News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones is cleared for contact and a return to starting

Started by MightyGiants, October 30, 2023, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 09:56:23 AMWow! What a coincidence!!!
 /sarcasm/

Ed: IMO, "cleared for contact" does not mean "starting next week."  We'll have to see what we shall see.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 10:03:43 AMEd: IMO, "cleared for contact" does not mean "starting next week."  We'll have to see what we shall see.  Bob

Really Bob? Seriously?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Jim

Really need to see him back with Thomas and Neal to evaluate for the rest of the season.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 10:03:43 AMEd: IMO, "cleared for contact" does not mean "starting next week."  We'll have to see what we shall see.  Bob

Bob,

Jones has repeatedly said he could do everything (throw, run, lift, etc) in the past couple of weeks.  The limiting factor was contact.  So I would expect to see him start.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 10:09:12 AMReally Bob? Seriously?
Ed: Are you inferring Jones could have played yesterday and/or had already been cleared by the doctors but the Giants chose to hold him out one extra week from participating in what IMO was a must-win game?  Bob

madbadger

I hope for his sake that he really is cleared to return because this week Daboll sounded really pessimistic about him playing any time soon. I'd hate to see the guy suffer a life altering injury to play in a lost season. He's a big boy. Hope it works out for him.

kingm56

Quote from: Giant Jim on October 30, 2023, 10:10:11 AMReally need to see him back with Thomas and Neal to evaluate for the rest of the season.

After 60 games we still need to evaluate Jones? At this point, he is what he is; the question remains, will the Giants be in a position to replace him next season?  That's the intrigue for the rest of this season. To Ed's point, I suspect the Giants have already concluded their evaluation, which is why he wasn't cleared until today...when they had no other options. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 30, 2023, 10:13:02 AMBob,

Jones has repeatedly said he could do everything (throw, run, lift, etc) in the past couple of weeks.  The limiting factor was contact.  So I would expect to see him start.

Rich: I understand that that makes sense but am being extra cautious because your final sentence does not necessarily follow logically from the preceding sentence.  It's a leap IMO we can't make at this time. Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: kingm56 on October 30, 2023, 10:15:03 AMAfter 60 games we still need to evaluate Jones? At this point, he is what he is; the question remains, will the Giants be in a position to replace him next season?  That's the intrigue for the rest of this season. To Ed's point, I suspect the Giants have already concluded their evaluation, which is why he wasn't cleared until today...when they had no other options.

king: Your point's another reason to question whether Jones will start or just be available for emergency backup. 

The season is now IMO officially "lost" so why rush him back?

The only possible explanation is to draw a parallel to Barkley.  In both cases, they could be overpaying both guys because they were "stuck" with them when they (Daboll and Shoen) got here. And we see that, hurting or not, they're squeezing every last dollar they're paying Barkley out of him (playing him a lot, probably "too much"). Even though Jones is not nearly as good a player as Barkley, is there reason to suspect they might be trying as hard to get their "money's-worth" out of Jones in the same manner?

Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 10:13:08 AMEd: Are you inferring Jones could have played yesterday and/or had already been cleared by the doctors but the Giants chose to hold him out one extra week from participating in what IMO was a must-win game?  Bob
Yup, and he's starting next week. TT prepared all week. If he cleared Friday, Saturday or Sunday, he wasn't playing although I won't rule out the hot hand theory. If he did clear, he should have been the backup at least but we know that was never going to fly.

Don't you find it odd that this morning he's miraculously healed?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 10:25:31 AMDon't you find it odd that this morning he's miraculously healed?

Ed: Are you suggesting the Giants are attempting to "tank" the season under the radar of the NYC sports media? Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 10:27:53 AMEd: Are you suggesting the Giants are attempting to "tank" the season under the radar of the NYC sports media? Bob
No, not at all. Read.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Taylor deserves a lifetime salary from the Giants for taking one for the team yesterday. I said before the game that if Taylor struggled, Jones would be suddenly cleared to play against the Raiders. If Taylor led them to victory, Jones neck would still be an issue. Money. Money. Money.