News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants cut their punt returner

Started by MightyGiants, October 30, 2023, 04:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

uhhh ok. that was some of the best punt returning ive seen in recent memory from us. sad as that sounds.

Ed Vette

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 30, 2023, 04:48:59 PMuhhh ok. that was some of the best punt returning ive seen in recent memory from us. sad as that sounds.
You can say that again. He was the best part of Special Teams yesterday.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Apparently this guy is a ball security disaster waiting to happen. I have two separate friends (totally unrelated and don't know each other) who are both Steelers fans and both expressed shock to me that we signed him.

gregf

Yah, I can't figure this one out.  He looked way smoother than Gray fielding the ball

gregf

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2023, 05:11:40 PMApparently this guy is a ball security disaster waiting to happen. I have two separate friends (totally unrelated and don't know each other) who are both Steelers fans and both expressed shock to me that we signed him.

Good Intel.   Thanks

Sem

Still, this begs the question, if not him then who?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Sem on October 30, 2023, 05:15:36 PMStill, this begs the question, if not him then who?

I don't have an answer to that question, but there is no reason why I would as I am an amateur. I'm sure they have some ideas.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2023, 05:11:40 PMApparently this guy is a ball security disaster waiting to happen. I have two separate friends (totally unrelated and don't know each other) who are both Steelers fans and both expressed shock to me that we signed him.

I noticed he held the ball in the wrong arm, on one return (he didn't hold the ball in the arm away from the defenders)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Looks like they have plans to pick up Olszewski later this week.

While he may have been run out of Pittsburgh for fumbling in the past, he most definitely looked like an experienced punt returner who knew how to position himself before making the catch, was confident in catching the ball, and looked to protect the ball as he took off on his returns. If he can play them all like he did yesterday, then I have no problem keeping him back there for the rest of the season.

Hopefully he'll be back next weekend.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on October 30, 2023, 06:06:53 PMIf he can play them all like he did yesterday, then I have no problem keeping him back

He has ability. There's a reason he is available though, and that is that he also has a significant fumbling problem. 10 fumbles in 81 career punt returns. That's not a low percentage at all. And there is no evidence that the problem has improved in recent years.

Maybe he will prove to have been worth the gamble. But there's definitely a reason he has been let go by every team he has played for so far.

Blue Since ‘62