News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Question: Evan Neal and Andrew Thomas could they switch?

Started by brownelvis54, October 24, 2023, 02:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Even Neal was a high draft pick and he is having issues playing RT. Neal started all 40 games in which he played at Alabama and missed only one game in 3 seasons – due to a positive COVID-19 test in 2020... Started 13 games at left guard in 2019, 12 at right tackle in 2020 and 15 at left tackle in 2021. Meanwhile, Thomas started every game at right tackle his true freshman season, earning him a Freshman All-American accolade after the conclusion of the season. Thomas switched to left tackle for his sophomore season.

Is it fair to Thomas to ask him to play RT?

Should Neal play LT or should the Giants slide him to LG a position he played in college?

If we do end up drafting an O-linemen such as Olumuyiwa Fashanu (plays LT) Maybe having Thomas at RT could help there too?

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

The thought of tasking Evan Neal with protecting our QB's blind side when we already have an all pro at that position makes me shudder.

MightyGiants

@brownelvis54 what traits have you seen from Neal that lead you to believe he would play better at the LT position compared to the RT position?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

I was more open to the idea once Thomas got hurt and they had to throw an equally terrible player at LT anyway so why not try....but if Thomas is healthy and already an all pro caliber LT you can't disrupt that.  Its the one position on that line they actually have a decent player for. 

Ed Vette

A year ago I entertained that thought. After watching Neal for the past year, I believe he would bring along all of his baggage to the other side.

He has to fix these issues. Sending him to the other side won't fix it.
Slow to stance
Poor hand placement and timing of punch. Poor use of hands.
Opens hips too soon
Tends to lean due to poor foot movement
Can't speak French
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 24, 2023, 02:36:30 PM@brownelvis54 what traits have you seen from Neal that lead you to believe he would play better at the LT position compared to the RT position?

Rich, sadly, not a damn thing. just trying to think of a way to salvage this young man's career. Add to the fact it looks like he had more plaiying time on the left side than he did the right if you combine left guard and left tackle.

Like Ed said he has slow hands slow feet. Maybe the best option ultimately is put them on the left side at guard since he did play left guard and he did play left tackle perhaps left guard would be the perfect fit for him.

EDjohnst1981

No. You have an elite LT, you don't mess with that.

Leave Neal to sort himself out in another position or on the bench. But it shouldn't be at LT.

Philosophers

Nobody knows for sure what the result would be so we are all speculating.

Scenarios if switched:

a) both positions are improved.  Doubtful as AT played at high level at OLT.
b) ORT improves while OLT is average.  AT elevates ORT (how can he not improve it) and Neal plays at least average at OLT.  Possible.
c) ORT is subpar and OLT is subpar.  AT struggles to play ORT and Neal is not any better at OLT.  Possible.

I don't a realistic positive scenario making the switch given how well AT plays OLT.

Jclayton92

Neal is making progress, I don't even know why you ask for the switch when he's taking steps.

At the year mark of ATs career he wasn't playing great football but improving.

Neal is improving this season so there's no need to even consider a switch. By improving I mean putting up better game tape than he did in the previous game.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 24, 2023, 04:03:11 PMNeal is making progress, I don't even know why you ask for the switch when he's taking steps.

At the year mark of ATs career he wasn't playing great football but improving.

Neal is improving this season so there's no need to even consider a switch. By improving I mean putting up better game tape than he did in the previous game.

This season is a wash anyway.  Giants should let Neal play out the whole year at RT and review him at the end of the season to check on his development or not. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 24, 2023, 04:07:53 PMThis season is a wash anyway.  Giants should let Neal play out the whole year at RT and review him at the end of the season to check on his development or not. 
Regardless I think he gets 1 more year before you even consider it. Because more than likely we are getting a new Oline coach this offseason and he's going to give Neal every opportunity before moving him elsewhere. So I think it's more of a 2025 question than a right now question.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 24, 2023, 05:01:28 PMRegardless I think he gets 1 more year before you even consider it. Because more than likely we are getting a new Oline coach this offseason and he's going to give Neal every opportunity before moving him elsewhere. So I think it's more of a 2025 question than a right now question.

I agree we likely get a new OL coach (unless the OL really comes together this season).  If Neal does not materially improve by end of this season, I've got to think they'll tell him he is not the presumptive starting ORT for 2024 season that he's in open competition.  That's what I'd do even with a new OL coach.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Philosophers on October 24, 2023, 03:48:14 PMNobody knows for sure what the result would be so we are all speculating.

Scenarios if switched:

a) both positions are improved.  Doubtful as AT played at high level at OLT.
b) ORT improves while OLT is average.  AT elevates ORT (how can he not improve it) and Neal plays at least average at OLT.  Possible.
c) ORT is subpar and OLT is subpar.  AT struggles to play ORT and Neal is not any better at OLT.  Possible.

I don't a realistic positive scenario making the switch given how well AT plays OLT.

I am certain Neal would fail at left tackle. His footwork is a disaster and terribly slow. He has next to no hand advantage, which would be exploited even more on the left side facing better rushers.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 24, 2023, 08:44:05 PMI am certain Neal would fail at left tackle. His footwork is a disaster and terribly slow. He has next to no hand advantage, which would be exploited even more on the left side facing better rushers.

Started 13 games at left guard in 2019....so maybe LG would be the ideal spot for him?

madbadger

Neal should move inwards not to the opposite side of the line. I question his foot speed and moving him to the left side isn't what this team needs. Despite his height I think he could be an excellent guard.