News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

dexter lawrence legacy

Started by B1GBLUE, October 30, 2023, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

"Dexter Lawrence, though, is if anything a bargain. He was a monster (again) yesterday, grading an almost perfect 95.0. For the season, he is the NFL's highest graded interior defensive lineman at 92.4, and the NFL's second highest graded defender at any position (behind only Myles Garrett). His 44 total pressures are tied for the NFL lead at any position with Nick Bosa. That's right, more than all the other NFL edge defenders, even Micah Parsons (43). Yesterday Lawrence had 15 total pressures by PFF's reckoning (1 sack, 4 QB hits). NextGenStats counts things differently - they had him with "only" 12 pressures, after having had 8 last week - no other player at the 0-technique position (nose tackle) has generated more than 5 pressures in a game since they began keeping track in 2016"

These are some of the most ridiculous, dominating stats i have ever seen. If he keeps up this type of play, do you think he will be a HOF candidate?  I know he's basically only had 2 seasons of this type of play so far, and he still doesnt have chris jones or aaron donald type of notoriety. but anyone who truly appreciates the game of football has to realize he is a top 15 player in this league. and he's doing things at his position that are absolutely unheard of. i dont even know what to compare it to. its like a defensive end getting 10 int on the season. its that level of dominance. i LOVE having this guy on the team.

SUPERSEE

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 30, 2023, 05:05:09 PM"Dexter Lawrence, though, is if anything a bargain. He was a monster (again) yesterday, grading an almost perfect 95.0. For the season, he is the NFL's highest graded interior defensive lineman at 92.4, and the NFL's second highest graded defender at any position (behind only Myles Garrett). His 44 total pressures are tied for the NFL lead at any position with Nick Bosa. That's right, more than all the other NFL edge defenders, even Micah Parsons (43). Yesterday Lawrence had 15 total pressures by PFF's reckoning (1 sack, 4 QB hits). NextGenStats counts things differently - they had him with "only" 12 pressures, after having had 8 last week - no other player at the 0-technique position (nose tackle) has generated more than 5 pressures in a game since they began keeping track in 2016"

These are some of the most ridiculous, dominating stats i have ever seen. If he keeps up this type of play, do you think he will be a HOF candidate?  I know he's basically only had 2 seasons of this type of play so far, and he still doesnt have chris jones or aaron donald type of notoriety. but anyone who truly appreciates the game of football has to realize he is a top 15 player in this league. and he's doing things at his position that are absolutely unheard of. i dont even know what to compare it to. its like a defensive end getting 10 int on the season. its that level of dominance. i LOVE having this guy on the team.
thank you B1GBLUE these are impressive numbers. Dex is my fav player. All Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingm56

While Dex numbers are impressive, I think it's highly premature to discuss his 'legacy.'  To date, he's 'only' accumulated 132 solo tackles and 19.5 sacks; compare those numbers to Keith Hamilton, who at this point in his career had 31 sacks and 127 solo tackles (note – the NFL did not compile tackle data during Hamilton's first year).  At this point in their career, Hamilton has objectively better numbers; also, both players received 1x All-Pro recognition.  Keith Hamilton is remembered as a good tackle, but won't be confused with a HoF player.  At this point in time, the same is true for Dex; while he's a good player, he's not close to Aaron Donalds' level of production, which is to say, he's not close to HoF consideration.  To that point, it's entirely too early to talk about legacy...

uconnjack8

Quote from: kingm56 on October 31, 2023, 06:37:15 AMWhile Dex numbers are impressive, I think it's highly premature to discuss his 'legacy.'  To date, he's 'only' accumulated 132 solo tackles and 19.5 sacks; compare those numbers to Keith Hamilton, who at this point in his career had 31 sacks and 127 solo tackles (note – the NFL did not compile tackle data during Hamilton's first year).  At this point in their career, Hamilton has objectively better numbers; also, both players received 1x All-Pro recognition.  Keith Hamilton is remembered as a good tackle, but won't be confused with a HoF player.  At this point in time, the same is true for Dex; while he's a good player, he's not close to Aaron Donalds' level of production, which is to say, he's not close to HoF consideration.  To that point, it's entirely too early to talk about legacy...

