News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants go from Favorites to underdogs

Started by MightyGiants, October 02, 2023, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
Big swing in the betting line of Seahawks-Giants this week.

The Giants were 1.5-point favorites not long after it opened last week on
@CaesarsSports
. They are now 2-point underdogs at home playing in primetime. That's a massive 3.5-point swing.

Not having their two best offensive players no doubt is part of the equation. The Giants are without LT Andrew Thomas and RB Saquon Barkley is not expected to play. Makes it a lot harder for them to succeed offensively.
8:56 AM · Oct 2, 2023
·
 Views

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1708828240343613724?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Not quite sure how that's a massive point swing.

Besides, these point spreads don't mean diddly squat as to how it relates to the outcome of the game. It's a gambler's issue, not a football one.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 02, 2023, 09:38:38 AMNot quite sure how that's a massive point swing.

Besides, these point spreads don't mean diddly squat as to how it relates to the outcome of the game. It's a gambler's issue, not a football one.

100% true, although we were all very dismissive here about the 7.5 win over/under for the Giants, with the majority here predicting 10 wins or more, and the betting public looks to have been more on point.

One thing that I think is fair to say is that the public is less biased than a group of Giants fans.

MightyGiants

Here is the final injury report.  The Giants are missing their 2 best offensive players, but it's not like the Seahawks are coming into this game healthy

Seattle Seahawks
Out

CB Artie Burns (hamstring)
CB Tre Brown (concussion)
Doubtful

T Charles Cross (toe)
CB/S Coby Bryant (toe)
Questionable

DE Dre'Mont Jones (hip)
LB Derick Hall (knee)
TE Noah Fant (knee)
C Evan Brown (quadricep)
TE Will Dissly (shoulder)
New York Giants
Out

OL Andrew Thomas
Doubtful

RB Saquon Barkley
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 02, 2023, 09:43:03 AM100% true, although we were all very dismissive here about the 7.5 win over/under for the Giants, with the majority here predicting 10 wins or more, and the betting public looks to have been more on point.

One thing that I think is fair to say is that the public is less biased than a group of Giants fans.

I would say the betting public is less biased than Giants fans.   Giants were 14-5 against the spread, including playoffs, in 2022.   I think it's fair to say the betting public has their own biases to deal with.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 09:51:22 AMI would say the betting public is less biased than Giants fans.   Giants were 14-5 against the spread, including playoffs, in 2022.   I think it's fair to say the betting public has their own biases to deal with.

That was true last year but not in most of the previous decade. The Giants have consistently fallen short of the Vegas win total during that stretch.

MagicRat

Surely the odds and the spread are dictated by the amount of cash bet on the various outcomes?
ie it's announced Barkley and Thomas are out, there's a flood of money on Seattle, the bookies move the odds and spread as a consequence.
Smell my cheese you mother!