News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Knee Jerk Fire Daboll Thread

Started by Messiah717, October 08, 2023, 03:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 08, 2023, 04:28:44 PMDaboll should be back next season regardless....but I do think there should be a shake up to his coaching staff.

Agreed.
The KING is in the building

Rambo89

Quote from: Messiah717 on October 08, 2023, 04:31:50 PMI do believe Daboll will be back but I don't like what I've seen here.  There's regression and then there's this.

This is fair
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AYM

I'm not ready to fire Daboll yet, but he's trending badly and he hasn't done anything that would make me want to keep him (or Schoen).

If we bottom out and we're in position to draft one of those hyped QBs, then Daboll has to go along with Schoen.

As far as the playoff run goes, I think a more accurate stat for him at this point is that he's 5-11-1 since a 6-1 start.

Rambo89

Quote from: AYM on October 08, 2023, 06:55:47 PMI'm not ready to fire Daboll yet, but he's trending badly and he hasn't done anything that would make me want to keep him (or Schoen).

If we bottom out and we're in position to draft one of those hyped QBs, then Daboll has to go along with Schoen.

As far as the playoff run goes, I think a more accurate stat for him at this point is that he's 5-11-1 since a 6-1 start.

Shouldn't this regime get the opportunity to draft their own QB and not get fired along with the two previous coaches and GM with Jones as their QB?

AYM

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 08, 2023, 06:59:39 PMShouldn't this regime get the opportunity to draft their own QB and not get fired along with the two previous coaches and GM with Jones as their QB?

This regime already had their chance, and they picked Jones as their QB. If we collapse and end up, say, 1-16, then no. That would mean that they made Gettleman's team even worse (while hanging on to Gettleman's scouts) and they need to go.

And yeah, Jones would go with them at that point.

EDjohnst1981

At 5-11-1 over the last 17 games somethings gotta give.

I doubt it's Dabs or the GM. But something will give.

LennG

Come on guys, we are all football people here, AND we know how Giant management works. There is simply, absolutely, no way in any hell that Dabill gets fired after this year, even if we go 1-15 (which we won't).
The Giants are embarrassed enough going thru coaches every couple of years. Daboll was coach of the year and everyone, and I do mean everyone had him secure in his job. He has to learn how to stop the losing and as a 1st time HC that is the hard part when things spiral out of control. He is learning on the job. it's easy when the team is winning, but when the wheels start coming off, well, that's when he needs to earn his money. He will be back next year no matter how the Giants finish.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Rambo89

Quote from: AYM on October 08, 2023, 07:05:50 PMThis regime already had their chance, and they picked Jones as their QB. If we collapse and end up, say, 1-16, then no. That would mean that they made Gettleman's team even worse (while hanging on to Gettleman's scouts) and they need to go.

And yeah, Jones would go with them at that point.

We don't know if they were fully on board with Jones coming off last season with Mara's love of Jones their hands may have been tied

AYM

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 08, 2023, 07:52:20 PMWe don't know if they were fully on board with Jones coming off last season with Mara's love of Jones their hands may have been tied

We know most of the Gettleman scouts are still on board; if Mara is making calls like that, then we have bigger problems.

Giggles

Schoen and Daboll gets another year and we'll see where they are at. They should get a chance to draft their own QB.

LennG

Quote from: Giggles on October 08, 2023, 08:32:57 PMSchoen and Daboll gets another year and we'll see where they are at. They should get a chance to draft their own QB.

Welcome and I fully agree
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jgrangers2

Quote from: Messiah717 on October 08, 2023, 04:31:50 PMI do believe Daboll will be back but I don't like what I've seen here.  There's regression and then there's this.

It's not regression as much as it is that this team, especially offensively, is very limited in what it can do. At full strength, they have a weak O-line. Without Thomas and JMS it's downright horrendous and limits what your offense can do. It's very difficult to build an offense when the defense knows your line can't hold up and you can't really take many deep shots. They drafted Jalin Hyatt to add an additional element to the offense, but it doesn't matter if the QB doesn't have time to take advantage of that skill.

It's just a bad situation and Daboll deserves an opportunity with a better roster.

Jclayton92

Quote from: AYM on October 08, 2023, 08:26:57 PMWe know most of the Gettleman scouts are still on board; if Mara is making calls like that, then we have bigger problems.
They replaced a good portion of scouts this past offseason. Schoen has his guys in there now, just not his medical or training staff.

katkavage

I don't want to fire Daboll but he is making the case for it. If Macadoo can get fired after a playoff year, so can Daboll.  The play this year has been atrocious. The team is poorly prepared, the play calling suspect, and mistakes are too common. All reflects on the coaching.

BlueMoshik

McAdoo got fired as much for his benching of Eli as for the 2-10 record the Giants had at the time.

Daboll and Schoen will be here next year, but if things continue this way, I expect the team to have a new rookie QB.

I am actually a Jones fan. But I don't believe you can come back from being hit so much in one season. Better QBs than him have had their careers ruined because of that.