News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Brian Daboll ran the Giants’ offensive meetings

Started by MightyGiants, October 22, 2023, 01:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Pat Leonard
@PLeonardNYDN
Sources: Giants head coach Brian Daboll turned back to the clock to his days as the Bills' offensive coordinator this week and ran the Giants' offensive meetings with players as he once did in Buffalo.

This is the first week Daboll has taken this drastic measure. He was not only discussing game strategy and game plan. He was also coaching individual position groups and players on his expectations and adjustments for specific plays in those meetings.

That included detailed instructions for the offensive line, his team's Achilles heel.

The reason for Daboll's increased involvement is self-explanatory: the Giants (1-5) are on the verge of a total collapse and possibly a trade deadline firesale if they suffer a fifth straight loss Sunday to Washington (3-3) at MetLife Stadium.

And Daboll's expertise, the offense, is the primary reason why.

Full story here @nydnsports
:
https://nydailynews.com/2023/10/22/bri

https://x.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1716070455482650833?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 22, 2023, 03:19:04 PMHopefully Kafka will be gone next year.

Hard to see him getting a head coaching job, which is the only job he'd leave for.

I guess the only other possibility is a college head coaching position.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 22, 2023, 03:24:32 PMHard to see him getting a head coaching job, which is the only job he'd leave for.

I guess the only other possibility is a college head coaching position.
He can be let go.

andrew_nyGiants

I don't know why Kafka is being held to account. He is only dealing the hand he was dealt by injuries and Bobby Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

T200

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 22, 2023, 06:32:52 PMI don't know why Kafka is being held to account. He is only dealing the hand he was dealt by injuries and Bobby Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Because he's in charge of the offense and has called horrible offensive games all season. No creativity whatsoever.

Jaime

T200 spot on :Chestram:
Our play calling has been beyond vanilla this season.
Kafka should have been let go after the Seattle game...

katkavage

Quote from: Jaime on October 22, 2023, 07:43:20 PMT200 spot on :Chestram:
Our play calling has been beyond vanilla this season.
Kafka should have been let go after the Seattle game...
They went into the second half playing not to lose.First down runs were good for setting up third and long, series after series. The result: failure.

spiderblue43

#:-S Daboll after the final gun. I wonder what he was thinking when Thibs dropped a pick 6 ~X(

4 Aces

I don't mean this to be rude, but I've always been confused about the high opinions of Kafka. What are they based on? Him coaching Mahomes? It seems he was annointed as the next great thing before actually doing anything. If you ask me, he doesn't inspire much confidence talking in front of the media - maybe he's a different guy behind closed doors. I just don't see the polished next big thing others - like Northwestern - seem to.

There is no evidence to suggest this guy's a good Offensive Coordinator. There is with Daboll. The offense looked better as a group this week, and earned 20+ points if not for the missed FG and Barkley fumble.

Also - the Giants weren't lining up in shotgun every play and using just the inside hand-off. They were under center, with a variety of run plays which if nothing else helps the pass pro. I would like to see DJ come back with Daboll calling the O. 

Gmo11

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 22, 2023, 11:42:43 PMI don't mean this to be rude, but I've always been confused about the high opinions of Kafka. What are they based on? Him coaching Mahomes? It seems he was annointed as the next great thing before actually doing anything. If you ask me, he doesn't inspire much confidence talking in front of the media - maybe he's a different guy behind closed doors. I just don't see the polished next big thing others - like Northwestern - seem to.

There is no evidence to suggest this guy's a good Offensive Coordinator. There is with Daboll. The offense looked better as a group this week, and earned 20+ points if not for the missed FG and Barkley fumble.

Also - the Giants weren't lining up in shotgun every play and using just the inside hand-off. They were under center, with a variety of run plays which if nothing else helps the pass pro. I would like to see DJ come back with Daboll calling the O. 

He was fine last year as they (temporarily) resurrected Jones' career. Actually he may have done too good a job because now they're stuck with Jones for at least another season.

beaugestus

Like Bill Parcells after his first season, Daboll had to do something. He took the bull by the horns and if he was going to go down with the ship. I think Bill's line was something to the effect, "I am going to do it with my guys."

Regarding Kafka, with the malady of his OL there wasn't much he can do. I would imagine that it was an eye opener for that unit and would think that they paid more attention to detail last week with the HC more involved. Last year we were all praising are new OC. Let's see what happens?

T200

Quote from: beaugestus on October 23, 2023, 05:17:11 AMLike Bill Parcells after his first season, Daboll had to do something. He took the bull by the horns and if he was going to go down with the ship. I think Bill's line was something to the effect, "I am going to do it with my guys."

Regarding Kafka, with the malady of his OL there wasn't much he can do. I would imagine that it was an eye opener for that unit and would think that they paid more attention to detail last week with the HC more involved. Last year we were all praising are new OC. Let's see what happens?

I think most here would agree that Jones and Taylor have similar skillsets, with Jones being the better runner and Taylor being the better passer.

Do you think there was any difference in the plays called for Jones versus the plays called for Taylor? I know they install a game plan based on the opposition, but just looking at the types of plays that were called, how would you compare them?