I agree it's a tad early to talk about Dex's potential post football legacy. 

One question about the comparison to Hamilton, didn't Hamilton play DE for his 1st 3 years?

kingm56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 31, 2023, 07:06:23 AMI agree it's a tad early to talk about Dex's potential post football legacy. 

One question about the comparison to Hamilton, didn't Hamilton play DE for his 1st 3 years?

You're 100% correct, Matt; I believe he played opposite Strahan his first three years.  That also speaks to his quality as he recorded double-digit sacks as LE and DT.

I honestly think some fans forgot what a dominate defender entails; our last one was mid-2000s Strahan, which was two decade ago.  We have a generation of fans who conflate a good defender with a future HoF.  Also, concerning Dex, he needs to show up again the NFL best Centers; notice he disappears when we play Phili, when we need him most.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on October 31, 2023, 06:37:15 AMWhile Dex numbers are impressive, I think it's highly premature to discuss his 'legacy.'  To date, he's 'only' accumulated 132 solo tackles and 19.5 sacks; compare those numbers to Keith Hamilton, who at this point in his career had 31 sacks and 127 solo tackles (note – the NFL did not compile tackle data during Hamilton's first year).  At this point in their career, Hamilton has objectively better numbers; also, both players received 1x All-Pro recognition.  Keith Hamilton is remembered as a good tackle, but won't be confused with a HoF player.  At this point in time, the same is true for Dex; while he's a good player, he's not close to Aaron Donalds' level of production, which is to say, he's not close to HoF consideration.  To that point, it's entirely too early to talk about legacy...

fair enough. but this is what annoys me about "production aka sack stats". there have been plenty of guys who put up good sack numbers. and keith hamilton is before my time. was he a nose tackle?

kingm56

Keith Hamilton was affectionately known as "The Hammer."  He played in the 90s/early 2000's when the Giants converted from a 3-4 to 4-3 front; he played the 3-technique for the majority of his career, where Dex plays the 1-technique. However, Hammer was versatile and capable of playing 1, 3 or 5 techniques; he recorded double sacks as both a DT and LE and was the Giants' best defensive player before the great Strahan immerged.  Even the best C/Gs in the league had problems pushing Hammer off the spot...he was really good at holding the POA and Gap control...you did not run at Hammer.  Keith was a really good DT, but will never be considered for the HoF.  Dex is on a similar trajectory; unless things change, it's just way too early to even bring up the HoF.   

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on October 31, 2023, 08:26:17 AMKeith Hamilton was affectionately known as "The Hammer."  He played in the early 2000's when the Giants converted from a 3-4 to 4-3 front; he played the 3-technique for the majority of his career, where Dex plays the 1-technique. However, Hammer was versatile and capable of playing 1, 3 or 5 techniques; he recorded double sacks as both a DT and LE and was the Giants' best defensive player before the great Strahan immerged.  Even the best C/Gs in the league had problems pushing Hammer off the spot...he was really good at holding the POA and Gap control...you did not run at Hammer.  Keith was a really good DT, but will never be considered for the HoF.  Dex is on a similar trajectory; unless things change, it's just way too early to even bring up the HoF.   

probably true. i just get annoyed that he doesnt get the respect he deserves. is there any player in the league playing better at their position right now?

kingm56

I think Dex's gets plenty of respect; most rankings have him in the top 5, or 6 DTs in the league.  However, he's not going to be considered on par with Aaron Donald or Chris Jones until he plays elite games, against elite centers, and generates more sacks.  Donald/Jones are the best DTs in game, and have been so for a decade; Donald is the surefire 1st year HoF player...Jones gets in too. Dex will not earn that level of respect, until he produces at the same level.