News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Colts QB Richardson to have season ending surgery

Started by MightyGiants, October 18, 2023, 11:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Rick

perhaps a cautionary tale for those so eager to dump DJ and draft the next new shiny rookie toy in the '24 draft.  No way to tell who's going to be hurt/playing, regardless of their potential.   Really too bad for Richardson.  He's fun to watch.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: President Rick on October 18, 2023, 12:18:42 PMperhaps a cautionary tale for those so eager to dump DJ and draft the next new shiny rookie toy in the '24 draft.  No way to tell who's going to be hurt/playing, regardless of their potential.   Really too bad for Richardson.  He's fun to watch.

Obviously there is always going to be uncertainty with any new young player, but, for me at least, it's tough to feel overly worried about getting someone even more injury-prone than DJ has proven to be since entering the league in 2019.

True Blue

I agree with DB above, and also want to point out, that AR had injury risks/concerns going into the draft, he is made of glass, taking him at 4 was always gonna be a huge risk, I also feel the first comment is unfair given DJ himself is currently injured.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on October 18, 2023, 12:58:36 PMI agree with DB above, and also want to point out, that AR had injury risks/concerns going into the draft, he is made of glass, taking him at 4 was always gonna be a huge risk, I also feel the first comment is unfair given DJ himself is currently injured.

I am not sure that AR was made of glass as much as he seems to play a very physical brand of football.  His size allowed him to be quite physical, but the downside is that even if you are pretty big, those hits have a way of extracting a toll.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 18, 2023, 01:07:47 PMI am not sure that AR was made of glass as much as he seems to play a very physical brand of football.  His size allowed him to be quite physical, but the downside is that even if you are pretty big, those hits have a way of extracting a toll.

When I say made of glass, I mean injury prone, as in a combination of previous injury history, coupled with the high likelihood of reinjury or new injury. He already missed a game or two prior to this, plus the injuries in college.

zephirus

Curious to see when the pendulum starts to swing back in the other direction.  College influenced the NFL some years back when Oregon and their ilk ran a brand of football that was not pro-style, but effective in winning.  It started bleeding into the NFL in a trickle, with Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota.  Even in 2016 or 2017 the top QBs were mostly still pocket passers.  By 2018/19 the shift was more prevalent with Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield to a certain extent, Kyler Murray, even Daniel Jones.  They're equally as mixed a bag as the pocket passers of the same years but seemingly more injury prone. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: zephirus on October 18, 2023, 04:57:33 PMCurious to see when the pendulum starts to swing back in the other direction.  College influenced the NFL some years back when Oregon and their ilk ran a brand of football that was not pro-style, but effective in winning.  It started bleeding into the NFL in a trickle, with Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota.  Even in 2016 or 2017 the top QBs were mostly still pocket passers.  By 2018/19 the shift was more prevalent with Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield to a certain extent, Kyler Murray, even Daniel Jones.  They're equally as mixed a bag as the pocket passers of the same years but seemingly more injury prone. 

Not sure if it ever will swing back unless the NFL makes rules to slow the pass rushers. 

It is pretty wild to me that this has been slowly progressing since SI called Cunningham the QB for the 90's and has recently accelerated to the point you described.

Even with all the rules protecting QBs, there has still been plenty of injuries this year.  I think I heard that 40 guys have started games so far this year.

I mentioned in a thread that these young mobile guys need to learn to slide.  Have seen a number of them take some big hits. Not sure if that's what caused Richardson's injury, but I'd did see him make some decisions to try and put his shoulder down into a tackler this year. 

The NFL wants scoring and to protect QBs, but when they are mobil, they have less protection in some situations.