News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Joe Schoen may not be perfect, but at least he treats people right

Started by MightyGiants, November 02, 2023, 12:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmo11

Which is more than his predecessor could say.  And likely to help get FA to want to come to the Giants where they know they will be treated like people, not property. 

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

So we definitely think it's better to have a GM who seeks players' permission before trading them and allows them to be the final decision maker, even in the event that the GM thinks their decision is not in the best interests of the organization?

Don't get me wrong - as I said in the other thread, I think this feedback from Leo definitely reflects positively on the organization, but I do think there is another side to it that is worthy of at least pondering.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 12:19:11 PMSo we definitely think it's better to have a GM who seeks players' permission before trading them and allows them to be the final decision maker, even in the event that the GM thinks their decision is not in the best interests of the organization?

Is there evidence of this happening I'm not aware of?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 12:19:11 PMSo we definitely think it's better to have a GM who seeks players' permission before trading them and allows them to be the final decision maker, even in the event that the GM thinks their decision is not in the best interests of the organization?

Don't get me wrong - as I said in the other thread, I think this feedback from Leo definitely reflects positively on the organization, but I do think there is another side to it that is worthy of at least pondering.
I interpreted it as he had multiple offers and he gave him a heads up. Leo knows he wasn't getting signed to an extension or a new contract. By allowing him to be involved it actually made his negotiating the best deal easier because Seattle can speak with his agents and work out something more long term instead of a one season rental. The Giants got a heck of a deal.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 02, 2023, 12:27:22 PMIs there evidence of this happening I'm not aware of?

Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but I was under the impression after reading it that Schoen said something to the effect of, "let me know by 4pm today" (if you're ok with being traded to Seattle.) Ie, if you're ok with being traded at all.

If he in fact meant, "we're trading you definitely. It can be one of a few different teams. Let me know which one you prefer", then I misunderstood.

Bob In PA

Traded him to a team w/a good chance to get a ring now & at least one chance to punch the Eagles in the face. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

PSUBeirut

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 12:47:40 PMMaybe I interpreted it wrong, but I was under the impression after reading it that Schoen said something to the effect of, "let me know by 4pm today" (if you're ok with being traded to Seattle.) Ie, if you're ok with being traded at all.

If he in fact meant, "we're trading you definitely. It can be one of a few different teams. Let me know which one you prefer", then I misunderstood.

Definitely think you're interpreting it wrong.  I see no inkling of evidence of "a GM who seeks players' permission before trading them and allows them to be the final decision maker, even in the event that the GM thinks their decision is not in the best interests of the organization".  (which of course...would be a completely stupid approach). 

I see zero downsides to what Schoen did here and nothing but positives.  It's a very professional and classy way to handle players, especially vets, and I'm glad in this very human business we have a GM that treats people with the respect they've earned in the league.

Uni

Gmo11

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 02, 2023, 01:33:27 PMDefinitely think you're interpreting it wrong.  I see no inkling of evidence of "a GM who seeks players' permission before trading them and allows them to be the final decision maker, even in the event that the GM thinks their decision is not in the best interests of the organization".  (which of course...would be a completely stupid approach). 

I see zero downsides to what Schoen did here and nothing but positives.  It's a very professional and classy way to handle players, especially vets, and I'm glad in this very human business we have a GM that treats people with the respect they've earned in the league.

Completely agree.  I would find it shocking to think any GM even a good person like Schoen would go so far as to say "Seattle is offering a 2nd round pick for your ass but if you don't like coffee that much we'll keep you around here instead". This was likely more "I have 3 great offers for your services, you're going somewhere, where would you like to go?"

MightyGiants

I get what you're saying and it's a fair point.   Although I believe there are ways to make a player feel involved and feel like they have a choice or at least input without totally being at their mercy.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE