News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Second and Subsequent Drives Open Receivers

Started by Ed Vette, October 04, 2023, 10:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

The "nobody is ever open" theme is a suspect-at-best, if not downright false, narrative that gets put out there way more than it should, in my opinion. Time after time we have seen that excuse initially made for a less than ideal Jones performance, only to have all the film come out later in the week that completely debunks it. This has happened more times than I can remember, not just in this week's game.

Also, the fact that people snap-react and make this claim in the game thread in real time during the game, when they can't possibly know that with just the regular telecast unless they show it on the replay, pretty much proves that it's deliberately being made up at the time. Which in turn proves that there is an underlying agenda people have, and they are willing to make fictitious claims to support it.

Finally, the definition of "open" in the NFL is not only being wide open with nobody near you. I get the sense that some think that's the only definition of "open." That is, in fact, the definition of "wide open", not "open." NFL QBs throw at, and complete passes to, receivers who have one or two (or more) defenders on them all the time. It's not just a binary game of pitch-and-catch or bust. So I think this difference in definition of the word gets obscured a lot. Jones tends to hold the ball in situations where other QBs might take a shot. Naturally that leads to more sacks (or throwaways), and people call them coverage sacks. People can obviously think whatever they want, but the "nobody is ever open" narrative is grossly exaggerated at best in my opinion.

Ed Vette

Quote from: files58 on October 04, 2023, 11:29:27 AMUnless Jones does a 180 I think Daboll now knows the limit of what he has at QB. You could tell by the look of frustration(several times) on Daboll's face he requires/expects Jones to read open receivers and get them the ball. Jones just doesn't have the fearless element good to great QB's must have. Yes he can run and take a hit. His main job is to get the ball to open receivers. It's one thing to make the right read/throw and miss due to being rushed. It's a whole different thing not making the right read. As it stands now there will be a new QB under center next season.
Daboll and Schoen knew what they had in him and they still stuck with him and gave him a $40 MM contract. If they knew this they should have tagged Jones and negotiated with Barkley. As it is they overpaid SB. I don't know if this team can win another game until the Bye week. They could be looking at a first pick in the draft and a QB controversy. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 04, 2023, 12:22:01 PMThe "nobody is ever open" theme is a suspect-at-best, if not downright false, narrative that gets put out there way more than it should, in my opinion. Time after time we have seen that excuse initially made for a less than ideal Jones performance, only to have all the film come out later in the week that completely debunks it. This has happened more times than I can remember, not just in this week's game.

Also, the fact that people snap-react and make this claim in the game thread in real time during the game, when they can't possibly know that with just the regular telecast unless they show it on the replay, pretty much proves that it's deliberately being made up at the time. Which in turn proves that there is an underlying agenda people have, and they are willing to make fictitious claims to support it.

Finally, the definition of "open" in the NFL is not only being wide open with nobody near you. I get the sense that some think that's the only definition of "open." That is, in fact, the definition of "wide open", not "open." NFL QBs throw at, and complete passes to, receivers who have one or two (or more) defenders on them all the time. It's not just a binary game of pitch-and-catch or bust. So I think this difference in definition of the word gets obscured a lot. Jones tends to hold the ball in situations where other QBs might take a shot. Naturally that leads to more sacks (or throwaways), and people call them coverage sacks. People can obviously think whatever they want, but the "nobody is ever open" narrative is grossly exaggerated at best in my opinion.

Bottom line as we see in the game tape there are receivers that are NFL open that are being missed.  They aren't ACC open and the expectation can't be that players are open like that in the NFL.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 04, 2023, 12:23:04 PMDaboll and Schoen knew what they had in him and they still stuck with him and gave him a $40 MM contract. If they knew this they should have tagged Jones and negotiated with Barkley. As it is they overpaid SB. I don't know if this team can win another game until the Bye week. They could be looking at a first pick in the draft and a QB controversy. 

QB controversy is here, regardless of who plays behind Jones. The questions about him will dominate the cycle until he plays well (and even then that might only briefly quell the noise). But above-average play seems a remote possibility given the state of the line and Jones's own present shortcomings. So I think this is what we'll be hearing a lot of in the coming weeks.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 04, 2023, 12:22:01 PMThe "nobody is ever open" theme is a suspect-at-best, if not downright false, narrative that gets put out there way more than it should, in my opinion. Time after time we have seen that excuse initially made for a less than ideal Jones performance, only to have all the film come out later in the week that completely debunks it. This has happened more times than I can remember, not just in this week's game.

People that make those claims in a game thread are absolutely full of $hit. The only way to determine that is by watching the All-22, like I did here.

Slayton this season has 2.1 yards of separation in his receptions with 13.2 targeted air yards. Anything less than that and DJ isn't throwing to him.

Waller 2.8 Sep with 8 TAY.

Campbell 3.7 Sep with 3.8 TAY.

It's plain to see he goes to the check down who is wide open instead of anticipating or releasing to a target like Waller who will fight for the ball against smaller men. The problem there is that the Defenders are running to the ball on Campbell.  He doesn't trust his arm strength when he sees them or he just ignores the majority of the field.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on October 04, 2023, 12:30:25 PMQB controversy is here, regardless of who plays behind Jones. The questions about him will dominate the cycle until he plays well (and even then that might only briefly quell the noise). But above-average play seems a remote possibility given the state of the line and Jones's own present shortcomings. So I think this is what we'll be hearing a lot of in the coming weeks.
Maybe in the next weeks but except for this forum, nobody was looking at Jones as part of the problem. Not the fans on Twitter, not the Beat Writers, and not the Pod Casters. They all supported Jones and blamed the O-Line and Receivers. We even highlighted the play calling and preparation and nobody else did.

Even now, I see more press about the O-Line after this game.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin