News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quote from Leo

Started by MightyGiants, October 21, 2023, 09:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

#Giants Leonard Williams gave me an interesting quote on coaches having 'favorites' when I asked about only having 3 sacks in 18 games under Wink Martindale.  nypost.com/2023/10/20/leo...

'Playing in different systems definitely affects guys," Williams told @nypostsports. "Pat Graham did a good job of knowing what type of player I was and putting me in the right position, but he also played a little bit of favoritism with me in a way.

'I was always one of P.G.'s favorite guys, whereas in this system Dex did really well, so he's one of the favorites.

"It's not bad at all. It's a good thing. I love to see Dex thriving, and I'll take what I get and make the best of it."

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1715713087171354853?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Interesting quote.  On the one hand it could be viewed as selfless.  On the other hand hand it could be looked at as making an excuse for lower production, looking ahead to his impending free agency.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

4 Aces

Everyone talks about Barkley being traded, but the guys I'd look to ship out are Adoree Jackson and Leonard Williams. I'd agree with him, he's not a fit in Wink's D. He's a classic 43 3T IMO.

kingm56

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 21, 2023, 07:04:28 PMEveryone talks about Barkley being traded, but the guys I'd look to ship out are Adoree Jackson and Leonard Williams. I'd agree with him, he's not a fit in Wink's D. He's a classic 43 3T IMO.

Even prorated, it's unlikely any team is going to absorb WIlliam's contract...it's that bad. However, I concur with your overall assessment; I would like to see Jackson and Williams gone too, as they're too old to fit into the Giants long-term plans...

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on October 22, 2023, 04:08:19 AMEven prorated, it's unlikely any team is going to absorb WIlliam's contract...it's that bad. However, I concur with your overall assessment; I would like to see Jackson and Williams gone too, as they're too old to fit into the Giants long-term plans...

Jackson needs to be healthy to have any value. He needs to be able to help a team this year. With that said, he is still a good player. He's a very good tackler and a good all around corner. And at 28 he still has another couple years of being effective.

I'm not sure what you get in return for Leo. Probably little to nothing. He's just not much of a difference maker. He had a big year that one year he was looking to get paid. Once he locked down the contract, he was mediocre.

Barkley I think gets you something, but I don't know that he gives you more than what you get as a compensatory pick.

McKinney is a possibility. He's still young. He plays a non-premium position though, his rookie contract is up, and he has not been good this year.

Jones is unmovable. We already know the rest of the league is not high on him (see the Athletic surveys the last two years), and that 2024 cap hit is a disaster. Someone would need to genuinely believe that $40mm a year is a really team-friendly price for him, and I just can't see a single team thinking that.

The only two players on the team who would give us a real haul are Dex and Thomas.

I think we should get whatever we can (above what we would get in a compensatory pick situation) for any or all of the above players. No point in keeping them around as 2023 is a lost season, and I doubt there are plans to keep any of them around after this year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 21, 2023, 07:04:28 PMEveryone talks about Barkley being traded, but the guys I'd look to ship out are Adoree Jackson and Leonard Williams. I'd agree with him, he's not a fit in Wink's D. He's a classic 43 3T IMO.

If the player isn't in the Giants' plans after this season, they should be among the "for sale" players.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 21, 2023, 09:26:42 AM#Giants Leonard Williams gave me an interesting quote on coaches having 'favorites' when I asked about only having 3 sacks in 18 games under Wink Martindale.  nypost.com/2023/10/20/leo...

'Playing in different systems definitely affects guys," Williams told @nypostsports. "Pat Graham did a good job of knowing what type of player I was and putting me in the right position, but he also played a little bit of favoritism with me in a way.

'I was always one of P.G.'s favorite guys, whereas in this system Dex did really well, so he's one of the favorites.

"It's not bad at all. It's a good thing. I love to see Dex thriving, and I'll take what I get and make the best of it."

Rich: Just his way (and a GOOD way IMO) of trying to stay w/Giants next year (and beyond?).  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 23, 2023, 09:36:28 AMRich: Just his way (and a GOOD way IMO) of trying to stay w/Giants next year (and beyond?).  Bob

My own thought is the Giants are likely moving on from Leo after the season unless he is willing to entertain some form of a hometown discount.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 23, 2023, 09:40:24 AMMy own thought is the Giants are likely moving on from Leo after the season unless he is willing to entertain some form of a hometown discount.

Rich: I know your view. That's why I wrote the post. If you're right maybe Jets want him back. You never know. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!