  We all make mistakes, including me (I have made plenty)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Quote from: Philosophers on September 26, 2023, 01:20:58 PMAll - I apologize as I made a critical mistake.  I inadvertently wrote down their first three preseason teams they played, not their first three regular season games.  Sorry.

Now if you put down TCU, Nebraska, and Colorado State - we would have busted you a little more on why a QB has looked good   =))  =))

nicky1000

Quote from: T200 on September 26, 2023, 07:15:46 AMIs there a need to be "in your face" with your response??

Sorry. I do not typically get that aggressive but the anti DJ rhetoric is for another board (IMHO).  But I see your point; my apologies. As for the other poster who critiqued the argument for DJ because I felt the Dallas game was a throw away, the whole argument for each is subjective.

Philosophers

Quote from: nicky1000 on September 26, 2023, 02:02:00 PMSorry. I do not typically get that aggressive but the anti DJ rhetoric is for another board (IMHO).  But I see your point; my apologies. As for the other poster who critiqued the argument for DJ because I felt the Dallas game was a throw away, the whole argument for each is subjective.

By the way, I am not in the Pro or Anti DJ camp, but squarely in the middle.  Just trying to figure out if there is something that might unlock a more effective passing game.  I continue to be frustrated that Dabs/Kafka are not rolling him out to buy time to make more deep throws while also giving him the option to run. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 26, 2023, 09:33:04 AMThe competition faced had a lot to do with the stat line and Stroud would have had a more difficult time facing Dallas and the Niners. Still, I was impressed with Stroud and he beat and outplayed Trevor Lawrence in a game Jacksonville should have won. Pressure is pressure no matter who sends is or how it comes.

I do think the Giants would be at least 2-1 with that schedule or I would hope they would.
I thought stroud was a bad pick,but I genuinely might just be scared off by Ohio St qbs but he hasn't looked horrible.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 26, 2023, 04:42:01 PMI thought stroud was a bad pick,but I genuinely might just be scared off by Ohio St qbs but he hasn't looked horrible.
There is that bad history. I forgot Dwayne Haskins was killed on a highway in a freak accident but he was hyped by a lot of people.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

I thought Stroud had a ceiling of being a middling NFL starter. My view on him was if you have a team that includes Harrison Jr, Olave, Henderson, Wilson, etc, you better not just be very good, you better be absolutely spectacular. Ie Heisman Trophy and winning a national championship, a la Joe Burrow. Stroud had a good career at OSU but he was hardly all time.

We'll see how he pans out, but this is unquestionably an auspicious start for him to this point.