News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Holding out hope

Started by Leek21, October 17, 2023, 09:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leek21

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the season, and even at 1-5 I think there is still a small chance of making it to the playoffs as the last wildcard spot.  That makes this weeks game against the Commanders a must win. Lose this game and I think the season is over with respect to making the playoffs.  Win this game and the glimmer of hope stays alive.

I am optimistic because the defense is playing better; just need the offense to start clicking.

Who is with me ?

Ed Vette

I'm taking the Giants this week. If they lose this game, I don't see them winning against any team except the Pats.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

How's the survivor league looking?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 17, 2023, 09:49:39 AMI'm taking the Giants this week. If they lose this game, I don't see them winning against any team except the Pats.

Ed: This season has been brutal for injuries all around (although as usual Giants are close to leading the pack).

Like Leek, I still have hope.  Had we beaten Buffalo it would have negated the loss to Seattle, so that was huge.

With the brunt of division games at the end of the schedule, who knows which teams will be "hurting" then. Maybe by then the Giants will be relatively healthy, while our opponents will be on the wrong side of the issue. You never know. To my knowledge we haven't yet lost any key personnel to a season-ending injury (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Giants are ao far close from "clicking."

Their OL is collapsing in every pass play.

Nobody "injured" is playing through the pain.

Playcalling has lost any semblance of creativity.

We have a starting QB who does not look downfield consistently.

Our defense cannot tackle consistently.

Worst of all is nobody is playing better this year versus last year.

We are a 2-3 win team this season.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on October 17, 2023, 02:13:14 PMWe are a 2-3 win team this season.

At this point I would prefer that to a 6-11 season, because either way the season is over, and I want us having options come next spring.

At 1-5 we should already be starting the process of trying to trade vets who are not part of the long term plans.

Messiah717

They're lucky to have the win they have.  They have scored 71 points on the season and don't have an offensive TD in three games.  It's so bad that with any sign of a pulse we all celebrate what most teams do rather easily every week.

B1GBLUE

We gotta get better at some point. we are (sort of) getting healthy at the right time. we went 6-1 at one point last year. we do that again, were 7-6 with a decent shot at playoffs. i dont think its likely. but its not impossible. defense is starting to come together. once we get schmitz and thomas back, with the infusion and veteran presence of pugh, and if glowinski can build on the good game we had, we might have an average oline. sometimes you just have to have that "ah" moment and everything clicks. crazier things have happened. but again, not likely.

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on October 17, 2023, 10:19:35 AMHow's the survivor league looking?

10 teams left
8 are down to their final strike
14 teams have been eliminated.
I was strike 2 after 3 weeks  :(
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

When they literally cannot score a TD on offense they are far from winning multiple games.

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on October 17, 2023, 04:56:44 PM10 teams left
8 are down to their final strike
14 teams have been eliminated.
I was strike 2 after 3 weeks  :(
TD: Yes, winning the Bills game would have negated the loss to Seattle and kept us in the hunt. Now, we're dangling by a very thin thread. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

There are currently 5 teams at 1-5 and one at 0-6.  The Giants have a points differential (i.e. difference between points scored vs allowed) of -96.  The next worse are the Pats at -80.  The others are more like -50.

Giants can't score (worst) and are somewhat giving up too many points.  Many of the mock drafts have the Bears forecasted to be the worst (along with the pick from the Panthers) but it looks to me like it may be the Pats and Giants and Panthers vying to be the worst NFL team.

Caleb Williams or any other draft prospect may not be out of reach for the lowly Gmen.

EDjohnst1981

Panthers have just drafted a QB. So I'm sure they would be willing to trade a few slots back.

However, there will be a number of teams interested and that will ramp up the price.

Philosophers

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 18, 2023, 12:10:01 PMPanthers have just drafted a QB. So I'm sure they would be willing to trade a few slots back.

However, there will be a number of teams interested and that will ramp up the price.

Bears have the Panther's pick along with their own.  I think the Bears will outperform the Giants so Giants may be closer to 1st pick.  Also even though the Panthers are 0-6, they are scoring more points than the Giants so they may end up with a better record making their pick the Bears have be behind the Goants pick.

EDjohnst1981