News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

These numbers might explain some of the offensive struggles

Started by MightyGiants, September 26, 2023, 08:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Fully acknowledging Jones hasn't been perfect and has left some plays on the field, it's not hard to see the support pillars are simply not there.

Receiving

YAC

Campbell (minus-0.6) and Slayton (minus-0.4) are producing fewer yards after catch than the analytics project based on factors such as speed, separation and the ratio of blockers to tacklers in space, according to NextGenStats.

Hodgins (0.1) and Waller (0.1) are contributing negligible gains.

SEPARATION

Of the 135 NFL pass-catchers who have seen at least eight targets, Campbell is the only Giant ranked among the top 97 in terms of separation created (3.4 yards per route).

Giants head coach Brian Daboll reacts on the sideline
Giants head coach Brian Daboll reacts on the sideline.
Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post
Waller (2.6), Slayton (2.0) and Hodgins (1.8) rank No. 98, No. 130 and No. 133, respectively.

PFF ranks Giants receiving 30th

Protection

Jones, whose 11 scrambles are fourth-most in the league, is the quarterback who has faced the most pressures (56) while playing behind three different starting offensive line combinations in as many games.

PFF ranks Giants 31st in pass blocking

Coaching/Scheme

Defenses are copying the successful schemes run by the Eagles in last year's playoff loss to shut down the Giants' offense.

I would argue the biggest issue has been the O-line.  Without some semblance of NFL-caliber protection, it's hard for the receivers to have time to achieve separation.  It's hard for Jones to allow his internal clock to be long enough to make the big plays happen.  As to the coaching, even that can be hampered if your O-line plays as poorly as the Giants O-line has.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Rich, a balanced attack is the key to a lot of these issues. By balanced, I don't just mean Run and Pass but depth of passes and sideline to sideline. The Dallas game was an anomaly because of the turnovers, fumbles and sacks, they were clearly not prepared for that game even though it was a balanced attack run to pass, they needed screen passes and swing passes to keep the rush honest. In AZ the heavy runs set up the passing.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 26, 2023, 09:14:10 AMRich, a balanced attack is the key to a lot of these issues. By balanced, I don't just mean Run and Pass but depth of passes and sideline to sideline. The Dallas game was an anomaly because of the turnovers, fumbles and sacks, they were clearly not prepared for that game even though it was a balanced attack run to pass, they needed screen passes and swing passes to keep the rush honest. In AZ the heavy runs set up the passing.

Screen passes would be a great counter.  Unfortunately, it's been many many years since the Giants had an effective screen game.  I have no idea why, but that issue goes back to the Coughlin and Eli Manning days.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 09:15:53 AMScreen passes would be a great counter.  Unfortunately, it's been many many years since the Giants had an effective screen game.  I have no idea why, but that issue goes back to the Coughlin and Eli Manning days.
PFF has a graph of each game for runs and passes that show depth and direction and yards gained. You can gain some insight from that.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 08:54:23 AMFully acknowledging Jones hasn't been perfect and has left some plays on the field, it's not hard to see the support pillars are simply not there.
Rich: Well done and very comprehensive but I wouldn't put as much stock in YAC compared to all the other factors.

Why not? Because greater analysis is required to determine what the play was designed to do. 

IMO, so far, plays have been designed to deliver "safe" passing situations after the receiver has already gotten enough yardage to move (or avoid getting behind) the chains. Jones knows if he throws accurately and directly AT the receiver on such plays a first-down or significant amount of yardage WILL result, so he's not throwing ahead of (or over the head of) the receiver. I believe this has been done by the coaching staff intentionally, especially against teams with superior personnel (Dallas and SF). You can see why. The goal against them is primarily to possess the ball as long as possible (scoring points is secondary, IMO). When the Giants play teams with equal or inferior personnel (Cardinals) they throw more of the types of passes in which YAC is noteworthy (those requiring precise ball placement in order to maximum the potential for big gains).  At this point in the season, I believe the entire offense is not yet "in." I expect to see a much greater variety of stuff in the next game and the two following it, because they've now had lots of time to add stuff in the span between SF and Seattle.  Time will tell.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

BluesCruz

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 26, 2023, 10:36:02 AMRich: Well done and very comprehensive but I wouldn't put as much stock in YAC compared to all the other factors.

Why not? Because greater analysis is required to determine what the play was designed to do. 

IMO, so far, plays have been designed to deliver "safe" passing situations after the receiver has already gotten enough yardage to move (or avoid getting behind) the chains. Jones knows if he throws accurately and directly AT the receiver on such plays a first-down or significant amount of yardage WILL result, so he's not throwing ahead of (or over the head of) the receiver. I believe this has been done by the coaching staff intentionally, especially against teams with superior personnel (Dallas and SF). You can see why. The goal against them is primarily to possess the ball as long as possible (scoring points is secondary, IMO). When the Giants play teams with equal or inferior personnel (Cardinals) they throw more of the types of passes in which YAC is noteworthy (those requiring precise ball placement in order to maximum the potential for big gains).  At this point in the season, I believe the entire offense is not yet "in." I expect to see a much greater variety of stuff in the next game and the two following it, because they've now had lots of time to add stuff in the span between SF and Seattle.  Time will tell.

Bob

I agree we agree under performing

We are lacking quality lineman

But if we schemed better play calling that disparity could be aliviated a bit

its been a total team failure so far....a few wins would change the mood
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 09:15:53 AMScreen passes would be a great counter.  Unfortunately, it's been many many years since the Giants had an effective screen game.  I have no idea why, but that issue goes back to the Coughlin and Eli Manning days.

My big issue with screen passes , is that 3 games in and for most of recent history the yardage gained is not major

Rather run on first down and see what the RB can do and let the defense know Giants arent one dimensional even if they are struggling with the run

Rosehill Jimmy

https://www.giants.com/podcasts/big-blue-kickoff-live-9-25-improving-the-x-s-and-o-s

Schmeelk offers some interesting numbers on the amount of pressure applied by SF as it related to the types of routes
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"