News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jamie Gillan

Started by MagicRat, October 29, 2023, 05:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicRat

I have an immense amount of good feeling towards my fellow Scots Highlander, but I'm also having doubts.

He seems to have a brain fart in him when things get to the business end.
Happened again today with the shank.

I'm also not a massive fan of the rugby style punt.

I far prefer the more conventional, straight up, punting style.

I think it's probably seeing Morstead's efforts today that has brought this to the front of my mind.
There's a lot of things need fixed before we start worrying too hard about the punter, but I think there's many things Jamie needs to work on.

We're going to be playing a few close, low scoring games in the foreseeable,  the hidden yards will matter.
Smell my cheese you mother!

madbadger

Matt Ariza is still unsigned after being flasely accused of rape, but punter is the least of our worries.

kartanoman

Quote from: MagicRat on October 29, 2023, 05:54:37 PMI have an immense amount of good feeling towards my fellow Scots Highlander, but I'm also having doubts.

He seems to have a brain fart in him when things get to the business end.
Happened again today with the shank.

I'm also not a massive fan of the rugby style punt.

I far prefer the more conventional, straight up, punting style.

I think it's probably seeing Morstead's efforts today that has brought this to the front of my mind.
There's a lot of things need fixed before we start worrying too hard about the punter, but I think there's many things Jamie needs to work on.

We're going to be playing a few close, low scoring games in the foreseeable,  the hidden yards will matter.

It's good hearing from you and enjoyed your commentary on Gillen.

He's fared well in the early part of this season; however, and this has always been my concern with him, his performance suffers when exposed to the elements of the northeastern United States.

I appreciate your keen observation on his using the end-over-end drop punt when he should be using a spiral, torpedo coffin-corner kick. In my opinion, the drop punt lands at or just inside the 20 for him when he should be using it where the kick will land at the 10.

Have you also noticed, in order to avoid the punt rush, he takes a step 45 degrees from the line of scrimmage before dropping the ball onto his foot? A bit unusual, but if it works for him, then by all means keep doing it.

In all, he had a decent performance today. He has improved a little since last year and deserves credit for that. Now that we are on the back half of the season, and the weather will start to become an increasing factor in New York, it will be interesting to see how his performance holds up as the weather conditions deteriorate.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

It's never a good sign, in terms of a team's success, where there is a thread discussing the punter's performance.  Of course, when a punter punts THIRTEEN TIMES, there is plenty to talk about.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Lots of low snaps yesterday
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MagicRat

We have way bigger needs and issues, yes, but sorry......Jamie ain't good enough.

Giant Obsession

If Schoen can not upgrade the Punter position in 2 years, then perhaps we need an upgrade at Schoen's position.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Trench

Guy is having a tough game that's for sure

MagicRat

It f-ing hurts me saying it about a Scot in the NFL but he's WAY short of good enough.
And I don't like rugby style punters. Full stop.

Bigmoose

Quote from: MagicRat on December 25, 2023, 04:50:21 PMWe have way bigger needs and issues, yes, but sorry......Jamie ain't good enough.

To everyone on this thread - our punter is injured.  How he was cleared to play today is the issue.  If you can't see the impact of the injury on his punts today, your eyesight needs to be checked.

Another glorious example of how our medical staff sucks.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bigmoose on December 25, 2023, 06:17:09 PMTo everyone on this thread - our punter is injured.  How he was cleared to play today is the issue.  If you can't see the impact of the injury on his punts today, your eyesight needs to be checked.

Lucky he's even playing with the groin injury.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MagicRat

Quote from: Bigmoose on December 25, 2023, 06:17:09 PMTo everyone on this thread - our punter is injured.  How he was cleared to play today is the issue.  If you can't see the impact of the injury on his punts today, your eyesight needs to be checked.

He's injured tonight, yes, and that's on the staff.
But generally he's not good enough.
And the rugby style doesn't work.

kartanoman

Quote from: MagicRat on December 25, 2023, 06:28:05 PMHe's injured tonight, yes, and that's on the staff.
But generally he's not good enough.
And the rugby style doesn't work.

Tonight was a perfect storm of an injured punter, who was unable to kick the ball outside the numbers, which yielded too many return yards. That simply cannot happen, injured or not.

He struggled with hang time on top of the other issues which made his performance even worse.

I agree with the others here in that Gillen probably shouldn't have played today. I remember Sean Landeta having Groin issues which shut him down in 1988 and in 1992, I believe. So, why not the same for Gillen? Why risk aggravating it and making it worse?

I feel bad for the guy because he's trying to be a trooper and man it out. This is worth putting the medical team under the microscope to see if they do the right thing. Right now, after Gillen's performance today, I have to say he shouldn't have played and they need to stand him down for the rest ofthe season. We shall have to see.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

It also wouldn't hurt to have a punt coverage team that could actually cover.  And tackle.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 26, 2023, 11:07:14 AMIt also wouldn't hurt to have a punt coverage team that could actually cover.  And tackle.

The Iggles must have jumped in the Vaseline vat before taking the field because the missed tackles were everywhere yesterday. Quite embarrassing.

Peace!