News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants First Drive Open Receivers Missed by Jones

Started by Ed Vette, October 04, 2023, 10:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

He either checked down or bailed the pocket after failing to throw the pass and went to the sidelines for a broken play.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Checking down and bailing on the pocket are the common theme with these missed plays.  After commentary from the 49'ers and Seahawks players after both games it's become obvious to the rest of the league how to play the Giants passing game.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Gmo11

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 04, 2023, 10:06:53 AMChecking down and bailing on the pocket are the common theme with these missed plays.  After commentary from the 49'ers and Seahawks players after both games it's become obvious to the rest of the league how to play the Giants passing game.

Schoen/Daboll didn't pick up the 5th year rookie option because they didn't believe they had a good QB when those guys arrived.  Last year they simplified the offense immensely and Jones was able to have the best season of his career, which admittedly isn't saying all that much, but he showed improvement.  This season...I don't know.  Maybe they tried to open up more things and he can't handle it.  Maybe he's shell shocked from all the OL not blocking.  Regardless he has regressed back to the guy he was when they got here and they are probably both pissed off they didn't trust their own instincts and allowed Jones to fool them into thinking he was trending in the right direction after his first not-awful season.

H-Town G-Fan

This is why I get peeved when people use NextGenStats "SEP" value to say that the Giants receivers aren't open. SEP ONLY reflects the separation "at the time of catch or incompletion." It is not a proxy for how open someone is generally. If Waller or Slayton are running free (or at least have some room) on 10 routes, but get targeted on the 1 where they're closely covered, the SEP value would be low... and extrapolating it out to the non-targeted routes is inappropriate.

In fact, if you look at Daniel Jones's AGG value, which reflects how often he throws to players with a defender within one yard at the time of (in)completion, it is 10.7%, good for 6th lowest in the league (within 2% of Wilson, Smith, Mahomes, Stafford, Goff, Hurts, Prescott, Lawrence). So his rate of targeting receivers that are NOT closely covered (i.e. a defender within a yard) is basically 89.3%.

jgrangers2

That first one is so alarming. Slayton doesn't have a defender within 5 yards of him. How are you not pulling the trigger there? Here's a video of it in case anyone wants to see it in real time:

https://twitter.com/digge546/status/1709561723764523226

Rambo89

The answer is that you aren't looking up field or anticipating and instead always looking for the safety net check down or underneath route.

Trench

His awareness is severely lacking. He doesn't have the ability to process in real time as the game speeds up on him in the moment. It's crystal clear and to deny it is being delusional.

Rambo89

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on October 04, 2023, 11:38:20 AMThis is why I get peeved when people use NextGenStats "SEP" value to say that the Giants receivers aren't open. SEP ONLY reflects the separation "at the time of catch or incompletion." It is not a proxy for how open someone is generally. If Waller or Slayton are running free (or at least have some room) on 10 routes, but get targeted on the 1 where they're closely covered, the SEP value would be low... and extrapolating it out to the non-targeted routes is inappropriate.

In fact, if you look at Daniel Jones's AGG value, which reflects how often he throws to players with a defender within one yard at the time of (in)completion, it is 10.7%, good for 6th lowest in the league (within 2% of Wilson, Smith, Mahomes, Stafford, Goff, Hurts, Prescott, Lawrence). So his rate of targeting receivers that are NOT closely covered (i.e. a defender within a yard) is basically 89.3%.

This is the problem when you use opinion based analytics that don't tell the whole story as a fact.  It's why you have to dig deeper and when you see real live consistent examples of the same thing over and over it shows the flaw in those analytics.

DaveBrown74

Good QBs simply don't fail to see receivers that open with that clear of a line of sight. When a good QB has a bad day, it's almost always because of other factors. You'll never see someone like a Matthew Stafford or Kirk Cousins  fail to see someone that open. They may have a day where their throws are off, but you really don't ever see guys like that having that poor field vision and processing ability.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 04, 2023, 01:22:49 PMGood QBs simply don't fail to see receivers that open with that clear of a line of sight. When a good QB has a bad day, it's almost always because of other factors. You'll never see someone like a Matthew Stafford or Kirk Cousins  fail to see someone that open. They may have a day where their throws are off, but you really don't ever see guys like that having that poor field vision and processing ability.

Absolutely.  That's what bothers me when people say "Well Mahomes and Burrow don't look good without protection either" well... nobody looks great without some protection but on the plays when the protection IS there, or the QB can scramble away to give himself some time, they make those big plays more often than not.  You would be hard pressed to find an example like that where Mahomes simply stares down the checkdown receiver ignoring literally every other player on the field.  Not happening. While he's the best, as you mentioned earlier, even the good but not great QBs like Cousins and Stafford can still accomplish that.  It's only the bad ones that can't.  And right now Jones can't.

PSUBeirut

It's possible we underestimated how important Saquon Barkley is to his QB's comfort level in the pocket.  Have we seen any pass blocking grades from Breida/Brightwell, etc.? 

Rambo89

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 04, 2023, 01:48:36 PMIt's possible we underestimated how important Saquon Barkley is to his QB's comfort level in the pocket.  Have we seen any pass blocking grades from Breida/Brightwell, etc.? 

I'm not sure how important Barkley is from a blocking standpoint.  But all you have to do is look at Jones's career numbers in terms of wins and production in the games Barkley plays vs the games he doesn't and you'll see it's like night and day.

SUPERSEE

Guys .. Jones is NOT that guy. I was really hoping the team and he would've learned from last year but alas, our QB1 should be QB gone sooner than later. I am against a rookie stepping in .. in more favor of a vet replacing Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk