News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A list of teams that are tanking and those who are gearing up

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2023, 03:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Teams trying to make a Super Bowl run

49ers-  They ended a good pass rusher to an already formable line

Jags-  Acquired a solid guard from the Vikings

Seahawks-  Added Leonard Williams to strengthen their interior D-lie

Teams that are tanking

Cards-  Gave away their most effective QB

Commanders-  Traded away their starting edge rushers and lef themselves nothing

Giants-  I hesitate to put them on the list because I am not sure how much Leo was contributing

Any you would add to either list?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Jim

Tanking means losing on purpose to get better draft position. Knowing John Mara, he'd probably fire anyone that purposely losses a game for any reason. It's totally against NFL rules. Brian Flores has a suit against several teams including the Giants and tanking implications are part of it, although not at the Giants. Does anyone think Brian Daboll would lose on purpose? Mara has fired 3 coaches in a row after just 2 seasons each. Would he lose on purpose and chance losing his job so he could get better players? What players do you think will tank? Many on the roster are not guaranteed to be here next year, so they're playing for their jobs or new contracts.   

Trading players that a team doesn't intend to re-sign is not tanking. It gives teams a chance to play younger players to give them experience and evaluate them. It also gets them some return before they lose them for nothing. The Williams trade could give Jordon Riley a chance to show what he can do. You think they want him to play poorly so they can get better draft position? You think he'd play poorly so the team can get better players? What was he, a 7th round pick? He's got a lot to prove to get a new, better contract after his rookie contract expires.

Until someone can prove that someone or ones are tanking, it's an insult to to say a team is tanking. I'm probably one of the most critical people of John and his father, but one thing I truly believe, neither would ever condone tanking.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 03:20:36 PMGiants-  I hesitate to put them on the list because I am not sure how much Leo was contributing
Rich: I agree with your thoughts but would have NOT included them.  Trading one player for at least fair compensation is not "tanking." 

Let's see what they do on the field this week. If they make the same dumb coaching mistakes to avoid winning as they did against the Jets, THEN I would include them as "tanking."

The alternative (that they are just plain stupid and bad coaches) is utterly ridiculous.

Bob

PS. I apologize to everyone I'm trying to offend.  :what:
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 03:20:36 PMTeams trying to make a Super Bowl run

49ers-  They ended a good pass rusher to an already formable line

Jags-  Acquired a solid guard from the Vikings

Seahawks-  Added Leonard Williams to strengthen their interior D-lie

Teams that are tanking

Cards-  Gave away their most effective QB

Commanders-  Traded away their starting edge rushers and lef themselves nothing

Giants-  I hesitate to put them on the list because I am not sure how much Leo was contributing

Any you would add to either list?

No, I think the list is spot-on.

My only comment is I'm a bit surprised the Pats didn't move any people out today.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2023, 05:29:52 PMNo, I think the list is spot-on.

My only comment is I'm a bit surprised the Pats didn't move any people out today.

I heard the Pats got plenty of calls.  I guess teams were expecting fire sale prices.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE