News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why did the Giants keep Sterling Shepard?

Started by MightyGiants, September 26, 2023, 12:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I am using PFF

Shep has played only 26 snaps out of the offense's 188 snaps

Now normally when a WR isn't playing that many snaps (despite being active all 3 games) they are a key special teams contributor.   Shep has taken zero special teams' snaps.

This sure looks like a waste of a valuable roster spot.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 12:54:48 PMI am using PFF

Shep has played only 26 snaps out of the offense's 188 snaps

Now normally when a WR isn't playing that many snaps (despite being active all 3 games) they are a key special teams contributor.   Shep has taken zero special teams' snaps.

This sure looks like a waste of a valuable roster spot.

After week one they cut his snaps down... my issue with this is that Paris seems to be getting the huge chunk of the snaps at that spot... more snaps should be given to Wandale, Hyatt and some to shep

Dgoodmantrublu

He's being kept as a leader to mentor Hyatt. There is a reason his locker is where it is. This more valuable than a 53rd guy who would replace him.

Rambo89

Loyalty and depth.  Think there will be a certain point this season where the Giants may end up letting him go as long as Robinson and Hyatt step up their games consistently.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

It is not the first time the Giants have been guided by emotion over common sense with an impactful decision.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 01:09:03 PMLoyalty and depth.  Think there will be a certain point this season where the Giants may end up letting him go as long as Robinson and Hyatt step up their games consistently.

I am almost certain that when a vested vet like Shep is on the roster for week one, the rest of the season's salary is guaranteed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 26, 2023, 01:12:53 PMI am almost certain that when a vested vet like Shep is on the roster for week one, the rest of the season's salary is guaranteed.

Could they put him on IR to open up a roster spot if needed?
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 26, 2023, 01:15:36 PMCould they put him on IR to open up a roster spot if needed?

They can IR Shep. They can even cut Shep (although the team is still on the hook for his salary).  I did confirm the guaranteed salary.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/explaining-the-nfl-vested-veteran-week-1-rule-how-it-could-impact-free-agents/

Many teams will cut a player like Shep and sign him in week 2 so they are not on the hook for the guaranteed money.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I really wouldn't mind getting Shep some snaps. He is pretty sure handed when thrown to. I would like to see a few series with him in the slot. What the Giants have done so far obviously isn't working, get Shep in there and let's see if that shakes things up a bit. If nothing else, he will bring the emotion to a lineup that looked like they didn't want to be on the field with SF.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Dgoodmantrublu

The solution is better pass protection and more Hyatt. We need to get the ball downfield. Good teams are overplaying these short passes.

sooners56

When healthy, Shepard is the best WR the Giants have imo
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Dgoodmantrublu

I think this used to be true, but the injuries have taken their toll. I don't think he has the quicks to win in the slot anymore.

Quote from: sooners56 on September 26, 2023, 01:47:39 PMWhen healthy, Shepard is the best WR the Giants have imo

TDToomer

How do you IR a healthy player without the player and league calling foul?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on September 26, 2023, 02:16:13 PMHow do you IR a healthy player without the player and league calling foul?

If Shep is fully healthy and they put him on IR, the NFL could have an issue (if they find out).  However, the bar to put a player on IR is pretty low.   A players simply has to be unavailable for one practice.

The Reserve/Injured List, better known as injured reserve or IR, is a list for players who have suffered a football injury that makes them not immediately available to their team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE