News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Josh McDaniel fired

Started by spiderblue43, November 01, 2023, 02:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

Raiders have fired JM and their GM Ziegler in a late nite purge prior to their Giants match up. Antonio Pierce..remember..will serve as interim HC.

McDaniel second flop out west that included a stint as the Broncos HC. :doh:  :surrender:  :no:

kingm56

Considered a prodigy when paired with a HoF QB; without one, he's been fired 2x.

Looks like they could also be making a play for a QB this draft.

brownelvis54

Not surprised. No Tom Brady....not such a good OC
The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

Quote from: spiderblue43 on November 01, 2023, 02:23:03 AMRaiders have fired JM and their GM Ziegler in a late nite purge prior to their Giants match up. Antonio Pierce..remember..will serve as interim HC.

McDaniel second flop out west that included a stint as the Broncos HC. :doh:  :surrender:  :no:

The Belichick coaching twig continues to wilt.   I was shocked that McDaniel got another chance after he screwed over the Colts (leaving them at the alter, so to speak).  McDaniel did a poor job the first time he was the HC and he demonstrated a complete lack of character and integrity with the Colts move.   Is anyone really surprised that he floundered in this stint with the Raiders?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on November 01, 2023, 03:25:00 AMConsidered a prodigy when paired with a HoF QB; without one, he's been fired 2x.

Looks like they could also be making a play for a QB this draft.

Being a good OC doesn't mean they will be a good head coach.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

The Raiders head coaching changes over the last few years are starting to make the Giants Head coaching job look like a stable position.

I agree with the move though. A lot of players on that Offense over the last two years were very good, pro-Bowl/All-Pro players until he got there. Now they suddenly can't play or are not being used enough, not used correctly, were not resigned, or dealt away. He turned Derek Carr from one of the top rated QBs into a guy who could barely complete 60% of his passes. Garoppolo is now on pace for the worst year of his career.

Throw the ball to All-Pro Devonte Adams. Hand it off to All-Pro Josh Jacobs. You have a veteran TE and a promising rookie TE. Use them. How hard is that?

When coaching for the Raiders you still have to follow Al Davis' one rule - Just win baby. 9-16 in the new city ain't gonna cut it.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

AYM

It's interesting that Pierce is interim HC and not Patrick Graham.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 01, 2023, 06:14:47 AMThe Belichick coaching twig continues to wilt.   I was shocked that McDaniel got another chance after he screwed over the Colts (leaving them at the alter, so to speak).  McDaniel did a poor job the first time he was the HC and he demonstrated a complete lack of character and integrity with the Colts move.   Is anyone really surprised that he floundered in this stint with the Raiders?

Fully agree with this. The data on McDaniel was poor going into this stint, although the theory was that he was incredibly young and inexperienced during his Denver head coaching stint and that he might be better this time around. Turned out to not be the case.

I'm not sure how good an OC he is tbh. Having Brady is such a huge advantage, although at the same time that doesn't mean he's not good at the job. At this point I think his career as a head coach is likely over and he'll revert to being an OC. It will be interesting to see how he does in that role without a top 3 QB of all time, assuming that is the situation he ends up in.

uconnjack8

Not surprised given he purged Carr who performed better than what McDaniels is currently putting in the field. 

When you make that move, the offense needs to be better than it was, not worse.

AYM

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2023, 07:39:04 AMFully agree with this. The data on McDaniel was poor going into this stint, although the theory was that he was incredibly young and inexperienced during his Denver head coaching stint and that he might be better this time around. Turned out to not be the case.

I'm not sure how good an OC he is tbh. Having Brady is such a huge advantage, although at the same time that doesn't mean he's not good at the job. At this point I think his career as a head coach is likely over and he'll revert to being an OC. It will be interesting to see how he does in that role without a top 3 QB of all time, assuming that is the situation he ends up in.

He also rode off of Mac Jones' decent rookie season - and to be fair, Jones hasn't come remotely close to that level of play since.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2023, 07:39:04 AMFully agree with this. The data on McDaniel was poor going into this stint, although the theory was that he was incredibly young and inexperienced during his Denver head coaching stint and that he might be better this time around. Turned out to not be the case.

I think a big part of the problem is that they are guided by and trying to copy their mentor, Belichick.  The problem is that Belichick is a once in a generation football mind.   Belichick coaches can't recreate BB's unique talent.

Plus, trust is important in a head coach.  Players and assistant coaches need to trust their leader. Who would trust Josh?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: AYM on November 01, 2023, 08:35:10 AMHe also rode off of Mac Jones' decent rookie season - and to be fair, Jones hasn't come remotely close to that level of play since.

You're correct, AYM! However, I don't believe the disparity between Jones' play with/without McDaniel is as great as you suggest. If you consider his 17 game averages, you'll find they're within the margin:

3801  22/13  92.5
3640  17/13  84.8
3487  19/14  83.5

I suspect the massive improvements the Jets, Buff and Mia over the last two years has more to do with Jones slight dip than losing McDaniels.

Hadron

Not surprising. That roster is underperforming. Garrapolo isn't a world beater but he should be able to put up some points with that talent.

McDaniels is running a scheme that looks outdated and confused.

Symphony Steve

To me, the Raiders and the Bears look to be the two NFL franchises with absolutely no hope.

Neither demonstrates even the slightest degree of stability and/or vision.

TDToomer

No good head coach is ever going to want to work with Mr. Super Bowl Hair Cut.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs