News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Time for a serious, no-spin conversation about Daniel Jones

Started by DaveBrown74, October 02, 2023, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:07:43 PMWell for one, you seem to think he doesn't have enough to work with, when he is missing receivers who are WIDE OPEN against nfl defenses and time to get it to them. And over-blaming the OL for things that are not their fault. They aren't good, but not as bad as some want to paint the picture of.

So pardon me, for not thinking you have a solid understanding of what we do have on the team.

Or are you evaluting the talent and dismissing how bad the talent is because you hate Jones that much?

If our OL wasnt that bad - how come we cant run the ball either? 60 carries for 190 yards. Is that Jones' fault too?

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 11:59:47 AMEkeler, Allen, and Williams are on par with barkley, Slayton, and Hodgins? let me guess mixon, boyd, higgins, and chase are on the same level as them too? I have heard of it all now.

Oh by the way, herbert really struggled this past week without Ekeler and Williams. Yes they won, but if you want to argue a 54% completion percentage with one TD and one INT is a special performance, then so be it.

You can remove Hodgins from that group and instead replace him and maybe even Slayton with Robinson and Hyatt.  When you add in Waller who is a mismatch as a TE in the passing game the weapons are similar for both QB's and neither QB has a good offensive line.  As a QB you need to get these playmakers the ball.  They have ability that is being wasted.

And yes as I said before those QB's aren't immune to sub par games once in a while.  But when you look at their overall body of work it's light years ahead of Jones.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

JT39

And lets look at what the league thinks of our surrounding cast:

Slayton - 2 year only 5 million guaranteed.
Campbell - 1 year 4 million
Hyatt - passed up by 31 other teams for two rounds
Waller - a bad team traded him for only a 3rd
Hodgins - couldnt even make the Bills team last year
Shepard - 1 year minimum contract

I mean do you really think these guys are coveted by other teams? Seriously?

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:10:13 PMOr are you evaluting the talent and dismissing how bad the talent is because you hate Jones that much?

If our OL wasnt that bad - how come we cant run the ball either? 60 carries for 190 yards. Is that Jones' fault too?

Poor talent would not be frequently getting open like they are.

Not their fault the QB won't look their way because they aren't the checkdown.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:13:20 PMAnd lets look at what the league thinks of our surrounding cast:

Slayton - 2 year only 5 million guaranteed.
Campbell - 1 year 4 million
Hyatt - passed up by 31 other teams for two rounds
Waller - a bad team traded him for only a 3rd
Hodgins - couldnt even make the Bills team last year
Shepard - 1 year minimum contract

I mean do you really think these guys are coveted by other teams? Seriously?

LOL,  I like how you leave Robinson off of there. 

If you are going to judge Hyatt by how many teams passed on him how about all of the teams that passed on Justin Jefferson or the teams that passed on Randy Moss?  Guess that means those guys aren't good.

Waller came for a third round pick due to injury concerns.  He wasn't brought in to be a blocking TE.  He was brought in to be a weapon in the passing game because of the match up issues he presents for the opposition.  But if you don't get him the ball it's useless.

Not every team has 4 WR weapons.  There is enough here in the passing game that if you get them the ball in spots that aren't check downs or underneath routes that they can make plays.

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:17:51 PMPoor talent would not be frequently getting open like they are.

Not their fault the QB won't look their way because they aren't the checkdown.

The stats say opposite. Pointing out to  few select plays doesnt make your point true.

Again, if the talent is so great - why didnt other teams want them?

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:22:09 PMThe stats say opposite. Pointing out to  few select plays doesnt make your point true.

Again, if the talent is so great - why didnt other teams want them?

What stats?

Danny boy is locking onto and looking for the checkdown every play

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 06, 2023, 12:20:44 PMLOL,  I like how you leave Robinson off of there. 

If you are going to judge Hyatt by how many teams passed on him how about all of the teams that passed on Justin Jefferson or the teams that passed on Randy Moss?  Guess that means those guys aren't good.

Waller came for a third round pick due to injury concerns.  He wasn't brought in to be a blocking TE.  He was brought in to be a weapon in the passing game because of the match up issues he presents for the opposition.  But if you don't get him the ball it's useless.

Not every team has 4 WR weapons.  There is enough here in the passing game that if you get them the ball in spots that aren't check downs or underneath routes that they can make plays.

Like you can laugh all you want - but obviously you dont understand that all those players I mentioned - were all available this past offseason to other teams. Robinson was not. I hope you can understand now.

And when Hyatt actually produces at a level thats even near Jefferson - we can have a conversation about him.

And if Waller is that much of an x factor - the raiders wouldnt have traded him and orther teams would have offered a better pick. Again, no body thought much of him.

But I forgot our passing game rivals that of the the best teams in the league.... lol - now thats what is funny.

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 06, 2023, 12:23:34 PMWhat stats?

Danny boy is locking onto and looking for the checkdown every play

You read a lot of threads - mighty posts them all the time.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 12:25:08 PMLike you can laugh all you want - but obviously you dont understand that all those players I mentioned - were all available this past offseason to other teams. Robinson was not. I hope you can understand now.

And when Hyatt actually produces at a level thats even near Jefferson - we can have a conversation about him.

And if Waller is that much of an x factor - the raiders wouldnt have traded him and orther teams would have offered a better pick. Again, no body thought much of him.

But I forgot our passing game rivals that of the the best teams in the league.... lol - now thats what is funny.

If this is the narrative you're going with apply that to Daniel Jones.  What team was beating down his door to give him the contract the Giants did?  If he is as good as you believe wouldn't Jones have had teams all coveting him?

JT39

Cause the topic brought up that our skilled players were good enough to compete at a high level and I tried to show that the league doesnt view our skilled players at a high level. I am not sure why the pivot always has to be on Jones. But the players we have brought in were not players who other teams saw as impact players. Yet we have people putting them up with that of some of the best players in the league.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on October 06, 2023, 11:53:13 AMWell we only have to play him one more year.

I assume you mean we only have to PAY him one more year.

The Giants don't have to PLAY him for even one more game if they don't want to.

True Blue

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 06, 2023, 12:31:26 PMIf this is the narrative you're going with apply that to Daniel Jones.  What team was beating down his door to give him the contract the Giants did?  If he is as good as you believe wouldn't Jones have had teams all coveting him?

Hell with the bidding war the Giants got a bargain here!

True Blue

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 06, 2023, 12:40:44 PMI assume you mean we only have to PAY him one more year.

If they were OK benching Golladay, if they have another option I think this is accurate, they won't let salaries dictate playing time

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 06, 2023, 12:40:44 PMI assume you mean we only have to PAY him one more year.

Yes, definite typo. Like I said, if we draft a Qb in top 10 - I would insist the kid start right away.