News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Toomer Assessment of Tyrod vs Jones

Started by Trench, October 17, 2023, 04:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 17, 2023, 10:23:51 PMInteresting how Justin Pugh was praised for his efforts coming off of the couch and he did well considering but gave up two sacks and false starts yet... Tyrod Taylor's first start in two years and the critics come out that he didn't play well enough and blame him for the loss for calling an audible.

He played well for four quarters and thats twice as many quarters than Daniel Jones has played in five games this year.
Just wanted to quote this and give folks another opportunity to read it.

Excellent observation 👌🏾
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Since @T200 and @Ed Vette are taking the one extreme, I am going offer up a counterpoint for balance

I find it interesting that the same people who hold Daniel Jones to an impossibly high standard dropped that bar to the ground for Tyrod Taylor.  If Jones had scored just 9 points, made a huge mistake that cost the team the game, and failed to score twice while snapping the ball from the 1-yard line, there would be thread after thread calling for him to be benched. 

Taylor didn't LOOK bad, but his RESULTS were no better than and arguably worse than Jones.  How many games will a team win scoring just 9 points especially when the defense gives the offense 2 turnovers?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 08:24:22 AMSince @T200 and @Ed Vette are taking the one extreme, I am going offer up a counterpoint for balance

I find it interesting that the same people who hold Daniel Jones to an impossibly high standard dropped that bar to the ground for Tyrod Taylor.  If Jones had scored just 9 points, made a huge mistake that cost the team the game, and failed to score twice while snapping the ball from the 1-yard line, there would be thread after thread calling for him to be benched. 

Taylor didn't LOOK bad, but his RESULTS were no better than and arguably worse than Jones.  How many games will a team win scoring just 9 points especially when the defense gives the offense 2 turnovers?
First, saying it's "one extreme" is a gross mischaracterization of what was said.

Another mischaracterization is saying people hold Jones to "an impossibly high standard."

No one absolved Tyrod of his bone-headed decision at the end of the first half. And had it not been for inept refs at the end of the game, it's a very good chance the Giants win, meaning Tyrod led them on a game-winning drive at the end, on the road in a hostile environment.

Former.players, analysts, and fans who watched the game have said that the offense looked more effective with Taylor under center. At a fraction of the cost. Neither QB has thrown a TD pass or engineered a TD drive through 6 drives. They are equal in that regard, I'm sure you would agree.

What's more palatable: a QB who can't put it in the end zone for 5.5 million or 40 million?

Edit to add/ask: what's the "impossibly high standard" you speak of?

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 18, 2023, 08:34:59 AMFirst, saying it's "one extreme" is a gross mischaracterization of what was said.

Another mischaracterization is saying people hold Jones to "an impossibly high standard."

No one absolved Tyrod of his bone-headed decision at the end of the first half. And had it not been for inept refs at the end of the game, it's a very good chance the Giants win, meaning Tyrod led them on a game-winning drive at the end, on the road in a hostile environment.

Former.players, analysts, and fans who watched the game have said that the offense looked more effective with Taylor under center. At a fraction of the cost. Neither QB has thrown a TD pass or engineered a TD drive through 6 drives. They are equal in that regard, I'm sure you would agree.

What's more palatable: a QB who can't put it in the end zone for 5.5 million or 40 million?

Edit to add/ask: what's the "impossibly high standard" you speak of?

Tim,

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am certainly entitled to mine.  You needed to call out Tyrod's critics, so I felt it was only fair to provide the counterpoint so people feel comfortable that both sides have a voice.

I wasn't planning on even posting what I did (I had thought about it, but decided against it), but when people critical of Taylor's performance were called out, I felt the need to balance things out.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 08:24:22 AMSince @T200 and @Ed Vette are taking the one extreme, I am going offer up a counterpoint for balance

Taylor didn't LOOK bad,

but his RESULTS were no better than and arguably worse than Jones.  How many games will a team win scoring just 9 points especially when the defense gives the offense 2 turnovers?

The bar was not dropped, and some of this is twisting what has been discussed.

The offense functioned a bit better int he sense TT wasn't under as much duress and had time to get the ball our or downfield no one said production was there this week.

Point is it has been no better and no worse than anything Jones has done for the majority of the season.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 09:13:18 AMTim,

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am certainly entitled to mine.  You needed to call out Tyrod's critics, so I felt it was only fair to provide the counterpoint so people feel comfortable that both sides have a voice.

I wasn't planning on even posting what I did (I had thought about it, but decided against it), but when people critical of Taylor's performance were called out, I felt the need to balance things out.
Rich,

I posed two questions to you. Do you care to answer them or are we just moving on?

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 18, 2023, 09:20:15 AMRich,

I posed two questions to you. Do you care to answer them or are we just moving on?

I will address the two questions. 

Show me another post where a player's performance was being judged by their pay.

Show me a thread where someone posted a picture downfield on an incompletion pointing out who appeared open, but T2 didn't throw to.   Now, it's possible T2 was perfect and didn't miss a single open receiver (although he did underthrow Hyatt pretty badly on one play, as mentioned in the video), but it seems unlikely.  What seems more likely is the never miss an apparently open receiver is a standard reserved for only judging Daniel Jones.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 09:44:57 AMI will address the two questions. 

Show me another post where a player's performance was being judged by their pay.

Show me a thread where someone posted a picture downfield on an incompletion pointing out who appeared open, but T2 didn't throw to.   Now, it's possible T2 was perfect and didn't miss a single open receiver (although he did underthrow Hyatt pretty badly on one play, as mentioned in the video), but it seems unlikely.  What seems more likely is the never miss an apparently open receiver is a standard reserved for only judging Daniel Jones.
OK... you don't want to answer and I'm not going to press. Moving on.

expatriot

lets not forget that in two games Jones had zero and 3 points.  Tyrod did well coming off the bench and getting 9 that's about normal for the Giants  /sarcasm/

MightyGiants

Quote from: expatriot on October 18, 2023, 10:01:30 AMlets not forget that in two games Jones had zero and 3 points.  Tyrod did well coming off the bench and getting 9 that's about normal for the Giants  /sarcasm/

Should Jones scoring 31 points against the Cards count?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 10:04:09 AMShould Jones scoring 31 points against the Cards count?
It does. No one is suggesting that it doesn't or shouldn't. But... it's still one game.

In others, as pointed out. Zero points in two games, 3 in another.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 18, 2023, 10:12:51 AMIt does. No one is suggesting that it doesn't or shouldn't. But... it's still one game.

In others, as pointed out. Zero points in two games, 3 in another.

Tim, why cite the score of only two games rather than all of them?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 10:17:27 AMTim, why cite the score of only two games rather than all of them?
Why cite the score of the one game he was actually productive and not the four others?

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 18, 2023, 10:18:36 AMWhy cite the score of the one game he was actually productive and not the four others?

I didn't suggest only citing one, I was responding to a citation of just 2 games by pointing out one of the games left out.  I think all of the games should be cited.  Why are you challenging that?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 10:21:04 AMI didn't suggest only citing one, I was responding to a citation of just 2 games by pointing out one of the games left out.  I think all of the games should be cited.  Why are you challenging that?

You only asked about one game:

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 10:04:09 AMShould Jones scoring 31 points against the Cards count?