News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Are the Giants headed in the right direction

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 07:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the Giants headed in the right direction

MightyGiants

We are sort of a quarter of the way through the new season.   Do you believe this team is headed in the right direction?  By that, I mean they have their GM and HC.  They are bringing in the players to form the core of a competitive team.  The process is sound and the team is getting the most of the talent they have.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

I'm going to give it the rest of this season into next season should Mara and Tisch not jump the gun and decide to do another reset.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 07:36:45 AMWe are sort of a quarter of the way through the new season.   Do you believe this team is headed in the right direction?  By that, I mean they have their GM and HC.  They are bringing in the players to form the core of a competitive team.  The process is sound and the team is getting the most of the talent they have.

absolutely not. none of schoens picks have shown an ounce of competency. daboll cant get this group to be motivated or disciplined. this is a sinking ship right now.

Rambo89

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 07:47:53 AMabsolutely not. none of schoens picks have shown an ounce of competency. daboll cant get this group to be motivated or disciplined. this is a sinking ship right now.

So what we replace another coach for the five time in less than a decade?

katkavage

I will give Daboll another year, regardless. But again, the decision making by management is always suspect here. The problems start at the top. Always. My feeling when there is a big shakeup is not go half way. Tear it down and start over. That meant getting rid of assets like Barkley and Jones to build for the future. And bring in your own people. This patch work approach never works.

T200

If the direction is to be in the running for one of the top QBs coming out next year, then 'YES' is the answer.

For all other directions, not only 'NO', but 'AWWW HELL NAW!!!!'  :boooo:  :boooo:  :boooo:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BlueMoshik

I am hoping these are severe growing pains with a new regime that is clearly an upgrade over the previous regime. Think back to the 1980 season, the second year for GM George Young and his head coach Ray Perkins. The Maras had finally been sidelined after the Fumble in 1978. In 1979 they show signs of life, going 6-10 but showcasing a rookie QB named Phil Simms and a very decent defense. In 1980 they went 4-12 after starting 1-3. But in 1981, they go 9-7, make the playoffs and start the road to recovery. This situation is different, but it's possible the Schoen-Daboll regime is going through sophomore blues before the team can blossom. The Maras, for now, are still sidelined, thank god. What I saw last year was very encouraging. This isn't Joe Judge and Dave Gettleman and John Mara making major decisions, no way.

uconnjack8

This game was a good barometer of where this team is at. 

Prior to this game I viewed Seattle in the same tier as the Giants.  I see three teams at the top of the NFC and thought/hoped the Giants would/could be in the next tier. 

Seattle proved me wrong.  If the Giants had lost a close game, I would still have felt they were not in that tier, but now I think its even worse.

Seattle was missing 4 of 5 starting OL and managed to put up 17 pts and have no T/Os.  The Giants offense was missing 1 starter and lost a 2nd during the game.  They managed to put up more points for Seattle than themselves.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 03, 2023, 08:34:22 AMThis game was a good barometer of where this is at. 

Prior to this game I viewed Seattle in the same tier as the Giants.  I see three teams at the top of the NFC and thought/hoped the Giants would/could be in the next tier. 

Seattle proved me wrong.  If the Giants had lost a close game, I would still have felt they were not in that tier, but now I think its even worse.

Seattle was missing 4 of 5 starting OL and managed to put up 17 pts and have no T/Os.  The Giants offense was missing 1 starter and lost a 2nd during the game.  They managed to put up more points for Seattle than themselves.

I broadly agree in terms of how you viewed the game. I thought both teams were fringe WC teams but Seattle are streets ahead of the Giants.

AYM

Quote from: katkavage on October 03, 2023, 08:19:30 AMI will give Daboll another year, regardless. But again, the decision making by management is always suspect here. The problems start at the top. Always. My feeling when there is a big shakeup is not go half way. Tear it down and start over. That meant getting rid of assets like Barkley and Jones to build for the future. And bring in your own people. This patch work approach never works.

I'd agree that Daboll/Schoen would get another year - but be on the hot seat - if they somehow claw their way to a 5-6 win type season.

But the way the team is trending and looking right now, they look worse than they ever did under Reese/Gettleman and if they're in position to draft #1-#2 in the draft, you clean house and let someone new decide what to do.

Rambo89

Quote from: T200 on October 03, 2023, 08:23:17 AMIf the direction is to be in the running for one of the top QBs coming out next year, then 'YES' is the answer.

For all other directions, not only 'NO', but 'AWWW HELL NAW!!!!'  :boooo:  :boooo:  :boooo:

I will scream if the Giants spend another Top 10 pick on a linemen in the draft next season while keeping this QB.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 07:58:55 AMSo what we replace another coach for the five time in less than a decade?

I hope not. but if we keep trotting out an unmotivated, unprepared team week after week, and losing in the worst fashion possible... then yes. everyone is so ready to move on from jones who is ONE player, who is being severely impacted by the other guys around him, but not ready to move on from daboll who's job it is to get those other 10 guys to help jones succeed? i get it, jones has shown this pattern throughout his career, we've seen enough. but we squeaked out a few lucky wins last year. other than that, dabolls tenure has been pretty bad. and its 100% trending in the wrong direction, in a REALLY bad way. i've seen giants teams with worse records that fought way harder. this aint it.

Rambo89

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 09:50:47 AMI hope not. but if we keep trotting out an unmotivated, unprepared team week after week, and losing in the worst fashion possible... then yes. everyone is so ready to move on from jones who is ONE player, who is being severely impacted by the other guys around him, but not ready to move on from daboll who's job it is to get those other 10 guys to help jones succeed? i get it, jones has shown this pattern throughout his career, we've seen enough. but we squeaked out a few lucky wins last year. other than that, dabolls tenure has been pretty bad. and its 100% trending in the wrong direction, in a REALLY bad way. i've seen giants teams with worse records that fought way harder. this aint it.

So you would get rid of the coach but keep the QB that's already gotten 2 Head Coaches fired?

kartanoman

Quote from: BlueMoshik on October 03, 2023, 08:29:06 AMI am hoping these are severe growing pains with a new regime that is clearly an upgrade over the previous regime. Think back to the 1980 season, the second year for GM George Young and his head coach Ray Perkins. The Maras had finally been sidelined after the Fumble in 1978. In 1979 they show signs of life, going 6-10 but showcasing a rookie QB named Phil Simms and a very decent defense. In 1980 they went 4-12 after starting 1-3. But in 1981, they go 9-7, make the playoffs and start the road to recovery. This situation is different, but it's possible the Schoen-Daboll regime is going through sophomore blues before the team can blossom. The Maras, for now, are still sidelined, thank god. What I saw last year was very encouraging. This isn't Joe Judge and Dave Gettleman and John Mara making major decisions, no way.

You are on the right track with this but I was thinking more 1983 than 1980. With the former, the team was still in the "Wilderness Years" before breaking through in '81 with LT and their first playoff win. By '83, Parcells inherited the team from Perkins and learned the hard way not to try and please everyone and to do things his way. I am wondering if Daboll may be experiencing a little of that dilemma himself with his staff as he tried to build on last season's successes.

Something to ponder.

Oeace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 09:52:17 AMSo you would get rid of the coach but keep the QB that's already gotten 2 Head Coaches fired?

id be ready to move on from him as well. hes burnt out and damaged goods at this point. and i disagree that jones got 2 head coaches fired. i feel they failed him more than he failed them.