News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I thought Gray looked pretty good in 1st real chance

Started by BluesCruz, October 14, 2023, 09:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on October 15, 2023, 01:59:04 PMthats not my impression

he was drafted as an open field runner with the ability to make ankle breaking cuts

Where did you get the "one cut" info from?

Have you seen his highlight reel?

Gray was a very dangerous RB in college....the only knock on him was he did not have track type speed

we have 3-4 pretty good RBs IMHO
the problem is when Barkley is available they never spell him, and he often fades in the second half (or gets injured)

Daboll has not proven to be an offensive juggernaut playcaller.  He is way too conservative

Daboll uses the tools he has. He was hardly conservative in Buffalo.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 02:06:55 PMDaboll uses the tools he has. He was hardly conservative in Buffalo.

as we play all these teams with pre-snap motion, pitchout reverses, etc
Our offense looks like an antique
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

The biggest issue we have on offense is the lack of proven talent. Our only proven good players on that side of the ball are Barkley and Thomas, both of whom have missed meaningful time. Everyone else is either not very good or, at least, has never proven that they are. So it's hard for me to blame Daboll. The guy is a respected play caller and play designer.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 02:14:43 PMThe biggest issue we have on offense is the lack of proven talent. Our only proven good players on that side of the ball are Barkley and Thomas, both of whom have missed meaningful time. Everyone else is either not very good or, at least, has never proven that they are. So it's hard for me to blame Daboll. The guy is a respected play caller and play designer.

no excuses please...my eyes tell me different....the Giants play scared

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 02:14:43 PMThe biggest issue we have on offense is the lack of proven talent. Our only proven good players on that side of the ball are Barkley and Thomas, both of whom have missed meaningful time. Everyone else is either not very good or, at least, has never proven that they are. So it's hard for me to blame Daboll. The guy is a respected play caller and play designer.

I see a limited playbook and pace of play.  If he changes pace of play, it's to run the same 1-2 plays.

He and Kafka are not using the entire playbook. 

Also why are checkdown WRs not running routes at the first down marker but instead are only 4-5 yards out?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on October 15, 2023, 02:17:25 PMno excuses please...my eyes tell me different....the Giants play scared

Noting that we don't have enough talent is not excuse-making. That is reality. Putting it all on the playcalling is making excuses.

Ed Vette

The biggest knock on Gray is that he struggles with the initial level. He had holes you could drive a truck through at OK.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

According to Pro Football Focus, Gray posted a phenomenal 90.6 grade in 2022 after grading out at 76.4 in 2021 and 77.8 as a sophomore at Tennessee in 2020.

He also posted an 83.2 grade as a receiver in 2022 after grading out at 79.2 in 2021 and 81.3 in 2020, and led all Big 12 Conference runners with 44 carries of at least 10 yards.

Gray said at his pro day in late March that he would continue to incorporate a variety of styles in his own game.

"I watched a lot of guys, going all the way back to Gale Sayers," Gray said. "I've watched him play. I've watched Walter Payton and how tough he runs. Emmitt Smith and the way he can bounce off tackles. Barry Sanders and his speed and elusiveness.

"Coming out of Tennessee, I got a lot of Alvin Kamara comparisons. Looking at his game, you look at how he can manipulate a defense coming out of the backfield. So I try to steal something from everyone's game and put it into mine."

I like this kid

DaveBrown74

So far Gray has 25 rushing yards on 12 carries and 1 catch for 1 receiving yard. Obviously, that's not a meaningful sample. I look forward to seeing him continue to battle for more opportunities in this offense. As of yet, he has not stood out in any way.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 07:03:27 PMSo far Gray has 25 rushing yards on 12 carries and 1 catch for 1 receiving yard. Obviously, that's not a meaningful sample. I look forward to seeing him continue to battle for more opportunities in this offense. As of yet, he has not stood out in any way.

Stat wise I agree. But my eyes have been relatively happy with him only because of the way he runs, hits a hole without hesitation and it appears he is a fighting back. I could be wrong. But what I see I do like

uconnjack8

True Blue

Quote from: BluesCruz on October 15, 2023, 06:50:45 PMAccording to Pro Football Focus, Gray posted a phenomenal 90.6 grade in 2022 after grading out at 76.4 in 2021 and 77.8 as a sophomore at Tennessee in 2020.

He also posted an 83.2 grade as a receiver in 2022 after grading out at 79.2 in 2021 and 81.3 in 2020, and led all Big 12 Conference runners with 44 carries of at least 10 yards.

Gray said at his pro day in late March that he would continue to incorporate a variety of styles in his own game.

"I watched a lot of guys, going all the way back to Gale Sayers," Gray said. "I've watched him play. I've watched Walter Payton and how tough he runs. Emmitt Smith and the way he can bounce off tackles. Barry Sanders and his speed and elusiveness.

"Coming out of Tennessee, I got a lot of Alvin Kamara comparisons. Looking at his game, you look at how he can manipulate a defense coming out of the backfield. So I try to steal something from everyone's game and put it into mine."

I like this kid

College PFF? Lol

Philosophers

Gray ran for 1 yard for a first down.  First ballot HOFer.   =))

True Blue

Quote from: Philosophers on October 15, 2023, 10:00:31 PMGray ran for 1 yard for a first down.  First ballot HOFer.   =))

The Barry Sanders comparison is uncanny

Philosophers

Quote from: True Blue on October 15, 2023, 10:12:14 PMThe Barry Sanders comparison is uncanny

Yeah I must have missed his lateral cut then spin.