News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Second and Subsequent Drives Open Receivers

Started by Ed Vette, October 04, 2023, 10:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Instead ran for a 1st down.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Clean pocket and rushed pass to check down for an incompletion instead of leading two open deep receivers..
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Both drives demonstrate the false narrative that Receivers weren't getting open. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Third Drive- Saw Blitz coming behind WDR and failed to pass to Robinson or lead Slayton who he never saw on a crossing route. Fumble that led to a short-field TD for the Seahawks. Which btw was a reception given up by Banks who fell asleep on the play.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 04, 2023, 10:23:42 AMBoth drives demonstrate the false narrative that Receivers weren't getting open. 

And demonstrate the same predictable reactions from the QB
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 04, 2023, 10:37:06 AMSaw Blitz coming behind WDR and failed to pass to Robinson or lead Slayton who he never saw on a crossing route. Fumble that led to a short-field TD for the Seahawks. Which btw was a reception given up by Banks who fell asleep on the play.

On this play Dan Orlovsky broke down that at the LOS Jones should have seen the Seattle formation and either audibled out of the play, adjusted the line or as you said dump it off quickly.

Ed Vette

4th drive- Clean pocket but instead of throwing to an open Waller or Hyatt, he bailed the pocket and if he stayed, Slayton was also open downfield. Instead, he ran to the sidelines (he can't throw for xxxx on the run) and threw the pass away.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EDjohnst1981

Thanks for the work on this, Ed. Interesting stuff.

Ed Vette

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 04, 2023, 10:56:57 AMThanks for the work on this, Ed. Interesting stuff.
I don't understand why Jones doesn't have a switch go off in his head to throw the ball. He hesitates and it kills the play for what could have been some nice completions. I'm sorry to say, that I actually think he's broken. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of confidence in Tyrod Taylor either.

Pat Shurmur had him pegged. Design one read plays. But even now the skinny on him is he bird dogs the Receiver. I actually think it would benefit him to sit a couple of games to gain some perspective. It worked out well for Josh Allen. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 04, 2023, 11:06:13 AMI don't understand why Jones doesn't have a switch go off in his head to throw the ball. He hesitates and it kills the play for what could have been some nice completions. I'm sorry to say, that I actually think he's broken. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of confidence in Tyrod Taylor either.

Pat Shurmur had him pegged. Design one read plays. But even now the skinny on him is he bird dogs the Receiver. I actually think it would benefit him to sit a couple of games to gain some perspective. It worked out well for Josh Allen. 

It's a lack of instincts and awareness.  It's why Daboll/Kafka simplified the offense last season to easy one read plays that didn't require him to adjust on the fly.  The problem with that is after a season there is enough tape on the offense to figure out what Jones's one read is going to be and what he's going to do on any one play.

If we were talking about a first or second year QB I would agree that sitting him would be beneficial but this is a 5th year QB on his second contract.  The only reason you would sit him is to see which issues the offense is having are a matter of him not picking up on things.  Beyond that I don't believe it would make a difference.  This is who he is.  Only thing you can do is build a team around him to prop him up which now that you've paid him with his cap hit becomes that much more difficult.

Rambo89

files58

Unless Jones does a 180 I think Daboll now knows the limit of what he has at QB. You could tell by the look of frustration(several times) on Daboll's face he requires/expects Jones to read open receivers and get them the ball. Jones just doesn't have the fearless element good to great QB's must have. Yes he can run and take a hit. His main job is to get the ball to open receivers. It's one thing to make the right read/throw and miss due to being rushed. It's a whole different thing not making the right read. As it stands now there will be a new QB under center next season.