News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I thought Gray looked pretty good in 1st real chance

Started by BluesCruz, October 14, 2023, 09:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Id say he falls somewhere in the Barry Sanders family of RB styles.  Low to ground, ellusive and capable of breaking tackles by spinning out of the grasp of defenders. 

He would benefit from a bit more leg strength but that can be remedied in the weight room as did Tiki who eventually was doing 1000lb leg presses and squats.  Have no idea where Grey compares to Tiki leg strength which was off the charts.
Tiki wasnt a speed demon nor is Grey but both fast enough.

Given the state of our Oline and the fact it was his 1st real chance to get in some field time, he looked very promising IMHO.

Could be we have found a reasonable candidate to replace Barkley down the road.  Hopefully he will have better pass catching skills than Saquon.  In the case of both players, the QB needs to lead them better on pass routes.  Jones has a tendency to throw a lot of passes behind the targets.  That too needs to be worked on.

I dont expect TT to last very long on Sunday, he takes too many hits.   Looking forward to see what this DeVito kid can do.  A local guy here in NJ.

Grey was one of the few bright spots I saw in the last game.  He, Pinnock and Okereke all caught my eye.
I was beginning to give up on Okereke but he finally showed up.  Msybe he needed some time to aclimate
to Winks defense. 

The Giants have a lot of new moving parts from last season.  Hopefully Okereke's rise will be echoed throughout the team.  One can hope

I think the Giants arrow is beginning to point up after hitting rock bottom in NFL power ratings
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

You do realize
A) his name is Eric Gray with the letter A not E.

B) He only had 25 yards, on 12 carries... he legitimately averaged 2.1 yards a carry.

C) also not very sure were you got that he was elusive. The guy runs a 4.56 forty with a 6.5 RAS score.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 14, 2023, 09:49:26 PMYou do realize

B) He only had 25 yards, on 12 carries... he legitimately averaged 2.1 yards a carry.

C) also not very sure were you got that he was elusive. The guy runs a 4.56 forty with a 6.5 RAS score.

Thanks I fixed the name.  As for the yardage. I agree.

My point is he looked promising.  I like his running style.  With a good oline opening holes and a bit more time in the weight room he may be a great find

Remember it was his 1st real game chance.  He can build on that.  If I were Schoen I would deal Saquon while he still has value.

The Giants should go to the RB rotation most other NFL teams use these days

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 14, 2023, 09:49:26 PMYou do realize

I'm with you. Promising???  Hmmm.

He's a one cut back.  The anti-Barry Sanders in running style.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on October 14, 2023, 10:44:34 PMI'm with you. Promising???  Hmmm.

Sometimes I think he types this stuff and is laughing his ass off as he hits send. Barry Sanders 🤣
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 15, 2023, 08:45:20 AMSometimes I think he types this stuff and is laughing his ass off as he hits send. Barry Sanders 🤣

Agreed. Clear trolling to liken Eric Gray to Barry Sanders. About as obvious as it gets. I've stopped rising to the bait.

Trench

Barry Sanders I think was tongue in cheek.

But I agree Gray ran hard and made good cuts. Reminds me of Bradshaw

Ed Vette

He apparently pleased the Coaching Staff to move him up the depth chart with his ability to block in pass pro.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: Philosophers on October 14, 2023, 10:44:34 PMI'm with you. Promising???  Hmmm.

One Cut??  where is that coming from?  You only get one cut before you're in the scrum

as Denver Coach Mike Shanahan used to say- We will open 2 holes for you
choose one and go through it......or you will be benched

Many of our backs in the past have danced- unable to make their minds up.  This kid does not seem to have that issue

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 15, 2023, 08:45:20 AMSometimes I think he types this stuff and is laughing his ass off as he hits send. Barry Sanders 🤣

I think you mis-read my intention Ed

All that spinning was a trait of Barry's plus both guys are low to the ground

I never said he had Barry Sanders potential, just his general style

We are very quick to dismiss non Barkley RBs.  I see potential in Gray, and I think Daboll does too.
He gave him a lot of field time last week

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on October 15, 2023, 11:30:21 AMI think you mis-read my intention Ed

We are very quick to dismiss non Barkley RBs.  I see potential in Gray, and I think Daboll does too.

Gray is a one cut RB. Not even remotely close to Sanders style.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

I think I'm spinning after reading this thread. I was thinking Joe Morris myself.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on October 15, 2023, 01:13:23 PMI think I'm spinning after reading this thread. I was thinking Joe Morris myself.

Peace!

And Gary Brightwell is the second coming of Eric Dickerson.

BluesCruz

Quote from: BluesCruz on October 15, 2023, 11:30:21 AMI think you mis-read my intention Ed

thats not my impression

he was drafted as an open field runner with the ability to make ankle breaking cuts

Where did you get the "one cut" info from?

Have you seen his highlight reel?

Gray was a very dangerous RB in college....the only knock on him was he did not have track type speed

we have 3-4 pretty good RBs IMHO
the problem is when Barkley is available they never spell him, and he often fades in the second half (or gets injured)

Daboll has not proven to be an offensive juggernaut playcaller.  He is way too conservative