News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I fear the Giants are trapped in the cycle of mediocrity

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 10:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 03, 2023, 02:18:33 PMI don't care to be right, I just want the team to win and a rebuild with a new hc, new gm should have been the way.

I think we all want things to go better.   You say you don't care to be right and I believe you, but you have mentioned this in multiple threads.  If being right doesnt matter it may come across better to the room to nor mention that you said they should rebuild earlier and repeat it several times.

LennG

Aikman said last night that the Giants have invested more high draft picks on the OL than any other NFL team in the past few years yet we still have maybe the worst OL in the league. We have reserves as starters and our backups are grocery baggers wearing Giants uniforms. That doesn't say much for our scouts and our GM.

I agree we never should have signed Jones for all that money. He played the hostage game and the Giants gave in. For what we are putting on the field, Taylor could do the same thing and we could have used that money to hopefully build up the line. The Giants should have made an offer that was sensible and held their guns and not cave. That is on Shoen, all the way.

Every few years, we catch some breaks and have a decent enough year, make the playoffs, and people are expecting a Super Bowl run in another year or two. It ain't going to happen.

For those who lived thru the terrible 60's, and 70's, we had some of the worst teams ever put on a football field, but every so often, we won a few games and had a halfway decent year and everyone thought we were out of the rut, but it never happened. Year in and year out we stunk and we are doomed to repeat that same thing now and in the future. Why, do we refuse to see the problem and change it, instead we try to patch it up. It may work once in a while but we enver get it right.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Another thought. We used to draft the BPA regardless, yet that has seriously changed in recent years. Fans clamored for help at WR and Gettleman moved down and we took Toney. On paper, it looked decent enough, but we passed over maybe the best defensive player in years, Parsons. He fell to us and look what he would have done to this defense, but no, everyone said we needed to get our QB help at WR, so Toney was drafted and our fate was sealed. If we had gone BPA, Parsons might be a Giant today. Same as when NO skipped over LT and drafted Rogers and the rest is history.

And, can we finally say Neal is on the threshold of being a bust? How could we get this so wrong?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

6 degrees of separation '22-'23
(In no particular order)

1st: A rookie HC in New York, winning a playoff game and being named Coach of the Year (one of the worst things that could've happened)

2nd: Meddling Mara going public with his sympathy and vote of confidence for DJ, influencing the staff to help him redeem himself.

3rd: Selecting pass rushers on the ends who are light in the pants.

4th: Settling for Bobby Johnson to develop all of those high draft picks they invested in.

5th: God Bless him, I hope he lives for 70 more years, but sticking with McGaughey to lead special teams was wrong PERIOD!

6th: Smart, Tough and Dependable is not a business plan it's a slogan. Parcells and Bellichick had a business plan - Coughlin and Spagnola (when they we'rent being undermined by management) had a business plan.....YOU COULD SEE THEIR IDENTITY ON THE FIELD. - no one has executed a true business plan since.

*I think these guys are capable if they take their collective head out of their AZZ. Build the vision and the identity, those who buy in with their hair on fire and can perform are in, those who can't / won't (no matter where they were drafted) are OUT.*

First a reality check: THIS TEAM IS NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM, STOP PRETENDING AND CONTINUE BUILDING!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 03, 2023, 04:49:46 PMI think we all want things to go better.   You say you don't care to be right and I believe you, but you have mentioned this in multiple threads.  If being right doesnt matter it may come across better to the room to nor mention that you said they should rebuild earlier and repeat it several times.
I brought it up because the title of the thread is cycle of mediocrity. We are in that because we've never rebuilt.

Didn't realize I repeated it in multiple threads other than to say I wanted the rebuild. Hell we could win the rest of our games and be completely wrong, but I was bringing it up to so that we could have a conversation about were things went wrong last year to cause all of this hype and now downfall so far this year into the same mediocrity.