News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Are the Giants headed in the right direction

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 07:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the Giants headed in the right direction

Rambo89

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 10:02:56 AMid be ready to move on from him as well. hes burnt out and damaged goods at this point. and i disagree that jones got 2 head coaches fired. i feel they failed him more than he failed them.

We're on coach #3 for him and yet we are still looking to get rid of the coach.  Are you noticing a theme here that maybe it's not the coach that is the biggest issue?
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

expatriot

I voted other.  I have said all along Jones is a back up... and even with more... ahem..."weapons" this team would win 5-8 games....given the amount of good luck they had last year in close games, and the significantly harder schedule.  Obviously I was wildly optimistic thinking they could get 8 wins. But take a hard step back from being a fan and look at the REAL top flight talent on this team and it just isn't enough no matter how rosy the glasses you are wearing. No true number 1 receiver, the O line is still a grade a debacle...the D line has one good guy..the LB's suck.  The D back field is a work in progress so we will see.  Jones can only be successful with a legit home run hitting threat at RB. Otherwise he's just not good.  That pick 6 was inexcusable for a 40 mil per year qb. Fumbles?  Come on already. Dolphins and Bills next.  For all you rubber neckers who like to slow down and look at accidents the next two weeks are for you.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 10:15:13 AMWe're on coach #3 for him and yet we are still looking to get rid of the coach.  Are you noticing a theme here that maybe it's not the coach that is the biggest issue?

if every other facet of the team looked any bit competent, then yes. but the WHOLE TEAM is brutally bad. thats on the coach. jones doesnt affect special teams. jones doesnt affect the defense.

jgrangers2

I said "Other". For starters, and I'm a broken record on this, winning 9 games last year kind of screwed up everything. That was a 4-5 win roster that ran an offense of smoke and mirrors and ran into some dumb luck with a weak early schedule. I think if you asked Schoen and Daboll to be honest with you before last season, they would have told you that they'd have expected to be moving on from Daniel Jones after it, but winning 9 games and then a playoff game created a weird situation. They didn't HAVE to resign him, but how do you move on from your starting QB after winning a playoff game on the road?

This was always at least a 3 year rebuild that probably required a new QB. I still have faith in this regime to right the ship but it will take time.

Rambo89

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 11:27:33 AMif every other facet of the team looked any bit competent, then yes. but the WHOLE TEAM is brutally bad. thats on the coach. jones doesnt affect special teams. jones doesnt affect the defense.

Jones's fumble impacted the defense last night to where they had a short field to defend.  Take away that and the pick six and the defense only allowed 10 points.  Those are massive point swings that take a winnable game and turn it into an easy win for the opposition.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 11:36:48 AMJones's fumble impacted the defense last night to where they had a short field to defend.  Take away that and the pick six and the defense only allowed 10 points.  Those are massive point swings that take a winnable game and turn it into an easy win for the opposition.

Fair enough regarding last night. the fumble.. thats on the line. every qb gets sack/fumbled from time to time. the fact he only fumbled once (i think) last night is incredible. yeah he needs to be a little smarter but that happens ALL the time in this league, to every qb. the int was pretty bad.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 11:36:48 AMJones's fumble impacted the defense last night to where they had a short field to defend.  Take away that and the pick six and the defense only allowed 10 points.  Those are massive point swings that take a winnable game and turn it into an easy win for the opposition.

I don't think the defense looked great or dominant in any way, but I totally agree.  They had one really awful play on the blown coverage and then missed tackles to compound it, but they didn't look bad throughout the game.  They gave up 281 yards which isn't bad for the current era.  Would have been great if they could have made a stop after the fumble and held to a FG, but I am not going to kill them for that. 

The reality is the defense could have pitched a shutout last night and they still would have lost 7-3.

jgrangers2

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 11:44:21 AMFair enough regarding last night. the fumble.. thats on the line. every qb gets sack/fumbled from time to time. the fact he only fumbled once (i think) last night is incredible. yeah he needs to be a little smarter but that happens ALL the time in this league, to every qb. the int was pretty bad.

Yeah, I can't blame Jones for the fumble. The Giants ended up running another naked bootleg into a free rusher. Whether that's on a lineman missing their assignment or Jones not recognizing the blitzer, I don't know, but that issue got compounded by the left side of the line being caved in. Jones was rolling out and looking downfield for a receiver, the rusher caught him from behind and knocked the ball out. It happens.

Rambo89

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 11:44:21 AMFair enough regarding last night. the fumble.. thats on the line. every qb gets sack/fumbled from time to time. the fact he only fumbled once (i think) last night is incredible. yeah he needs to be a little smarter but that happens ALL the time in this league, to every qb. the int was pretty bad.

The fumble was on him for once again not feeling when the rush is coming.

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 03, 2023, 11:46:10 AMI don't think the defense looked great or dominant in any way, but I totally agree.  They had one really awful play on the blown coverage and then missed tackles to compound it, but they didn't look bad throughout the game.  They gave up 281 yards which isn't bad for the current era.  Would have been great if they could have made a stop after the fumble and held to a FG, but I am not going to kill them for that. 

The reality is the defense could have pitched a shutout last night and they still would have lost 7-3.

Absolutely defense wasn't dominant but it was good enough to win this game had the offense been somewhat productive.

MightyGiants

I thought it was dishonest for Aikman to act like fumbling was still an issue.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 12:11:08 PMI thought it was dishonest for Aikman to act like fumbling was still an issue.

hes definitely cleaned it up. its not like this happens any more often with him than any other qb at this point.

MightyGiants

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 03, 2023, 03:48:25 PMhes definitely cleaned it up. its not like this happens any more often with him than any other qb at this point.

That's why I thought it was a dishonest talking point at this point in time
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE