News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Computer/Printer help needed

Started by LennG, September 26, 2023, 05:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I have a very unusual problem here. My printer (an HP Wireless printer) is connected to my wifi as I can print from my wife's laptop. But on my desktop, which is what I use all the time, it tells me the printer is offline and will not print. I have tried everything and anything to get it to work. If I go to the printer and I try to scan something, that works, but only when I press on PRINT, nothing happens. I have tried to restart my printer, my router, and my computer but nothing works. On my computer, it still says the printer is offline.
I have tried adding a printer, and it finds my printer but when I click, connect, it says there is a problem.
Could there be a problem with Windows I have gotten messages to update but I don't think I have.

Again, my computer communicates with the printer when I click on Scan a document, only when I click on print, nothing happens, and in the control panel it says my printer is offline.

Any suggestion?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Check for a system update missed. Otherwise, check your warranty. It might be worth it to extend it and get tech help from HP. It happened to me.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 26, 2023, 06:41:09 PMCheck for a system update missed. Otherwise, check your warranty. It might be worth it to extend it and get tech help from HP. It happened to me.

The printer is about 7 years old, and the warranty long ago expired.

How would I check for a system update? Remember who you are talking to here. Mr. IT stupid
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on September 26, 2023, 06:56:55 PMThe printer is about 7 years old, and the warranty long ago expired.

How would I check for a system update? Remember who you are talking to here. Mr. IT stupid
I suggest you call HP support and see what your opinions are.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on September 26, 2023, 05:46:32 PMI have a very unusual problem here. My printer (an HP Wireless printer) is connected to my wifi as I can print from my wife's laptop. But on my desktop, which is what I use all the time, it tells me the printer is offline and will not print. I have tried everything and anything to get it to work. If I go to the printer and I try to scan something, that works, but only when I press on PRINT, nothing happens. I have tried to restart my printer, my router, and my computer but nothing works. On my computer, it still says the printer is offline.
I have tried adding a printer, and it finds my printer but when I click, connect, it says there is a problem.
Could there be a problem with Windows I have gotten messages to update but I don't think I have.

Again, my computer communicates with the printer when I click on Scan a document, only when I click on print, nothing happens, and in the control panel it says my printer is offline.

Any suggestion?

I would go to the HP website and download the latest version of the printer's software.  Then uninstall the printer and reinstall it with the newest software.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

LennG

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Here's what has happened. My son asked me to check the network to make sure it was on the same. I knew it was as I was able to scan, but it still said the printer was offline. I went into settings and then Network, WiFi, and found my network. I clicked on Properties and there were two switches, one said Private and one Public. The Public one was on. It said here my PC was hidden from printing and some other stuff. I closed that and clicked on Private, which also says my PC is now discoverable and can be used for printing. I clicked that to put it on, and viola, I can print again. I don't know if I enabled, my PC to be open and at risk for other things, but the printer works.
Does this sound like a reliable thing to have done?

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Yes, sounds correct Len. Congratulations!!