News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why didn’t the Giants retain Geno Smith?

Started by Ed Vette, September 29, 2023, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

For his first start after just a week's practice, he didn't play badly. He could have competed for the starting position at some point. 

https://x.com/tommyg105/status/1707525158368391388?s=46
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ralphpal1

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

The HC and GM who started Smith in just one game were immediately fired after a massive overreaction by the fans and media.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Geno seems to have done some growing up Seattle.  Perhaps with the Giants he was the same guy he was with the Jets.  I didn't see anything while with the Giants that would convince me otherwise.

Giant Jim

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 29, 2023, 09:27:55 AMGeno seems to have done some growing up Seattle.  Perhaps with the Giants he was the same guy he was with the Jets.  I didn't see anything while with the Giants that would convince me otherwise.
I only saw him once when he was with the Giants.

Rambo89

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 29, 2023, 09:27:55 AMGeno seems to have done some growing up Seattle.  Perhaps with the Giants he was the same guy he was with the Jets.  I didn't see anything while with the Giants that would convince me otherwise.

And the Giants were not in the position Seattle is in right now with a team around him to prop him up.  I don't believe had the Giants retained him at the time with massive holes all over the roster that they would have gotten the same out of Geno Smith that Seattle has.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 29, 2023, 09:15:36 AMThe HC and GM who started Smith in just one game were immediately fired after a massive overreaction by the fans and media.   
Rich: Hmmm... why does that sound so familiar?
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Why, because most fans were ready to run him out of town as quickly as possible. After all, he ended Eli's streak (I know it wasn't his fault but he was the QB who did). No one saw him as anything more than a journeyman QB just looking to hang on for a paycheck, not a viable replacement for anyone, let alone a starter. Why should they not think that way, he had been in the NFL for about 10 years without anyone seeing anything from him to warrant a starting paycheck. He fell into the perfect situation and has capitalized on it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Woody

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 29, 2023, 09:15:36 AMThe HC and GM who started Smith in just one game were immediately fired after a massive overreaction by the fans and media.   
Exactly
He had to go because he started a game ...not Eli.